BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my last fuel strip lasted 600 miles About three months I have a two year warranty on it so I guess I’ll let them replace it again but I will start looking for the float parts to change it permanently. Had it out this weekend as soon as I left the house it was flashing low fuel. I was bummed tried to ignore it. I enjoyed my ride bike is amazing. Couple people took pictures of it at a bike hang out😃

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
53 Posts
Perhaps you could make a deal with your local dealer? Tell them you will quit bringing your fuel strip back for replacement if he cuts you a deal on some of the upgrades to a float system. They will most likely say no but you can waste a lot of your and their time having the fuel strip replaced every few months on a two year warranty. Never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree On getting the float done it’s just I’m juggling so many things right now I ain’t got time to even think about scrambling for parts for that. Between work juggling my cancer shit and a three week vacation coming up in three weeks I’m swamped. Let alone keeping my nine bikes all in check. I want the thing working for this season maybe I’ll tackle it for a winter project

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took my receipt down to the dealer now they agreed I have a two year warranty it’s been seven months they made an appointment to put a new fuel strip in it and I asked them are you telling me that BMW all this time has not made a better fuel strip that can tolerate today’s fuels and they said no I also asked them if I wanna go to the float do you know all the parts I need and they said no so I would have to get part numbers that was talked about in one of the previous threads about this damn thing which I know some people went way above the call of duty to help us out which is greatly appreciated I’m not that electrically Incline but when I have time between now and the next time this piece of crap goes out I will start looking and gathering parts I guess I wonder what it would cost to buy all new parts ? But I love the bike and I will not let this frustration steer me to sell it

·
Registered
158 Posts
I too love this bike. It's smooth, comfortable, fast as hell, and on the highway no one can keep you where you don't want to be. Nothing is ever perfect and I got to give BMW credit, they do work on things model year by model year to improve their products. I believe it's worth it to work and fix the little things here and there, what else am I going to do?
For about $190 for everything you will eliminate this problem. That figure includes the OBD II tool and the software. You can use the tool and software for other bikes and cars too.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
679 Posts
Oli.... BMW never had a float fix for the strip. It is all aftermarket solution with parts people suggest you use. If I remember correctly a fellow in the Neatherlands has a kit. Some research on your part will come up with a solution.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I know but. du907 Has a fix using BMW parts used from eBay. He is definitely a problem solver About this issue

·
Registered
65 Posts
I put together a pdf file with Du907s instructions and pictures. (Thanks Du907) for my own use. I've attached it here as it may help.
The only thing it doesn't have is part numbers, but the parts list is there, so it will just take a little googling. You'll probably be buying the parts second hand on ebay anyway, so the name is more relevant.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I actually haven't done it yet as my fuel strip hasn't failed (now I've done it!). It was more preventative information gathering.
I'd say the worse bit is taking everything off, the actual swap looks pretty straightforwards.
Here's another discussion on this forum regarding the swap.

·
Registered
2005 K1200s 78,000+ miles going strong
7 Posts
That PDF writeup is great... Is it easier than it looks? It looks like a PITA.
I did the conversion a few weeks ago on my 2005 K1200s. Apart from mine having the metal filler neck (so I had to nip into work Sunday morning and MiG weld the Float frame to my filler), it was pretty straight forward - I only needed normal Home mechanic tools (including Torx sockets) and simply followed du907's instructions step-by-step. If you're pushed for time and want to keep your bike running, there is no reason why you couldn't break the job down and say for example, remove/instal the tank and do the float fitment and then when convenient do the terminal swap another time (or vice versa). The only downside to this way is that your fuel gauge wont work until everything is done! I actually did the reprogramming bit before doing the rest of the conversion, just because my OBD link tool and cable got delivered first and I wanted to see if they worked - obviously it didn't make the gauge work at that point, but it didn't cause any problems running either.

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
53 Posts
I did mine in two stages as K1200sJools suggested. No problems just continued saying it was low on fuel until I completed the change over.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps you could make a deal with your local dealer? Tell them you will quit bringing your fuel strip back for replacement if he cuts you a deal on some of the upgrades to a float system. They will most likely say no but you can waste a lot of your and their time having the fuel strip replaced every few months on a two year warranty. Never hurts to ask.
I tried to persuade at the dealer into helping me with the upgrades to the float. They weren’t buying that. I also told themh that I could not believe BMW had not made an upgraded Fuel strip that was more tolerable to today’s fuels or what ever the problem is with these things

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but I'm curious for anyone who has done the float conversion, how accurate is it? My original fuel strip has been out for almost a year, and I've never bothered to replace it, as it was never very accurate even when working. I've been resetting my mileage count at every fill up to keep track, but I'd consider moving to the float if it's both reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
53 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but I'm curious for anyone who has done the float conversion, how accurate is it? My original fuel strip has been out for almost a year, and I've never bothered to replace it, as it was never very accurate even when working. I've been resetting my mileage count at every fill up to keep track, but I'd consider moving to the float if it's both reliable and accurate.
I did the conversion last fall using all used parts I got off Ebay. Works fine, is very consistent/reliable over the 9,000 plus miles since installed. My third fuel strip always showed full for three seasons then one day decided to show empty and low fuel warnings. That is the only reason I made the switch. Used mileage previously just like in the old days.

·
Registered
158 Posts
cmack,
There are a couple things in this discussion that everyone needs to keep sight of. BMW went to the float sensor after so many problems with the fuel strip. I had a 1985 K100RT and the fuel level sensor in it was based on pressure, the more fuel in the tank the more pressure on the sensor and that value was converted for the fuel gauge. With the fuel strip BMW was messing around with another way to send a value to the fuel gauge. After all the problems with the fuel strip, on the K1300S they went back to the tried and true float sensor. The float style sensor has been around for many many years. I have basically the same thing in my 1966 Mustang.
To answer your question a float type sensor accuracy would be depended on the adjustment of the arm on install. My K1200S owners manual states that the low fuel light will come on when there is 1.1 gallons of gas left in the tank. When I did my conversion I had drained all the gas out of the tank. So when I was finished installing all the parts, I measured out and put in exactly 1.1 gallons of gas in my tank.
Turned the key and the low fuel light and yellow triangle came on and I believe one bar on the fuel gauge. I then added 1 more gallon and the low fuel lights went out and a bar or two showed on the fuel gauge. So now I had a bench mark of what my gauge was showing and what I actually had in the tank. It's been accurate for over a year now. So if you want to adjust your float to give you a certain reading all you have to do is bend the rod a little to get the desired reading. Simple, I like simple.

·
Registered
2005 K1200s 78,000+ miles going strong
7 Posts
Hi, mrdryclutch and I had a bit of exchange of info which may be relevant to your question here; Fuel Strip thought
When I installed my new float, I put in 6 litres from totally bone dry before the light went out, which I think compares pretty well with du907's quoted above 1.1 gallons. As far as I am concerned my float fuel gauge is now as good and reliable as any fuel gauge (either bike, car or HGV) I've experienced anywhere in 30+ years driving/riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts