BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
94 K75 Fuel Tank Replacement Blues

Hi Folks-

So my 1994 K75 Standard developed the common leaks at the low point in the fuel tank. I tried to repair it with the very-tough Caswell epoxy coating. That would have worked well, but apparently it expands tremendously on curing, and the amount I used caused a large block hardened epoxy to form. The fuel pump would not fit back into place. I tried drilling it out, but its just too tough, and then I poked a hole straight through.

The original tank was stamped M27A4 E03 on the mounting tabs.

After poring over the scare online listings, I gave up on getting on in my original color (Classic Black)

I bought a replacement tank that I believed would fit from a very reasonable online vendor. He gave me a good price, but the tank turned out to be the wrong part. Note: newer K75 Standard tanks have a much wider tunnel for the frame, and wider-spaced front mounting tabs. This replacement tank was narrower. This tank was stamped C F03

I then resolved to buy a tank on ebay that looked just right. It seems to be the right part, but apparently someone repaired the fuel line in/out tubes and they are tilted too far forward. The tank won't mount. Its stamped M2213 A04 E01

More notes, just in case anyone else has this problem: K75RT tanks won't work on the Standard. They use the larger tank from the K100. Also, you need the pin mounts to hold the radiator fairing in place.

At this point I am arranging to send both tanks back to their dealers. I am just about ready to buy a new tank in primer from BMW, just to be sure it will fit.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The older tank you bought can be made to work; the wider front mounting points on the frame are simply extensions. Using a pair of pliers, work the extensions out, then reinstall the rubber mounts. The next problem is that your newer fuel pump won't work in the older tank, but buying an old-style pump and mount will fix that, and you'll have more reliable pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I just went out and checked, and the wider mount points on my bike are full-width tubes welded to the frame. No extensions.

54089093 said:
The older tank you bought can be made to work; the wider front mounting points on the frame are simply extensions. Using a pair of pliers, work the extensions out, then reinstall the rubber mounts. The next problem is that your newer fuel pump won't work in the older tank, but buying an old-style pump and mount will fix that, and you'll have more reliable pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts