BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my bike in at the dealer to discover why its running so rough. Only change was sitting in drizzle for 3 days. Went to ride it and it missed, coughed, two-stroked etc. and ran like a carbureted bike with dirty carbs. First it would idle at 2000 then on way to dealer it would kill at stoplights. 54,000 miles, never had before. Filled tank with fresh premium so water in fuel is not the issue. The cat smells super hot when I stop so its running rich. They plugged it in and got a knock sensor and O2 sensor indicators but that's it.

Anyone else have this problem? Got to test ride a K16GT and the new RT while I waited. Bike is still there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It sounds like a coil pack or two, i.e non-ignited fuel going into the converter. Maybe the wet conditon has caused this..... Once they fix the core problem you'll want to take it out and burn that stuff out of the converter as soon as you can.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they found a bad spark plug, replaced all 4 and of course the radiator fluid. Told me it was ready but when I picked it up and left I knew it wasn't and brought it back. Then they said the knock sensor was reading the cam chain hitting the cover. Left it again, I had them replace the tensioner with the new one and the knock went away but it still fuels too rich.

Bike still at dealer. They began diagnostics - checked compression, valves and cam timing thinking the chain had stretched. All checked out OK. They don't know what's causing it to run rich.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not so bad, the coils seem to have lasted almost 10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Dumb questions:

1. Is there an easy way to tell if the ignition coils are bad or going bad without disassembling half the bike?

2. Is there a good way to test them to see if they are going bad, as long as you have the radiator pulled off anyway?

3. Should you replace ignition coils preemptively after a certain number of years or miles? (If so, which is it, miles or years?)

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I believe the GS-911 can read engine faults related to the coils.

Some of the K1600 guys have also found this to be an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts