BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Fun and codes 馃槃

514 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Spokexx
So I have a 2008 K 1200 S I picked up in January. Among lots of work performed on the machine at the dealer, the fuel pump and fuel level signal was changed, and the bike only had 7000 miles. I think in another post somewhere else I mentioned that the engine was cutting off severely on a ride far away from home. It was hard to restart and kept cutting off. Carried on like this for miles until I refilled with some seafoam. Thought it was bad gas. So it ran fine all the way home the next day, 200 miles. The bike did it again just a week or so ago and I know for sure it was not bad gas. I finally got one of those OBD link Tools and Motoscan and I got digging into the system. It鈥檚 pretty fun getting in there. I feel important :LOL: Anyway a code came up, 27B8 Electric fuel pump. I attached the description screen from Motoscan. I clear the code, but haven鈥檛 taken the bike for a ride yet. Maybe this code was there from before and never cleared out but looking at the data on the screenshot, does anything look suspicious.??
Much appreciation. Drew.
Font Electric blue Screenshot Number Darkness
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I鈥檓 not familiar with motoscan but the engine revs at 560 rpm is very low. Also be aware that in bmw speak the electronic fuel pump is not the fuel pump but item 5 in the attached diagram
Product Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle
See less See more
ohhh yes. Part #5 is the fuel pump control module. I鈥檝e read elsewhere on this site that this part can become flaky and need replacement. Hmmmm.

I鈥檓 not familiar with motoscan but the engine revs at 560 rpm is very low. Also be aware that in bmw speak the electronic fuel pump is not the fuel pump but item 5 in the attached diagram
View attachment 33857
Also. I did a ride yesterday and checked for codes after and nothing was there. The bike ran fine.
Also. I did a ride yesterday and checked for codes after and nothing was there. The bike ran fine.
Here we go again. Good to know your problem has resolved at least for a bit. I still think overall quality of fuel is really important on these high compression machines. Thanks for the post and the update.
Try pulling the connector and cleaning the contacts
Reactions: 1
Try pulling the connector and cleaning the contacts
On a K1300s, that would require removing the Fuel Tank, to gain access.
Might as well put a brand new (latest & greatest supersession) FP Controller in.
I believe they're under $150.

Do these FP Controllers vary the FP Voltage, or are they just a glorified relay?

Just changed my FP, but left the existing controller.
Hope I don't regret not changing it, when I had the chance.
You shouldn鈥檛 need to remove the tank. I think you can elevate it from the rear
I just wonder if the fuel pump controller goes bad will a code show up ? Hmmm
I just wonder if the fuel pump controller goes bad will a code show up ? Hmmm
You did get a code, right?
I think the effectively Zero Fuel Pressure (assuming w/ Ign on), is what set it.

If dealer changed FP, they most likely reset the codes, so guessing yours is new.

BTW - This is what my Stored Code was, regarding my Fuel Pump.

Font Electric blue Multimedia Display device Screenshot

Font Screenshot Multimedia Darkness Number
See less See more
Yes. When I first connected and opened up Moto scan, I saw that code. I reset it, and then went for a ride. But my stalling issue has not happened since. If it does happen again, I will most definitely fire up Moto scan and see what鈥檚 going on.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts