BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
K1200RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting problem: While looking for a place to pull the trigger wire for the relay for my heated seat install, I shorted and blew the 4-amp fuse for the parking lights and ABS Control Unit. 4-amp mini blade fuses are like hen's teeth in my area. No one (auto parts, electrical distributors, motorcycle dealers, etc.) carries them anymore. I can get 3-amp and 5-amp but 4-amp fuses are almost unobtanium. I've ordered some 4's but for the time being, I've pulled the 4-amp fuse from the horn circuit, pu it in the ABS circuit, and am using a 3-amp in the horn circuit.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could I safely go up from a 4-amp to a 5-amp fuse or should I stick with the 3-amp fuse?

BTW, the closest BMW dealer (car or bike) is 200-km away.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mike, I do not see any problem leaving a 3 amps fuse for a single horn for a while (assuming it is a stock horn setup). Even more so if you are 1 amp below the factory fuse - so the circuit / wiring is protected even more than with a 4 Amps. Furthermore, a Horn is not being triggered (under load) very often or very long.

HOWEVER , for a 2004 model like yours something in your post above is NOT right:
Based on owner`s manual photo (see below) the stock fuse configuration for 2003-2005 is a 15 amps fuse for the combined circuit of Horn PLUS optional Alarm system in position 3 of left fuse-box. To make things more confusing , the factory electrical diagrams (from BMW , not from CLYMER) show a 10 amps fuse there for Horn and Alarm.

Are you sure this position 3 had a 4 amps fuse on your 2004 model ?

Font Parallel Musical instrument accessory Newspaper Engineering

·
Registered
K1200RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

I rechecked Clymer's against the Owner's handbook against what is installed. So here's what I've got:
  • The fuses that I swapped are number 6 and number 8 and both of those were 4-amp fuses. In tracing the Clymer's circuit diagrams, I mistook the horn circuit for the parking lamps circuit.
  • Fuse 8 on my bike was a 4-amp fuse. It's currently (Freudian slip) running a 3-amp fuse until the 4-amp fuses that I ordered arrive. Rode the bike t work today and everything is working OK.
  • I haven't got the optional alarm system so Fuse 3 on my bike is 10-amps.
  • There are no 15-amp fuses in either of the fuse distribution boxes.

The circuit fuses on my bike are:
Circuit 1 - 10-amps
Circuit 2 - 10-amps
Circuit 3 - 10-amps
Circuit 4 - 7.5-amps
Circuit 5 - 7.5-amps
Circuit 6 - 4-amps
Circuit 7 - 4-amps
Circuit 8 - 4-amps (presently running 3-amps)
Circuit 9 - 10-amps
Circuit 10 - 10-amps
Circuit 11 - Not used
Circuit 12 - Not used
Circuit 13 - 7.5-amps
Circuit 14 - 4-amps
Circuit 15 - 4-amps
Circuit 16 - Not used

I've no idea what Fuse 14 feeds. According to the drawing in the picture you posted, the position is not used but on my bike there is a 4-amp fuse. Guess I'll have to turn everything on and pull the fuse to see what goes off.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: sailor
1 - 3 of 3 Posts