BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
As i get increasingly excited about my K1200GT SE arriving [ 1st Sept ] i decided to get my GPS sorted for our trip to Europe on the 8th September. After not being able to choose between the Garmin 2820 & the BMW Nav iii i decided to choose the Garmin mainly because i wasn't able to get anyone to persuaded me that the BMW one was worth the extra money. So i ordered one with a mounting bracket from off the internet , everything seemed ok but upon printing off my receipt i noticed it said '' Garmin do not recommend this for use on a motorcycle due to vibration effect on internal hard drive'' ?

I spoke to the seller and she was as suprised by this as well. Can anyone help me and tell me surely the Garmin 2820 is safe to use on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I'm surprised that the memo said that it was not recommended for use on a motorcycle.

According to paragraph 7 on Garmin's site on the 2820, it says it's for use in a car or motorcycle. Link: Garmin 2820

·
133 Posts
i wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't worry you are not on a Harley-Just Joking. Someone Correct me if i am wrong but i am not sure you can buy a new Garmain that uses a memory card. In my humble opinion, This is the greatest gadget you can add to a touring machine.( Besides a radar detector so you still have a lisc). You can use a number of different devices to run the sound to your helmet andThis way you can get talking instructions.

Retroboy

·
Registered
9 Posts
it works fine

I have the Garmin 2820, with XM radio. I'm very happy with the product. I have ridden approx 2000 miles with it on my new GT and haven't had any problems. It has been through rain, and has been great. I researched this product for awhile and bought when it first became available for the primary use to be on the motorcycle. At Garmin web sight it does state for motorcycles/cars.

·
Registered
97 Posts
XM and bt

Do you have anything to say about its xm and bt capabilities? Do you really need a 250 dollar antenna for the xm?

·
Registered
68 Posts
tfkelly said:
Do you have anything to say about its xm and bt capabilities? Do you really need a 250 dollar antenna for the xm?
i have the garmin 376C....
also with XM
it is WORTH any amount of money
the reception is perfect... and once you have XM (or sirius) you'll never go back to radio again
to be able to listen to the same station coast-to-coast is a small modern miracle, in my estimation

·
The Gov
660 Posts
HAPPYDAVID said:
I have the Garmin 2820, with XM radio. I'm very happy with the product. I have ridden approx 2000 miles with it on my new GT and haven't had any problems. It has been through rain, and has been great. I researched this product for awhile and bought when it first became available for the primary use to be on the motorcycle. At Garmin web sight it does state for motorcycles/cars.
+1 :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts