BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here comes the unit I have been waiting for--XM and MP3 player in the 26xx/27xx box. I can use all my 2610 mounts and power/audio cables. Street price running about $900 and available in December. Now waiting for XM to offer a WX lite at something less than the $30/month for the cheapest plan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, looks like this MAY be the one.

My only concern is the built-in City Navigator. As I understand the 2720, it too has this and you CAN NOT layout a trip on your PC an the download to the unit, nor can you upload a just completed trip. To some, this makes the unit worthless.

I read about the downloadabble POI, but that is all that they discuss.

There were some other negatives of the 2720.....I wonder if this unit kept those? Will have to do a search to find out what they were.

Searched the archives.....the other main complaint was that it didn't support the transparent overlays. One poster claims that you can purchase the PC software and download to the 2720, even though it is not supported.

I downloaded the operators manual. Can't find the detailed specs as in if it uses internal memory or a hard drive. How much memory is for MP3, custom POI, etec.

bmwsporttouring website claims that is is a dumbed down XM WX weather and that the XM traffic is updated only by phone calls and not accurate. Not sure how he knows.

Randy

·
Registered
130 Posts
The manual states "Map Storage: Pre-programmed internal memory." Compare that to the 26xx series which states internal hard drive. No info on how the memory is divided. Curiously, the flash drive screen shots don't show the capacity - how convenient.

As for the traffic info, it's an XM service - no phone update required (except perhaps to activate the service).

I'm curious about how this compares to the 376 (screen brightness, features, etc.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Garmin 2730

Garmin has negotiated an XM bundle for $16.94/month (radio, wx and navtraffic) plus a one time activation fee. I've spoken with both Garmin and XM today and no one really knows what will be included in the weather package--as long as it has radar I will be happy with that price. I don't usually plan trips on the computer or download tracks that often so the lack of that feature will not other me. The biggest difference between the 26xx/27xx boxes and the 376 is the touch screen. Once you are used to the touch screen it is very hard to go back to scrolling up and down and across an alpahbet in order to spell out anything. I used my GPS V this past weekend and lose of touchscreen spelling was a bit frustrating and s...l...o...w.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you misunderstood me about the XM Traffic and phone calls. What the poster on bmwsportouring.com said is that they update the traffice conditions based on people calling in problems. In other words you are driving down the road and see and accident and you call it in, then they mark it as an accident there.

Our local radio stations use a combination of things. Traffic Aircraft, On-line Traffic Cameras, Police Department contacts AND listeners calling in (it takes at least 3 callers to "validate" the problem). IF XM is only using the call-in proceedure, then it IS worthless. IF XM uses a local radio station's info and then enters that data, then it is probably worthwhile.

Hopefullly it does have NEXRAD radar. If it does, I will most likely get one too. If no radar, no purchase. The statement of a "dumbed down XM weather" seems to be true if the pricing is less than $17/month for all of it. The 376 users are paying twice that for weahter and XM and NO TRAFFIC!

Like I stated - I am not sure where the poster got his/her info!

Randy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry, Randy. Misunderstood indeed.

Reading up on the traffic feature, it's typically based mostly on road-bed sensors and traffic cameras that monitor traffic flow in metro areas. The information feeds to central traffic control systems that the local radio and tv stations access for their reports. In turn, commercial providers (like XM) make it available to consumers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good info....where did you find this? Looks like the other poster was wrong!

Thanks!

Randy

·
Registered
130 Posts
One source was Traffic Pulse found at traffic.com. This is one of the services that XM uses for their live traffic info.. According to the traffic pulse site:

Where does Traffic.com get traffic information?

We get our information from three types of sources: digital traffic sensors, those of our commercial and government partners, and our traffic operations staff. Our own network of sensors is already deployed in many major metropolitan areas, and is rapidly expanding to additional cities. Where local or state government agencies have available data from their sensors or systems, we integrate as much of that data as possible as well. Finally, we maintain a traffic operations staff to monitor traffic conditions in each of the cities we serve.

The traffic operations staff use a variety of means (such as listening to police and fire scanners, monitoring traffic cameras, driving cars, and flying helicopters or fixed wing aircraft) to collect information and enter into our systems. All of the information we get from these varied sources is combined together to provide you with the most complete, accurate and timely traffic information possible.

They go on to say the measured information is updated every 60 seconds. That's about as close to real time for stalled traffic as could be expected.

·
Registered
130 Posts
SReynen,
That's good news on the XM package. Considering radio-only is $12+, $16 for the package is a good deal (as long as it can be the base service in a multi-radio account).

I'm really interested in the visibility difference, if any, between the 376 and 2730. Borrowed my wife's street pilot III for one trip and had to shade the screen to see anything. Your comments would be appreciated (on the 26xx brightness, since you have one).

I emailed Garmin to try and get specifics on the capacity for MP3's, flash disk, etc. Also wanted more info on memory augmentation, like CF or anything else that might be available.

Oh Christmas is going to be so much fun - my lady knows I really want a Garmin, Autocomm's are half price, and she loves her music!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Screen readability

I used a shade on my 2610 (now a Nav II) and it helped a lot. The 2730 has a "sunlight readable TFT display" like the 376, so sunlight reading should not present a problem.

The Garmin guy I talked to said the CF compartment is gone and all extra memory is done internally. According to Joe Mehaffey the newer 2720 are shipping with software for trip planning on a PC that can then be downloaded to the GPS--I would assume that will be trur for the 2730 too, but who knows?

The Navtraffic part ofo the XM packae sounds pretty cool and I was reading more about it last night--with 14 Chicago transits this past year it may come in handy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have always felt that the 26XX displays were marginal in the sunlight. The 276c looks MUCH better and is the same display that the 376c uses. I have not seen the 27XX displays which are supposed to be much improved (higher resolution and brighter).

Garmin lists the 27XX displays as being a 454 X 240, 17:9 WQVGA Sunlight Readable TFT Touchscreen display.
Garmin lists the 276/376 displays as a 480 X 320, 3:2 VGA, Sunlight Readable TFT display.
So, they BOTH use the same wording which is promissing. They both appear to be high resolution, sunlight diplays that are diffrentiated by the touchscreen interface and their aspect ratios.

They sure make it difficult to decide! A summary of the 2730 vs. the 376c as I understand (please add/correct):

Advanatages - Touchscreen, fully loaded North America maps, MP3, XM Traffic. New bundled deal on XM services about 1/2 price of the current 376c offering.
Disadvantages - Bike powered unless you purchase an optional battery. More expensive.
Unknowns - Memory details - how much room for MP3, etc. Can it be expanded?
May not support PC routing upload/downloads,
Weather details - does the reduced price XM package include NEXRAD radar?

376c
Advantages - Includes rechargeable LiIon battery for hotel room programming, includes City Select DVD for PC routing...both combined make trip planning easier. Less expensive.
Disadvanatages - No XM Traffic. No MP3. Current XM package is about $35/month for everything.
Proprietary data card that currently is not available in a large enough version to hold all of North America (ones that are avaialbe are small and expensive).

Randy

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been searching around on the web and have found what seems like a pretty good price already (since it hasn't started shipping yet).....$899.95 plus $9.99 shipping to Georgia....not bad! From Adventure Station.

Steve informed me that my link (now removed) required a log-in. I never logged in to anything, but was linked to Adventure Station from another site (I did not login to it either). Here is how I got there....wish it was simply a click...sorry!

I visited TravelByGPS and clicked on Mobile Electronics> Automotive which took me into Adventure Station. From there, I entered 2730 in the search box which took me to their intro page about the 2730. Click on it and you are there! To get pricing, simply click add to cart and then go look at your shopping cart.

Anyone found similar/better?

Randy

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
htheater said:
My only concern is the built-in City Navigator. As I understand the 2720, it too has this and you CAN NOT layout a trip on your PC an the download to the unit, nor can you upload a just completed trip. To some, this makes the unit worthless.
The 2720 does come with City Navigator CD and a USB cable. You CAN connect it to your PC and download routes. There are other "features" of the 2720 that I dislike, but it's liveable. I don't see anything in the box about XM features. There is an optional FM antenna for getting traffic reports, but it costs an extra $200 plus the $60 per year subscription fee. Too much just to avoid an occasional traffic jam.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for the input...I looked through the archives and, appartenlty the 2720 did not originally come with the City Navigator DVD and Garmin had told many it was not compatible with it. I don't know if they updated firmware or what, because now the Garmin site shows it IS compatible with the CN DVD, but, it still shows that it doesn't ship with it. Maybe the site is wrong, you got lucky OR, since it was an extended warranty issue, they gave it to you since you had it on the 2610??

The GOOD NEWS is that the 2730 NOW shows it is compatible with the CN DVD.....the first time I looked it was NOT listed. It still shows that it is an OPTION and not included. Same with the retailer sites I have read. I guess we will find out when it ships.

The BAD NEWS is that it appears that NEXRAD radar is NOT included. From the Adventure Station website:

Additionally, the StreetPilot 2730 can also receive XM weather data*. Current weather conditions for over 2,000 locations, and weather forecasts for 162 cities, are displayed on-screen. United States county storm and flood warnings are also highlighted, allowing motorists to make prudent driving decisions.
No mention of radar like the 376c.

An interesting thing that I just noticed is that the 2730 includes a built-in FM TRANSMITTER to send the MP3 files and turn-by-turn data to your car/bike stereo. This means I can add an FM receiver to my iPod and hear it without having any wires attaching me to the bike!!!

This really sounds like a neat unit!

Also, I read your post comparing the 2720 to the 2610. Thanks for taking the time to let us know the good and the bad! Looking at the Owners Manual, it appears that the 2730's menu system is similar or the same as the 2720.

Randy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2730 and nexrad

As long as the unit has xm capabilities I am sure you can get any xm product--just depends on whether or not you want to ante up for it. $16.94 for radio, wx, and traffic did seem too good to be true to include radar; that is the main thng I want from the wx package.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2730 and NEXRAD

Just got off the phone with Garmin and TVNAV--the 2730 will NOT support NEXRAD! Bummer!! Looks like the only bike friendly unit that does NEXRAD is still the 376C. I was hoping I could use my 2610 mounts and audio cables on my next xm capable unit. Oh well, let's see what Garmin comes up with over the winter before the riding season resumes here in WI.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, finally got a response to my email. According to Garmin Sales Support:

1) The unit DOES ship with the fully unlocked City Navigator DVD.

2) The unit has WEATHER FORCASTING ONLY! It DOES NOT support NEXRAD (as per previous post) even if you subscribe to the XM NEXRAD servcie (the unit doe not know how to process and display the radar data). At this time they do not intend on updating the 2730 firmware to accept this data. [[Too bad we don't get to decide by purchasing the subscription we want!]]

3) Like the 2720, it does NOT support the TRANSPARENT modes and they do not plan on adding this at this time. They feel that since the unit is a much higher resolution than the 2610, you can display the same map info, plus have the other info on the sides. [[I think their logic stinks!]]

4) Like the 2720, it does NOT support secondary and tertiary hard button modes like the 2610 did. In my email I mentioned the safety factor of "pressing and holding" a button versus having to look down and navigate a menu system, especially for a gloved motorcyclist. They said that they had not thought of that and that they would pass it along to their engineers for considertation in a future update. IF enough of us write Garmin and suggest it, maybet it will happen....how about it guys??

They did NOT reply back to my inquiry of memory allocation (how much for maps vs. MP3) nor ANY info at all on the memory size, etc.

Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
2730 mp3 storage

I spoke with a rep from Garmin on Wednesday and was told the following:

The storage media is definitely solid-state--no hard drive (already known I believe)

The 750MB of storage space listed in the specs for additional maps is also used for Audio Books and mp3's. So maximum storage space for mp3's would be 750MB.

It falls in the middle (storage capacity-wise) of the two IPod Shuffle models and should hold in the range of 180 songs. Not great but if the Shuffle works for anyone then the Garmin would be fine as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
r,

Thanks for the update....seems Garmin is letting the info out little by little. I did know that the memory was solid state like the 2720, but did not know the type, size or allocation.

You stated that "The 750MB of storage space listed in the specs for additional maps is also used for Audio Books and mp3's. So maximum storage space for mp3's would be 750MB." Where did you find specs that even mention the 750mb?? I just went to the site and could not find it. The link to the spec page that is in the Owner's Manual STILL sends you to the 2720 Spec page and it doesn't mention anything there. Just curious.

I am still torn....the 2730 or the 376c. Neither is ideal, but both are damn close!

Randy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts