BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Navigator II unit. I got the Garmin "City Navigator North America 2009" DVD. Needless to say, I attempted the update using the limited instructions provided. Nothing but problems. I was able to go to the Garmin web site and obtain an unlock code. Attempted the update again. Now I get a message that says there's not enough available space on the unit (are they referring to the GPS unit itself?) and I must free some space by deleting supplemental maps. How do I do that? Getting a little frustrated. It doesn't help that I'm not very computer savvy. Anybody got any pointers or advice?

Thanx,

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
mser said:
I've got a Navigator II unit. I got the Garmin "City Navigator North America 2009" DVD. Needless to say, I attempted the update using the limited instructions provided. Nothing but problems. I was able to go to the Garmin web site and obtain an unlock code. Attempted the update again. Now I get a message that says there's not enough available space on the unit (are they referring to the GPS unit itself?) and I must free some space by deleting supplemental maps. How do I do that? Getting a little frustrated. It doesn't help that I'm not very computer savvy. Anybody got any pointers or advice?

Thanx,

Mike
If it's 2009 NT it isn't compatible with non "NT" units

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All that's printed on the package is "Mapsource Update DVD, City Navigator North America 2009". It's apparently NOT the NT version. I called Garmin directly, told them what unit I had, and they told me what to order. I got the update installed onto my computer, but can't get it installed onto the GPS unit. Their very limited instructions absolutely suck!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Have you updated your firmware recently? The NAV II is very close to the Garmin 2610.

Go to the BMW site and try the Updater first for the firmware. Here's the link. It's near the bottom of the page under GPS.

I'd also go to the Garmin website and download the current version of MapSource before you get down to installing the maps (i.e. City Navigator) stuff.

Do both of those first, then try loading your mapping software. Sometimes without the current firmware and MapSource updates the thing won't load the maps.

If your map's DVD case says "City Navigator" in "blue" it should be the correct version. The NT version has "black" lettering for "City Navigator" and it won't work.

(Hopefully you aren't using an Apple Mac! Then all bets are off.)

I've been away from the older units too long. Doesn't that model have a removable Compact Flash card where you load the maps onto it? If it does, you may be able to back-up all the maps and stuff (for safe keeping should you need it again) off it to your computer, and then try loading the maps to it. I seem to recall loading my old BMW Navigator II+ that way through latest version of MapSource. When you select all your maps in MapSource, in the left pane at the bottom you should see the size of the file. Hopefully the CF card is a bit larger than that or you might select fewer maps to load.

Mack

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got the same message updating my zumo, and had to opt for the lower 49 states only, where I use to have North America. I guess the maps are getting much more detailed, but one thing you can do, is delete all the foriegn voices which you don't use, that freed up a lot of space for me.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Did Garmin almost double the price for update DVD in the States?
I tried to buy a City Europe'09 Nav update DVD this year and they wanted more than 120 backs instead of 70 past year.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Vlad I would suggest not buying the CD's, they have a new program which many of us have used. It's called lifetime update, and cost me about $120.00 US. It allows you to update one Garmin device 4 times per year for life. It's done online, no disc involved, you plug your GPS into the computer, and the file is first down loaded to your computer, then from the computer to the GPS. I think this is the way to go since in the long run it's much cheaper. Start here create an account https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

·
Registered
166 Posts
I saw someplace else that folks with 2730 were having the problem running out of memory and Garmin told then the new maps had a lot more data so they could only load a smaller area :wtf:

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
Vlad I would suggest not buying the CD's, they have a new program which many of us have used. It's called lifetime update, and cost me about $120.00 US. It allows you to update one Garmin device 4 times per year for life. It's done online, no disc involved, you plug your GPS into the computer, and the file is first down loaded to your computer, then from the computer to the GPS. I think this is the way to go since in the long run it's much cheaper. Start here create an account https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces
I have the lifetime update for my Zumo 660, and it has worked well on my Mac. It updates the maps for the RoadTrip software as well as the maps on the Zumo 660. I have seen two updates since I got the Zumo in early July. (Explanation: The Zumo came with a 2009 map so I updated to the then-current 2010.10 map. In late July, Garmin released the 2010.20 map.)

The only thing to keep in mind is that the updates are VERY large (2.5 to 3 Gbytes) and can take a long time to download. Furthermore, it takes a long time to load from my computer to the Zumo over the USB connection. This is a good task to start when you go to bed; by morning it should be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts