BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
If that thing does what it says it can do, and does it well - it could be the end all be all. If it had a V1 built into it, it could be the best gadget for a bike ever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the end-all-be-all for me would be if you could somehow hook up a V1 and an Autocom via Bluetooth or USB and all the audio controls for each were on the screen. That would rock!

I don't think I'd want them all in one unit, though, for sake of upgrades and modularity. And I wouldn't need bike-to-bike or pillion comm while I had the GPS in the car.

Now that I think about it, it would be nice if the Garmin made a version like their PDAs in this form factor that allowed other vendors to add custom apps to do these types of things. The GPS would be more like a control station.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The end all - be all would be not needing radar, or caring where we were wherever we were. All these gadgets translate to the cost of a two hour ride being about $200, or more given ride time for busy people.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, "end-all-be-all" is just a figure of speech, obviously it's never actually possible. Hopefully you would constraint the context to reality in some measure.

I'm on my bike at least 45min a day about most of the year, plus longer trips from time to time. Some of these gadgets make it easier and fun. Though I don't own a radar detector and I really don't plan to. I'll probably regret that at some point. ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
JLane said:
Ugh, and I was about to pick up a 2820, too. This looks really nice.

http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

I like that it's bike or battery-powered so you can use it on the go. And it uses SD card storage so it's not limited to 2GB like the 2820. Nice. Looks like I just have to wait until October though. :(
I thought that the 2820's expansion slot was SD Card also?

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2820 two weeks ago...glad that my trip was postponed by a month...

·
Registered
214 Posts
shook sez said:
Is there anyone here "in-the-know" that may know if Garmin has some agreement with XM satellite radio?

I'm a Sirius subscriber and it would be nice that if Garmin chooses to include satellite radio capability into their units they at least offered the option to choose between the two major providers in the USA.

XM not withstanding, This new GPS unit looks nice. I just hate to pay for an option I can't use. If I can't have Sirius then I'd rather have the same unit without the installed XM for a little lower price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kl3640 said:
I thought that the 2820's expansion slot was SD Card also?

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2820 two weeks ago...glad that my trip was postponed by a month...
I'm in the same boat, I was about to spring for a 2820 when I saw this.

Nope, no SD on the 2820, just 2GB on-board storage. I believe I read someone saying that with loaded maps, you're left with about 700MB of space for MP3's. That's 10 or so albums worth of music, but I'd still rather have an SD slot to carry around more choices in tunes/audiobooks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's not yet clear how much (if any) on-board storage the Zumo has, or whether it relies solely on SD storage. Hopefully it has enough to store the maps, and the SD card can be used of POI data and audio files.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Solid State Memory

"Zūmo is equipped with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, which acquires and maintains a GPS signal even in heavy foliage or “urban canyons” created by city skyscrapers. The navigator also features solid state memory, which mitigates the effects of vibration, shock, cold, heat – and displays and redraws maps faster."

Solid state memory - To me this indicates that it is not a small disk drive like the one in the 2620. Which is a good thing. I quess we will see if the "solid state memory" is removable like an SD card or ComplactFlash card. Garmin's information on this unit does state the users can swap route and waypoints on a SD card with other users. And it does come with a DVD of MapSource.

I'll have to decide whether I should get one when they are released for consumer purchase in October 2006, at approx $1,000.00 or wait for the price to drop.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mudbug said:
"Zūmo is equipped with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, which acquires and maintains a GPS signal even in heavy foliage or “urban canyons” created by city skyscrapers. The navigator also features solid state memory, which mitigates the effects of vibration, shock, cold, heat – and displays and redraws maps faster."

Solid state memory - To me this indicates that it is not a small disk drive like the one in the 2620. Which is a good thing. I quess we will see if the "solid state memory" is removable like an SD card or ComplactFlash card. Garmin's information on this unit does state the users can swap route and waypoints on a SD card with other users. And it does come with a DVD of MapSource.

I'll have to decide whether I should get one when they are released for consumer purchase in October 2006, at approx $1,000.00 or wait for the price to drop.
Me,....I'd wait.
1. The cost of consumer electronics always drops in time.
2. Never pay retail for anything when less than retail is almost always available for those willing to shop around a bit.
JMHO

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, it definitely does have an SD slot.

Looking at this again, I see it says "Preloaded City Navigator® NT North America or Europe (full coverage)".

That sure makes it sound like the map data is all stored in non-voliatile RAM and you'll be able to use the full SD space for POI data and music.

The Zumo looks basically to be a motorcycle-friendly version of the StreetPilot c550, which makes sense looking at the common "550" name.

·
Registered
214 Posts
mattlamotte said:
According to Garmin, the zumo won't be out until the 4th Quarter, just in time for the holidays.
Hummm?...
Well then, Guess we'll just have to wait. In the mean time, what's the latest opinions on the 2820? Is it true that it has internal flash memory but no removable memory cards?
How does it compare to the 2610?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I believe the 2820 has no battery and the Zumo has a 3-4 hour battery life. That will make the portability in/out of of the motel a bit awkward. Zumo appears to be engineered specifically as a "motorcyle" GPS, i.e., large buttons on left side like the Nav. II and III. Understand from Stugis trials, the screen in day light is fantastic. Just a thought.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
My 2720 has the entire NA mapset preloaded. The compartment door for the CF card is no longer there, it's been sealed shut. I'd guess that they just installed a 2 GB CF card for the memory and then sealed the door shut. I can't compare the 2820 to the 2610, but I do know that I prefer my old 2610 over my current 2720.

I definitely could see a Zumo in my future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts