BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent a couple of back to back long weekends with the Zumo 660. A short trip to Red River, NM and around that area, followed by a trip to Rapid City this weekend. It is installed on a K1300GT.

Read my full review.

There are a number of improvements to the 660, with Garmin fixing almost every complaint lodged against the 550. The display is big and bright, with more detail, broader choices of data readout and improved data input as compared to the Zumo 550.

The new mount is easier to use and the single cable brings all of the audio and USB connections to a location that can be out of direct weather impact.

The mount also comes with a removable weathertight cover for the electrical contacts.

To me, the function and usefulness of this GPS makes it one of the best upgrades Garmin has ever offered.

I posted a full review on my website.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
...yet no XM Radio, XM Weather, and far fewer routes. MSN Traffic is "Big City" only and who wants to ride their bike there all day? I prefer out of town, mountains, and canyons and MSN doesn't cut it.

No "MOST" detail either (why they left that out is beyond me). Other Nuvi's have 5 layers of detail, the 660 only three. No lock - not even a security screw! So I'd have to buy some $500 Tour-Tech mount to make it lockable.

Staying with the 550 for now, since tossing out the XM antenna stuff would be a $300 cost loss as well. I thought I'd want it but it doesn't float my boat (other than being flat which is nice) and I splurged for the Lifetime nuMaps instead.

Maybe they will do something with a Zumo 680 (?) model to make the conversion more palatable.

Mack

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GMack said:
...yet no XM Radio, XM Weather, and far fewer routes. MSN Traffic is "Big City" only and who wants to ride their bike there all day? I prefer out of town, mountains, and canyons and MSN doesn't cut it.

No "MOST" detail either (why they left that out is beyond me). Other Nuvi's have 5 layers of detail, the 660 only three. No lock - not even a security screw! So I'd have to buy some $500 Tour-Tech mount to make it lockable.

Staying with the 550 for now, since tossing out the XM antenna stuff would be a $300 cost loss as well. I thought I'd want it but it doesn't float my boat (other than being flat which is nice) and I splurged for the Lifetime nuMaps instead.

Maybe they will do something with a Zumo 680 (?) model to make the conversion more palatable.

Mack
All good points, but I prefer to easily remove and lock the GPS out of sight and use a Pioneer XMP3 for XM. The XMP3 goes with me from bike to bike to car to home and costs under $200 with antenna and mount. I even use it in my pocket while on foot. It records up to 100 hours of XM and uses MicroSD memory for up to 16GB of MP3s. Additionally the volume control on the XMP3 is an actual pair of buttons that you can operate with gloves on. Garmin's XM solutions have always left me flat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Randy, wow, thanks for the great review. I just installed my 660 on the K1300GT, but have not had a chance to do any riding with it yet. Hopefully, next week. I spent some time playing with it, but picked up a number of things from your review that I did not know.

Two questions. (1) How and where did you route/store the 3 cables that branch off the power cord? I was not sure if I should bury them in the battery compartment, or leave them out in case I decided to use one or more of them.
(2) How the heck did you generate all of those great screen shots of the 660 to put into your review? <g>

Don Goldberg

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dongold said:
Randy, wow, thanks for the great review. I just installed my 660 on the K1300GT, but have not had a chance to do any riding with it yet. Hopefully, next week. I spent some time playing with it, but picked up a number of things from your review that I did not know.

Two questions. (1) How and where did you route/store the 3 cables that branch off the power cord? I was not sure if I should bury them in the battery compartment, or leave them out in case I decided to use one or more of them.
(2) How the heck did you generate all of those great screen shots of the 660 to put into your review? <g>

Don Goldberg
I routed all of the cables up behind the left fairing, where the ABS module is. That is where I tie together all of the wiring for the Autocom, lights, satellite radio, etc.

There is a "Screenshot" mode on the 660. When it is enabled there is a camera icon on the screen. When you touch the icon, it captures the current screen as a screenshot BMP file in the folder "/garmin/screenshots". I converted them to JPEG for the review.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Randy,

I've got one too. And for the all the naysayers, 1) processor is much faster on the 660 than the 550 (I had one months back), and 2) the resolution is much better, 480 x 272 pixels vs. 320 x 240 pixels, and WQVGA color vs.QVGA.

Battery life is 5 hours vs. 550 @ 4, and who needs a pay-sub to XM? With the faster processor, a 660 can handle well over 1500 mp3 songs on an 8Gb micro SD card, while a 550 will freeze or delay start-up with about 400 songs on an SD card. I have FM traffic for mine on the bike, and MSN traffic, stocks, news, local events, movie times, gas stations, and more in car mount

Here is my start up:

My "cockpit" with it.

Rear view of it on ZTechnik clutch mount

A click releases it from the firm hold of the cradle, and nice carry case comes with, as does a cover plate for the cradle's pins.

·
Registered
49 Posts
randy said:
The new mount is easier to use and the single cable brings all of the audio and USB connections to a location that can be out of direct weather impact.

The mount also comes with a removable weathertight cover for the electrical contacts.
What did you use to connect the supplied mount to your bike? From the photos, the install looks really clean.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
AZ-J said:
That looks like that used the U bracket RAM mount included in the box.
I think not. Based on the GPS position, I am guessing that they are using the BMW GPS mount, part number 71 60 7 676 868, or 71607676868. It is a black plastic mount that replaces the flat plate at the base of the handlebars. The U-bracket mount won't fit a GT - the handlebars aren't round.

See these threads:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10287
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=8772 (especially the drawing in post #16)

·
Registered
66 Posts
From his link to his complete write up "On my GT I used the BMW mount, attaching the Zumo base with the four included screws. "

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just in case, use webupdater on the 660! Version 2.80 has been replaced with 3.10 and fixes routing interpolation issues, BT ones (add a lot of new phones) and who knows what else!

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if an XM and/or Sirius control feature was added a la BMW Zumo in 03/2009, when that was released 11 or 12/07.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I got a Zumo 660 earlier this month, after waiting for my order since March. The vendor had a huge backlog of orders. They were nice enough to send me one of only a handful that they had, following some serious begging on my part. I explained that I had been planning a special trip for nearly two years.

I used the Zumo 660 on that trip. I didn't have much time to prepare waypoints and routes. See http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=143449

Here are a few comments and notes:

* Update the firmware right away. There is a serious bug in the firmware, and you should fix it before using the 660. This comes directly from Garmin customer support.

* Update the map right away. You will get a 60-day window to update the map for free, but until you do, the Zumo will not display city names on the highway. Going up and down the full length of Interstate 5, all I saw was a straight line, with an occasional major highway intersection. There were no city and town names. After the update, I can now see city and town names, depending on the scale of the view.

The map download is nearly 3 Gbytes. You must have a high-speed Internet connection (not dialup!) and sufficient free space on your computer hard drive. My first download failed, but my second try worked. It ran overnight. It took a while to load on the Zumo, too.

The Zumo 660 comes with the 2009 North America map, which is dated August 2008. They just released a "2010" map, which is the one I downloaded.

* The screen is very good, but can still wash out if sun is angled behind you. (No product can work well in that situation.) I coped with it on my long ride, but I want to adjust the angle on the mount to make it better for next time. I don't know if the fixed-angle BMW mount is positioned well or not.

* The screen is a fingerprint magnet, and the fingerprints leave annoying smudges. Even my gloves left them. They are easy to remove. Bring a soft, clean, non-scratching cloth, such as an eyeglass cleaner or microfiber, so you can wipe away the fingerprints. I want to get a screen protector (e.g., Zagg) but didn't have time to order one before my trip.

Smudge "interference" varied greatly, depending on ambient lighting. In daylight, I could see the smudges, but they didn't bother me except when bright sunlight came from behind. In lower light levels and at night, it was not an issue at all.

I found that I could minimize the annoying smudges by rolling my fingers over the edges or corners of the screen to press the "buttons". Most buttons extend from one side to the other, or are placed the corners. A few buttons (including the crucial Where To? and View Map buttons) are placed in the center of the screen, and can't be avoided.

* Watch out when you go to mount the Zumo 660 motorcycle adapter. It has a bulge at the bottom where the wires come in. The bulge sticks out about 1/2 cm on the lower back side of the adapter.

The Zumo 660 motorcycle adapter looks like this from the side:

|
|
|
|
]]]] (Bulge. The wire comes in here.)

<-- 660 attaches on the left. Zumo adapter screws to your mount-plate on the right-->

Your mount plate screw holes must be placed near the bottom of the mount plate, so that the bottom edge of the mount plate isn't blocked by the bulge in the 660 adapter. You may have to drill additional screw holes in your mount plate.

In contrast, the Zumo 550 adapter is flat, with no bulge. Most dealers don't know about the 660 adapter yet.

I bought the Z-Technik mount that attaches to the two adjuster bolts at the base of the handlebars. The mounting plate had two sets of holes. One pair overlapped. I'm guessing that the second set was a late addition for the Zumo 660. It wasn't a perfect alignment, but it was good enough. If you have Suburban Machinery bar backs, you will need a pair of M8 x 50 mm bolts. The bolt heads matter, because they will have to fit through the extender sleeves on the Z-Technik mount. You might want to call Z-Technik when you order, so you don't have to find them locally. I bought some bolts from a local fastener supplier (very lucky to find them!) but the Z-Technik sleeves were a very tight fit onto the non-threaded part of their bolt heads. I bought some M8x45mm bolts too, and their heads wouldn't fit the sleeves. Fortunately, the 50mm bolts were not too long.

'Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Here are some photos, showing the "bulge" at the bottom of the Garmin-provided adapter for the Zumo 660, which may cause problems with some mounts, as discussed above. At the very least, you may have to re-drill the screw holes closer to the bottom of your mounting plate.

I am also including a photo of the inside gasket on the cover, which protects the contacts from the weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
I got a Zumo 660 earlier this month, after waiting for my order since March. The vendor had a huge backlog of orders. [...]
Er, March to July? Isn't that like, uh, y'know, a really long time to wait? Are 660's that scarce? I'm trying to decide on a replacement for a 2610. A four month wait is a deal breaker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
RBEmerson said:
Er, March to July? Isn't that like, uh, y'know, a really long time to wait? Are 660's that scarce? I'm trying to decide on a replacement for a 2610. A four month wait is a deal breaker.
Do a Google web serach of Garmin 660! They seem plentiful, now. I still love my over a year old one!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
RBEmerson said:
They are plentiful now, but the post was made in 2009. Garmin originally announced an April 2009 availability. I pre-ordered in March 2009. Garmin was late in delivery, demand was high, and initial deliveries were low. Deliveries went first to retailers who were taking orders at full suggested retail price, and I had ordered mine at a significant discount. As the date for my border-to-border ride approached, I called the vendor, explained my situation, and they freed one of their handful of 660s for me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also upgraded from the 550 to the 660 and wish I had waited for the 665 which has XM Radio/Traffic/Weather with a subscription. The weather option is very nice on the 665 and included radar coverage.

There is a forum discussing the Zumo product line at www.zumoforums.com which has been a great aid in setting up and using the device.

I mounted mine on my K13GT using the BMW Mount along with the supplied cradle from Garmin. Routed the cables directly to the battery compartment as I do nearly everything via BT to a Nolan N-103 helmet.

·
Registered
518 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
They are plentiful now, but the post was made in 2009. [...]
2009... 2009... 2009... DOH!!!! Point made. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I'm considering upgrading from a Zumo 550 to a 660. My biggest hesitation is the fear of missing the four tactile buttons on the left side of the 550 which allow me to jump around easily without taking my eyes off the road.

For those who have made the switch from the 550 to the 660 do you miss those four buttons? Is it worth the trade off for the improvements the 660 offers?

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts