BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used an MV Motorrad ram-mount ball that screws into the threaded hole at the center of the handlebars. http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,27939,e,1159342526-28122,001.1119463251,10176,,Tshowrub--001.1119463251,.htm The BMW badge comes off without tools — just push down on one side and pry up the other side with your bare fingers. The MV ball screws right in, and looks factory fresh.

The Zumo included a ram-ball that screwed into the back of the cradle, and a short RAM arm that connects the cradle with the handlebar mount. It is a little bulky — the Zumo itself is thicker than I expected, the cradle is equally thick, and then the arm — but it looks great from the rider's view, which in the end is what matters most. And it is solid — there's a new security screw that ensures that the Zumo won't zoom off your bike.

Of course, the downside of any ram-mount configuration is that anyone can simply turn the wingnut knob and walk off with your GPS and cradle. I'm looking into a knob with a lock that replaces the wingnut — here's a link: http://www.whitehorsepress.com/popup_image.php?pID=5542

I'd like a cleaner mount at some point — perhaps scrapping the RAM mount entirely and screwing a threaded techmount in the center of the handlebars. But considering the girth of the GPS and cradle, it might not make much difference.

I've been through several GPSes already trying to find one I like — the Nav III, the Nuvi 360 and now the Zumo. The Nav III was mounted too low and was too clunky for my taste. The Nuvi was sleek as can be, but lacked too many features: no Bluetooth for voice prompts; its screen wasn't excessively bright; limited to one via point. The Zumo seems like a good compromise — full-featured, portable, waterproof, Bluetooth voice prompts, bright screen . . .

I purchased the Zumo from getfeetwet.com. The price was right, and they allow you to trade up anytime within a year in exchange for a 15 percent restocking fee. Pretty good deal for someone as flaky as I am. ;)

Questions? Fire away.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can confirm that my Zumo allows multiple via points. I can choose an end point and add as many vias as I'd like. I can set the order of those via points myself, or have the Zumo determine the most efficient sequence.

Another nice feature: the ability to save your bread-crumb trail as a route.

·
Registered
68 Posts
how is the display?
to what other garmin units can you compare it?

i'm considering one as well

thanks in advance

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ClearwaterBMW said:
i'm considering one as well
Why am I not surprised? ;)

The screen is very bright — as bright as any I've seen. Certainly brighter than the Nuvi 360, comparable to the Nuvi 660. And it works great with thick gloves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
diggitydogg said:
Why am I not surprised? ;)

The screen is very bright — as bright as any I've seen. Certainly brighter than the Nuvi 360, comparable to the Nuvi 660. And it works great with thick gloves.
sounds great to me
i appreciate your comments

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'm going to put THIS one on my Brutale.....
because of its size

·
Registered
156 Posts
Diggitydogg, have you had a chance to try out the XM bluetooth feature yet? I am leaning towards the Zumo as well if I can listen to XM via wireless connection. Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
748 said:
Diggitydogg, have you had a chance to try out the XM bluetooth feature yet? I am leaning towards the Zumo as well if I can listen to XM via wireless connection. Thanks!
Nope, sorry. No plans for XM on this bike . . .

·
Registered
68 Posts
listening to XM through the BT connection will

1. have poor fidelity
2. run down the batteries in the helmet in NO TIME at all

unless you have the autocom system and have the BT module

·
Registered
236 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
listening to XM through the BT connection will

1. have poor fidelity
2. run down the batteries in the helmet in NO TIME at all

unless you have the autocom system and have the BT module
Not true, grasshopper!!! Run my BT on the 2820 via the Cardo Scala Rider. Last a good 6-8 hours, sound is good enough considering I'm wearing ear plugs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BeemerDude said:
Not true, grasshopper!!! Run my BT on the 2820 via the Cardo Scala Rider. Last a good 6-8 hours, sound is good enough considering I'm wearing ear plugs.
thank you, obi wan
i stand corrected

thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Found a great forum on the ZUMO that provides solid user reports..check it out

Zumo 550 Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
ZUMO 550 and Bluetooth

I have the 550 and love it. Easy to use, screen is OK in sunlight, just don't expect too much with direct sunlight. Software and everythings works OK. I'm using the J&M Integrtr VI, a portable unit, that integrates the MP3, phone, intercome, radio, Zumo and everything eles. Just got the wire to allow me to use the BT phone, I'll let you all know next week if it actually works. However, a couple of things about BT that don't work. I understand that the ZUMO, even though it does have an OK MP3 player built in does not do stero wireless BT. It seems the "dongle", whatever that is, is mono. At least that's what the folks at J&M say so the new BT helmets may not provide all the features you think they do.

BTW, if you're looking for a portable communication/intercom/FRS Radio... system take a look at the J&M Integratr IV, its actually very cool and works reasonably well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The easiest/cleanest solution I have found was using the Zumo as the communications center point. Link your cell phone to the Zumo and then link your helmet to the Zumo as a headset. I am using the Nolan N-COM helmet and haven't experienced any issues. The sound quality is fine, not great, and it is mono.
In this configuration I can hear the prompts from the GPS, play MP3s and use my cell phone all through the GPS. The helmet has an auxillary input jack which enables me to plug my iPod in and have more fidelity and AM/FM radio as well. From what I have experienced the Nolan will go at least 8 hours before draining the battery.
From what I have been told, if your passenger has the same helmet configuration you can set it up for intercom and they can listen to whatever you have playing as well.
I have yet to figure a way to connect an FRS to this configuration, but haven't had the need for that as of yet.
I thought I read somewhere that the XM Radio wouldn't come through the BT connection? Does anyone have more information on that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks diggitydog

Thanks for the link to the mount on the mv-motorrad site. was exactly what I was looking for. Very expensive for what it is but worth it.
On a side note for anyone looking for an easy to remove the BMW roundel to insert the mount, I used the sucker cup for the car mount that came with the Zumo to lift it right out without scratching anything or dropping the badge.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
edselg said:
Do u ever have a problem with it working itself loose from the ball while riding?
No but I put some rubber tape around the ball as the ball mount has some grooves cut into the circumference and it tends to cut into the paint on the mounting arm.

Doesn't shake loose on my ram ball on my GS either even banging over some rougher roads (not tried fully off road with it yet)

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
diggitydogg said:
I used an MV Motorrad ram-mount ball that screws into the threaded hole at the center of the handlebars. http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,27939,e,1159342526-28122,001.1119463251,10176,,Tshowrub--001.1119463251,.htm The BMW badge comes off without tools — just push down on one side and pry up the other side with your bare fingers. The MV ball screws right in, and looks factory fresh.

The Zumo included a ram-ball that screwed into the back of the cradle, and a short RAM arm that connects the cradle with the handlebar mount. It is a little bulky — the Zumo itself is thicker than I expected, the cradle is equally thick, and then the arm — but it looks great from the rider's view, which in the end is what matters most. And it is solid — there's a new security screw that ensures that the Zumo won't zoom off your bike.

Of course, the downside of any ram-mount configuration is that anyone can simply turn the wingnut knob and walk off with your GPS and cradle. I'm looking into a knob with a lock that replaces the wingnut — here's a link: http://www.whitehorsepress.com/popup_image.php?pID=5542

I'd like a cleaner mount at some point — perhaps scrapping the RAM mount entirely and screwing a threaded techmount in the center of the handlebars. But considering the girth of the GPS and cradle, it might not make much difference.

I've been through several GPSes already trying to find one I like — the Nav III, the Nuvi 360 and now the Zumo. The Nav III was mounted too low and was too clunky for my taste. The Nuvi was sleek as can be, but lacked too many features: no Bluetooth for voice prompts; its screen wasn't excessively bright; limited to one via point. The Zumo seems like a good compromise — full-featured, portable, waterproof, Bluetooth voice prompts, bright screen . . .

I purchased the Zumo from getfeetwet.com. The price was right, and they allow you to trade up anytime within a year in exchange for a 15 percent restocking fee. Pretty good deal for someone as flaky as I am. ;)

Questions? Fire away.
Can you tell me where I can order this MV mounting hardware. Your setup seems so straightforwad that I would like to try it on my K1200S as well.

Many thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
285 Posts
So has anyone gone with the MV or another mount with a quick release power cable - to take the whole zumo moto mount off the bike? If so what type of QR - can ya uses a SAE connection?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts