BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a gas tank for my 2008 K1200GT. I need the actual tank, not the fairing that goes over it. I have stripped out two of the six bolts that secure the ring around the gas cap. As I understand, the bolts screw down into the tank. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don't really need all the bolts for the ring to be secure. Just clean the stripped bolts, put some yellow plumbing thread sealant on the threads, screw all the way in.... just finger snug. The plumbing thread sealant sets up, and will keep the bolt from bouncing out

Rector Seal #5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't really need all the bolts for the ring to be secure. Just clean the stripped bolts, put some yellow plumbing thread sealant on the threads, screw all the way in.... just finger snug. The plumbing thread sealant sets up, and will keep the bolt from bouncing out

Rector Seal #5
Yes, I agree, but these two bolts are currently sticking up about a half inch and can't be backed out any further or tightened down to their original position. They were securing a tank ring from SW Motech so when the ring was on my bike they were tightened down to that ring. I had to take the ring off with a Dremel tool.

The other issue is that I'd like another tank bag. A new tank bag will use those same bolts. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
Another success story, see what all these people can do together.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts