BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see from my Repair and Maintenance CD that I have to remove the gas tank to replace the air filter. The tank is 1/3 to 1/2 full. Is my buddy correct in telling me that when I disconnect the tubes for fuel, that they will only let a small amount out??. Like some sort of mechanism that stops the fuel from going thru?. Or, do I have to drain the dumb tank somehow?. Plus, should I light a cigarette while doing this??. K-N filter worth the extra $$
or stick with stock?. Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Filter

The BMW shop doesn't drain the tank when they remove the filter so you shouldn't have to. I would try to leave all intact in respect to the lines and disengage the tank enough to swap filter.

·
Registered
528 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
I see from my Repair and Maintenance CD that I have to remove the gas tank to replace the air filter. The tank is 1/3 to 1/2 full. Is my buddy correct in telling me that when I disconnect the tubes for fuel, that they will only let a small amount out??. Like some sort of mechanism that stops the fuel from going thru?. Or, do I have to drain the dumb tank somehow?. Plus, should I light a cigarette while doing this??. K-N filter worth the extra $$
You probably have a quick disconnect that will let you take the tank off with minimal leakage. They also will probably fail on you at a later time. If all you are doing is the air filter then you should, as mentioned, be able to slide the filter out and in with out disconnecting.
I use stock parts most of the time.
Light a joint instead.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
I'll tell you what I did on mine. First, I siphoned out most of the gas. Then I removed the two rear bolts(be careful to put back the thin rubber washers that are between the frame and tank bolts) and just slid back, lifted and slid the tank to the right. The tank just sits there and I removed the four filter cover screws and changed the filter. It's simple.
Use stock parts. Also you should vacuum out( DO NOT BLOW OUT) the air box at the filter cavity. The smoking lamp is lit, only once.
Now everyone will say I was lucky the tank didn't slide off to the right. And I will answer "yes".
Your buddy is correct. The tank has quick disconnects. Only the vent hoses can be loused up.
Bruce C

·
Registered
362 Posts
brucecha said:
The tank has quick disconnects. Only the vent hoses can be loused up.
Jeff
If you take the tank off, you can mark the two vent lines to keep them straight. I put a red paint spot on one line and white on the other, then I marked the metal tubes that the hoses slide onto.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.......

Pete_Tallahassee said:
Light a joint instead.
Thanks, I would, but I've got a pee-pee test coming up, all because of your asshole friends in Washington that dictate what, and what not I can do on my time. If I'm driving stoned, put me in jail and throw the key away. If I'm relaxing by the lake with a beer, leave me the f--- alone. Nuff said??. (got any??).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Disconnects

If you do release the quick disconnects you should lube the o-rings in them and treat them gently. There has been some chit chat on the forum about failures from handling like this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
dont worry about what is in the tank. disconnect the quick releases and pull the vent lines out and lift the tank off the frame. Maybe a drop or two will come out of the QR's. if you look at the vent lines, you will see how they are shaped and that will tell you which one goes back where.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pete_Tallahassee said:
Light a joint instead.
Pete, This HAS to be the MOST stupid and irresponsible remark I have ever seen on the internet!! :mad: You want this guy to have a lighted joint around a leaking gas tank? :wtf

Always!!!! Use a bong, so you have water near by in case of a fire.

SAFETY FIRST! :ricky

·
Registered
796 Posts
Couple tips, my 98 does not have the quick connect fittings,yet. But a number 2 phillips screwdriver works well to plug the line. Also the right way to siphon gas is not to suck, but to blow. Place hose in tank, stuff a rag around hose as air tight as possible, then blow air into the tank, pressurizing it so when you stop blowing the air in the tank pushes the gas out of the hose. If done right none gets in your mouth. Or buy one of those super duper siphon hoses that do the work for ya. Also brownies or cookies are safer than a bong, tho having a beer handy to put out and fire is still a good move.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As for the disconnects, it's recommended you lube the O rings, and be very careful in aligning them when you reconnect. The O ring can be damaged or the plastic tube can crack. It's a good idea to keep a supply of replacement O rings on hand.
I'm ordering one of these: http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/hardware.html to use on a fuel cell project. I'll look at it in regard to replacing the BMW plastic uunits that are prone to failure.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally........

cruizbz said:
Pete, This HAS to be the MOST stupid and irresponsible remark I have ever seen on the internet!! :mad: You want this guy to have a lighted joint around a leaking gas tank? :wtf

Finally, two guys who can get into my sick sense of humor. I bet most who read my original post thought I was serious about the cigarette.

·
Registered
528 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
Thanks, I would, but I've got a pee-pee test coming up, all because of your asshole friends in Washington that dictate what, and what not I can do on my time. If I'm driving stoned, put me in jail and throw the key away. If I'm relaxing by the lake with a beer, leave me the f--- alone. Nuff said??. (got any??).
I don't think those are my friends in Washington...And take the Firemans adivce, he's a professional!

·
Registered
589 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
Finally, two guys who can get into my sick sense of humor. I bet most who read my original post thought I was serious about the cigarette.
Nah, some of us were just hoping.......;-))

·
Registered
300 Posts
cruizbz said:

Safety 1st as I always say and that is why I would recommend firing up a fatboy before you start the job. It may take a little longer to get the job done but you will not get frustrated so fast.
Later == Bobby

·
Registered
295 Posts
Uh guys,
You don't need to remove the tank to get to the air filter. You do need to remove both side panels, remove the two bolts at the back of the tank, then lift the tank and carefully move it up and to the right. You can get enough clearance to access the air filter and just leave the tank "sitting" on top of all the items under it. When done, just pick the tank up and move it back into position and bolt her back up. No need to remove fuel lines and the like. If you do remove the quick disconnects, yes they do allow a little fuel to leak out.

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts