BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas?? What I let out after eating onions. Or what I buy on my rare visits to the US. But for ^&*^% sake can some one tell my why my blue 2003 K takes different petrol to the 97 taxi. The blue one runs best on min 85 max 95 octane, the taxi needed 98 octane. Compression ratio is the same???

signed

anxious rider

·
Registered
219 Posts
Octane

Either the 03 is carboned up, the timing has more advance, or the cams are different with less overlap (this bleeds off pressure at low rpms). Are you talking about pinging at low rpm's or just poor running in general?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gas

I am talking about the taxi having a sticker on the tank advising that high octane was required (premium) and also that the taxi pinged without it and did not travel as far on a tank.

But there is no such sticker on the 2003 model, the book advising that a lower octan e rating is okay. I had been using the high octane in the new bike without doing any research. What makes me think about all this is,...

did an economy run on the 2003 and it travelled further on lower ocatane than it did on high octane. That is when I started checking my user manual.

Both bikes are in perfect tune, the taxi has been sold.

·
Go Dawgs!
20 Posts
Followed the advice in my manual and used nothing but premium grade gas (93 octane US/GA) for the first 18 months on my 03 GT. But a couple of months ago, after reviewing a lot of old posts on the old site, I dropped down a grade (89 octance). Seemed to run okay...no knocking or pinging unless I really was in the wrong range.

HOWEVER, overall performance seemed to slow and gas mileage started to dropped. So after about 1500 miles on the lower grade, I threw in a tank of premium at my baby was BACK to monster status. It was night and day. Obviously, I had gotten used to the slight hesitation and slow pick up with the bad stuff.

Hate to pay the higher price, but it's nothing but the good stuff after this.

-jd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts