BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a gasoline leak a while back (cracked fuel line disconnect) and the gas badly discolored my crankcase. I posted a thread for ideas on how to remove the discoloration, and got a lot of suggestion, but unfortunately nothing helped. So now I want to see if I can refinish the crankcase cover instead of spending $200 on a new one. Does anyone know if the cover (which is magnesium) is painted or powder coated from the factory? Anyone had any experience repainting or powder coating an engine case? Any help greatly appreciated.

Jim Davis
Athens, GA

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
My stain eventually came out with wire wool, cellulose thinner and cutting polish - I had nothing to lose. My impression was that the covers used the same silver paint and clear lacquer as on other parts and that it was the lacquer which stained.

A member here recently said the silver paint used for the wheels on BMW cages, was a good match. I'd buy a tin just to see, then consider getting a pro paint and lacquer coat job done with the same paint code. There may be better lacquers now which are more gas friendly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
589 Posts
voxmagna said:
My stain eventually came out with wire wool, cellulose thinner and cutting polish - I had nothing to lose. My impression was that the covers used the same silver paint and clear lacquer as on other parts and that it was the lacquer which stained.

A member here recently said the silver paint used for the wheels on BMW cages, was a good match. I'd buy a tin just to see, then consider getting a pro paint and lacquer coat job done with the same paint code. There may be better lacquers now which are more gas friendly.
You can by it in a spray can from Wurth, they have 2 BMW silvers, you will want the newer one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gas Stained Cases

Jim, I don't know what year your bike is or the mileage but it sounds like a warranty issue to me. Quick disconnect gremlins are well know to BMW. Worth a try if it's still covered.

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you tried a 50/50 mix of water and Greased Lightning? I just cleaned a decades worth of diesel overspill on my tractor, cleaned up nicely and didnt fade the paint. You might spot test it to be sure, greased lightning will dull aluminum. Soylent green (or whatever that "green" cleaner is called) works ok. but GL is the shizzit.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Pastor Passum said:
Quick disconnect gremlins are well know to BMW. Worth a try if it's still covered.
This thread has inspired me to look at the replacing my connectors with durable metal ones. There was a previous posting in the archives dating back to summer of '05 that discussed this in excessive detail.

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/s...K1200RS&Number=117973&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Here is the Omega part number information:

Male Straight w/ shutoff: FT-LCD220-06, $11.83
Female Straight w/ shutoff: FT-LCD170-06, $19.21

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
After replacing my quick disconnect because of a massive fuel leak, my case was also stained. My dealer(A&S) repainted it at the next inspection as it was still under warranty. I can'y tell the difference after it was painted. Great job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts