BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip I had to ride through a long period of rain. About 2 hours in the gear indicator went wonky - showing wrong gear, staying at 0, only working for gears 3-6, etc. Now it picks up at 3 and shows through 6. Not sure if the rain was part of issue - did something get wet? Anyway, anyone have any thoughts or experience on what it takes to work on/fix the gear indicator? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Well...…..yes I had some experience with that.I sure wasn't looking forward at pulling it out of there at the transmission, the clip would be very hard to remove/install in such a confined space.If the neutral green light doesn't come on from a wonky sender bike won't start unless you pull the clutch.And if it thinks it is in gear, won't start on sidestand even in neutral.

Mind you......connector is easily accessible under the left subframe rail. Pull apart....inspect and clean.10 minutes repair?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get the neutral light to light up so it will start. I'll pull off and inspect. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The neutral light is a switch in the gearbox.
The gear indicator is a resistor on the outside of the gearbox.
Water will stop the gear indicator from working. It should come good when it dries out. If it doesn't then it is dead.
I would put it in the sun for a couple of days (the whole bike, not just the switch).
If it comes good, then spray it with some sort of water shield (Boeshield, tectyl or similar). Mask everything else so that you don't make a mess.
The leak point is where the wires go into the sensor.
hth

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
There isn't a switch in the gearbox to control the neutral light on a K1200RS.All controlled by the gear indicator switch.Gear indicator switch is mounted at the rear of the shifter drum and reads said drum position be it neutral or speed and sends a signal via the wires to a multi pin connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts