BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgot my manual at home and need to pick up some synthetic gear oil on my way home. What weight is needed and how much for both tranny and rear axle? TIA.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Manual states SAE 90 hypoid gear oil, API Class GL 5.
Transmission capacity: 800 cc - 950 cc
Final Drive capacity: 230 cc

I used BMW Gear Oil 75w140 Super Synthetic and one quart was enough for both when I changed mine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Rick.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am not sure where Rick took his value, but my service CD (original BMW) for the K1200RS (up to 2004 models), says that the gearbox capacity is:

Initial filling about 0.6 litre (600 cc) -or- 1.0 Imp. pint

I just did mine last week and based on the graduation on the container, I was able to put 550 cc. About right based on the fact that a tiny bit of old oil might remain inside.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm with Sailor on this one, trans.: 600cc(bottom of threads), rear drive 230cc(bottom of threads). I use Mobil 1 75/90 wht.
Bruce C

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
sailor said:
I am not sure where Rick took his value...
Straight out of the BMW Repair Manual, interesting that we have different values. My CD is an earlier version but I don't see why that info would be different. Wacky Germans. :confused:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
rickd said:
Straight out of the BMW Repair Manual, interesting that we have different values. My CD is an earlier version but I don't see why that info would be different. Wacky Germans. :confused:
Rick
I stand corrected. In both the repair manual('98-'00 and '01-'04) in the maintenance section it does call for 800cc.+- for the initial fill (why?, initial fill is at the factory or maybe after a re-build.). In both cases it says "To the bottom of the threads". Then if you go to sec. #23 for the gearbox and it calls for a capacity of 600cc. So I guess we fill the trans. until the oil runs out and call it good. Who asked this question anyway?
Bruce C

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
On mine the gearbox is 8mm hexagon, and the rear transmission is a Torx 40. I buy the socket drive type, then you can use a torque wrench.

I always assumed the only reason you'd need to know oil capacity is if you put a lot less in you must have left a lot in there or you didn't read the manual and are filling the the wrong thing at the wrong hole or you just need an idea of how much oil to buy. When it's full to the threads, it's full.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
cardano4ever said:
What is the size (mm) of the exagonal for discharge gear oil of ok K1200RS ? I see "a big size"...
Thanks.
The trans. drain plug is 14mm. hex. Tighten to 55Nm. (no misprint).
Bruce C

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bruce and Sailor,

Both of you mention a repair manual (or CD) for '01 - '04 (or up to '04). Can you clarify this for me? Are you making an assumptions since they are basically all the same OR does your manual/CD clearly state that it is for '04 models?

The reason I ask is that the latest version of the CD that I have seen (including a "brand new" one from Pirate just this past summer) clearly state the following on the inside of the cover (page 2 on the CD). Can you check yours?

Printed in Germany 03/01
Order number 01 79 0 137 531

I have checked at my dealer and at other authorized resellers and nobody can find anything newer. There ARE differences in the models, although they really don't affect the overall worthiness of the data.

Thanks!

Randy

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Randy,

Yes my CD says the same thing as yours (part #01 79 0 137 531) and date is 03.2001

The reasons for the earlier mentioned assumptions are:

1) The new design front-fairing and EVO brakes are clearly documented in this CD,

2) Although BMW began selling those features as 2002 models in the USA, they have
been available as late 2001 models in Europe and Canada.

3) We all know that the K1200RS model is basically the same up until the end of the
production (somewhere in 2004 - 2005, not really important).

4) Minor variations in the production that BMW (or any manufacturer) might
have done between late 2001 and 2004. For example, the parts book will show
2 part number for the CPU of the K1200GT - most of us here know this story.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Randy
Sorry for the confusion my manual is the same as yours, printed in '01. I did one thing. I had the damn thing printed out. Cost was $21.00 at a local print shop. Printed on both sides of the page and 3-hole punched. Best thing I have done for this bike so far, 'cause I ain't too computer literate.
Bruce C

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bruce and Sailor,

Thanks for the feedback! I just wanted to know if there was a newer one out.....I didn't think so, but wanted to verify.

When I was an active Administrator on the old i-bmw.com and on this site, I had received several inquiries concerning a manual that includes the GT. I have been telling people "No" and wanted to know if I was wrong!

Thanks again guys....you too Ray!

Randy

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Bingo

Sort of...there's a subsequent CD that has the information for the later models that includes the K1200GT. March, 2003, part number 01 79 0 301 737. Took two parts guys to figure it out. Something about how to look at the parts fische. This CD also includes the following
R 850/R 1150 R
R1150 R Rockster
R 1100 S
R 1150 GS Adventure
R 1150 GS
R 1150 RS
R 1150 RT
R 1200 CL

Having a bunch of R bikes listed (and the K1200GT listed last) probably causes the guys looking for the right CD to put it back, as no one in their right mind would combine the K bikes repair manual on an R bike CD.
Maybe it's compressed to help keep the copying to a minimum. Hope it doesn't use the same copy protection routine Sony/BMG used (bastids...).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
So how much gear oil goes into the tranny on my 2003 k1200gt? The local bmw dealer claimed it was 180-190mL, and that I should not empty all 207mL that come i the BMW oil I picked up for $9.××

1 - 18 of 18 Posts