BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on a recent trip to Vermont my 2002 K1200rs began to not shift properly between 2nd and 3rd gear. I pulled into a Motorsports shop in Rutland and a tech looked at my bike. He told me the gear shift linkage nut was loose where it meets the transmission. He tightened it up for me and I was on my way. The Bike was perfect, but after an hour or so I started having the same problem. It doesn't happen all the time and I never know now when I stop at a light or downshift into 2nd gear wether or not I can get it back to 3rd. usually after on or two lifts on the shifter it usually goes into gear. Once in gear the bike runs perfectly. It happens intermittently. Any suggestions ?

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
You need to get it sorted soon!

The shaft coming out the transmission casing has lots of small splined teeth on it. The bolt and nut is the pinch bolt for the arm that attaches to that shaft and it also has matching spline teeth.

If you carry on my friend, you risk grinding away the small teeth that hold the shifter arm to the tranni shifter shaft. :(

If you are lucky you will have just worn away teeth on the arm which is not too expensive. If you have ground all the splines off the gear shaft, that will cost you a lot of money to repair.

A shop may just try tightening the pinch bolt and hope for the best. But the big K is not nice to ride without shifts and is very heavy to push! If a BMW shop says you need a new shifter shaft, then hear what they say.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Don't know if the tech also checked the indexing marks between the arm and shaft. Shifter arm may have skipped a spline and then could hit the transmission case on upshifts.

Very hard to see them indexing marks altough I can see mine with an inspection mirror.

Let me think, there is a dot/mark on the shaft. Lines up with the cut in the shifter arm. One spline off works on my bike so I can have the shifter up where I want it. Two splines off will hit the case.

I also had problems on the upshift, the two sockets on the threaded adjuster have to be lined up, if not makes for hard upshifts. And they have to be lubed less they wear the parts increasing shifter play and possibly again the arm hitting the transmission case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts