BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
does the "S" have a gel battery?
i believe so, not100% sure. these batteries beside the cost have some other issue. if the battery goes below 12,4 volts the process called "solfatazione" which i do not know how this transaltes in English, maybe ....sulphatation..., starts and this process is not reversible. the other thing about these gel batteries is that the heavvily suffer the cold temperatures,
In other words, this means that in 3 months of no use either you remove it keep it under charge in a warm place in the garage or in the house or you can say adieu to it..
can you please confirm?
thanks
Eligio

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ciao Eligio,
Sulphation is correct and it IS reversible. Several companies now offer a battery charger/tender which emit a pulsed frequency designed to break up the sulpher crystals at the molecular level. Both "Battery Tender" and VDC Electronics in New Jersey, USA offer such a charger. My AGM battery is now a year old and has never failed me.
Pietro

·
Registered
434 Posts
BMWBuddha said:
CSeveral companies now offer a battery charger/tender which emit a pulsed frequency designed to break up the sulpher crystals at the molecular level.
The Optimate III has a function to revoke sulphation, too. As far as I read this charger raises the voltage up to 20 V for a short period.

Manfred

·
Registered
434 Posts
Eligio,

That's pure coincidence! :) . Last weekend my battery broke down for the second time and I got a new one. So I had the chance to read the label and the instructions in the RepROM.

Manfred

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manfred,
i went to check my battery, was low in voltage but in 2 seconds the bike started, i did 10 km in the snow then i brough the bike back in the garage, removed the battery and put it under a charger, very slow charger.
it 's still freezing out there.
Was your battery under warranty?
regards
Eligio

BTW, Pietro, no way to freeze in Fl ..correct!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
eligio said:
Was your battery under warranty?
Yes, it was. If you are charging your battery, make sure temperatures are > 5°C! There is a notice by BMW explanining that the resistance of the batttery goes up at falling temperatures which may affect proper charging of the battery.

Manfred

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
A flat lead acid battery, left for long periods in the cold can freeze and bust. You try charging it, but it's bust forever! Use a 1/2 amp tender plugged in via the accessory socket all the time, this keeps up the charge, cosy and warm, less cranking time, better battery life.

Sulphation reversal only seems a problem when you buy modern clever chargers that use electronics, microprocessors and dc regulators. The people who designed them for Nicad/NimH chemistry thought they'd be just as good for lead acid. A simple transformer, single diode, rectifier bridge and resistor gives 120 positive cycle pulses per second - always known to be good for batteries. Those chargers that offer a de-sulphation facility do so because they started with smooth d.c in the first place. Most electronic chargers under charge on the safe side to avoid gassing and this doesn't help remove sulphation.

Every time you end up with a flat battery for whatever reason, and need to re-charge it, you reduce its life.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts