BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a bit early to be talking about heated gear but if anyone is contemplating using Gerbings heated wear and is reluctant to power it through the cranky canbus/accessory socket, I just installed their harness directly to my battery and I wanted to tell you that although the wire they provide seems short (they were probably more used to an underseat battery) I figured out a perfect and elegant solution. I was so pleased I forgot to take pictures but if you're interested I could shoot some next time I take the plastic off to service my air filter. Just ask.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hooked my harness directly to the battery also, but I would be interested in seeing how you did yours.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gerbings wiring

Well, that's enough interest for me - I'll take some shots and post 'em as soon as I can.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My jacket needed 6.8 amps, 1.8 more than the outlet would supply. Over 5 amps and it shuts off. I tried to find out if the computer could be reset to allow more amps but no one knew how to do that. So, I too wired it directly to the battery as my Sirius radio is also. Works great.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the Gerbings jacket liner (77 watts), gloves (22 watts/pair), pants (44 watts), and socks (22 watts/pair), for a total of 165 watts.

The K1200S alternator is 580 watts at 42 amps, and the battery capacity is 14 amp-hours.

Does anybody know what the sustainable power drain is, assuming direct wiring to the battery? Just trying to figure out how much of my Gerbings stuff I can connect. Yes, it's hot now, just looking ahead to the winter :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gerbing power drain

You can hook it all up and have no issues as long as the bike is running. If you shut the bike off. It could drain the battery over time. But is you shut it off, you are getting off anyway right?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used the Gerbing Battery Harness: http://www.gerbing.com/acc/accprod.html#batharness

Just removed the black battery cover on top of the gas tank, unscrewed the battery terminals and put the screws back through the eyelets on the Gerbing harness. I then routed the wires around the left and right sides of the battery. The connector I left sticking out slightly at the top of the black battery cover.

There are better ways to route it, such as below the seat near the current accessory plug location. I might do that in the future, but I did a few test rides and it doesn't interfere with anything in the current location.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the info

i just ordered the armored jacket & pants/gloves/socks for my k12s too. i appreciate the feedback on the & would love to hear how others wired up the sysem.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I went straight to the battery using the Warm & Safe wiring. Routed the wires behind the upper panel and stubbed the connector out next to the lower edge of the upper panel where the torx screw fastens the panel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
mbarocas said:
can you tell or show me how you wired the harness and where you left the plugs?
As described above, I initially left the plug sticking out beneath the black battery cover, just below the handle bars. That worked OK, but after some thought I decided to re-route it near the existing BMW accessory outlet. That way it's a little closer to the Gerbing jacket/vest connector. This took a little work, but wasn't too bad. Already had both side fairings and tank covers off to re-install EVO intakes (part of troubleshooting an unrelated problem).

I removed the hex-head, aluminum "spools" at the gas tank base, and backed out the gas tank about 1 inch to give better clearance when routing. Be cautious and don't pull the tank too far back, as there are several electrical, vent and gas connectors at the front of the gas tank.

The routing path is along the tank vent line, down the left side then rearward along existing bike wiring. It helps to have good lighting (a headlamp is better). Clearence is quite tight in places, but it appears safe. I didn't modify the Gerbing harness to add length -- it was just the right length.

Make sure you don't pinch or bind any wiring. Tie-wrap in place as needed.

When removing side fairings, be advised the Torx screws are location-specific. Put them back in the same place. The left/right gas tank covers are a little finicky to get off and on. There are three tabs toward the rear. If you look closely in the crack between the tank center cover and left/right side covers you can see the slots. There's a guide pin and guide sleeve at the front. Be sure those are aligned when re-inserting.

Attached pix:
(1) Former external Gerbings plug location
(2) Former internal Gerbings battery harness routing
(3) New routing of Gerbings battery harness

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts