BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a spare key made for my 07 k1200gt. I was wondering if the original keys have an immobilizer or if I can just find a blank on ebay or elsewhere. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes, it should have an immobilizer. Go to the dealer and get the key. Give them your VIN number and it should only tgake about three days for the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, about $80. You need to show the dealer your license and registration and the addresses must match. All they need is the VIN #. It gets cut at BMW-NA in northern NJ and they mail it to you. Only takes a couple days.

Stuart

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
That was one of the things that annoyed me when i purchased my 2007 K1200GT new. It came with one metal key and one plastic key for emergencies. It is far too thick to keep in your wallet as a spare. The day I took delivery and learned about the keys, I ordered a spare metal key. I paid $50 for it in 2007.

I never regretted it. Twice I have put the key in my overpants, and then locked it in a side case. Someone had to bring me the spare both times.

I never understood why BMW would be so petty, and ruin the buying experience at the last minute when it comes time to hand the keys to the new owner. Whatever profit or savings that resulted could not have been worth it. I can't seem to forget it, and it has been over a decade since it happened. I wonder whether BMW lost future motorcycle sales as a result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts