BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Drake just to clarify that post you linked too, it only works if you have the key that fits it. correct?

how do you get the cores out if you don't have the key.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Locks

dbikers said:
so, how difficult is it to get blocks out of these latches on a type 1 saddle bag?
I have the opposite problem. I have these exact hard luggage cases and the locks will not stay in. Thoe slide out all the itme with the key. I have to ease them back in a ease the key out so they stay in place.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Locks

dbikers said:
so, how difficult is it to get blocks out of these latches on a type 1 saddle bag?
I have the opposite problem. I have these exact hard luggage cases and the locks will not stay in. The locks slide out all the time with the key. I have to ease them back in a ease the key out so they stay in place.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
243 Posts
jimmyd said:
I have the opposite problem. I have these exact hard luggage cases and the locks will not stay in. The locks slide out all the time with the key. I have to ease them back in a ease the key out so they stay in place.

Any ideas?
Mine do that also, but only when it is unlocked. I ride with them locked, so I don't accidentally drop the lock core 5 hours from home! I had assumed that it was part of the "feature" that lets you remove and swap the lock core.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Locks

Rema1000 said:
Mine do that also, but only when it is unlocked. I ride with them locked, so I don't accidentally drop the lock core 5 hours from home! I had assumed that it was part of the "feature" that lets you remove and swap the lock core.
I happened to stop at a dealar last fall to ask about this.
They said I might be missing a pin of some sort ???
I did not actually take the locks for them see so I not sure if I missing a pin of some sort or not.

If anyone knows anything about these lock cylinders let me in on the info.

I doubt they will ever fall out, but they seem to come out way too easy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
frodef said:
Swap bags with Scott_Anderson? :phonecall
I don't have any problems with my bags, was just asking the question as the OP didn't specify if he had the key or not for the locks he was asking about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Scott_Anderson said:
I don't have any problems with my bags, was just asking the question as the OP didn't specify if he had the key or not for the locks he was asking about.
Hm.. guess I meant dbikers. Or... well, never mind :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
removing cylinder without having the key

The first pic shows the lock from the underside, looking into a mirror,I used a narrow
plexiglass mirror cut to fit in the latch area. The tab at the black arrow needs to be pushed to the right,toward the lock cylinder. I did it with a 90 deg. dental pick. while the tab is held in, pry the cylinder out at the red arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
the cylinder

This is the cylinder with the original key in it. The tab that is sticking up is the retaining
tab that you depress to get it out of the latch.
Before you do any filing, tape this tab down so you don't accidentaly mess it up.
The picture with the tape on is the cylinder with the ignition key { the new key} . File any of the tabs that are sticking up down flush with the cylinder.
The last picture. With a small screwdriver push up , from the otherside, any of the tabs that you filed. File off the burs on the edges of the tabs. Lubricate and install. There are 4 grooves in the cylinder housing, the retaining tab should go into the wider groove, when it is in all the way rotate the cylinder counter clockwise 180 deg. Now the retaining tab will hold the cylinder in. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
cylinders that come out

Rema 1000 and Jimmyd , when your cylinders come out do they have the retaining tab
sticking up? If they don't I suspect someone filed it down while trying to rekey the locks.
If they do stick up, they should stay in the housing. Put them in and rotate counterclockwise till they stop rotating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Locks

mohler said:
This is the cylinder with the original key in it. The tab that is sticking up is the retaining
tab that you depress to get it out of the latch.
Before you do any filing, tape this tab down so you don't accidentaly mess it up.
The picture with the tape on is the cylinder with the ignition key { the new key} . File any of the tabs that are sticking up down flush with the cylinder.
The last picture. With a small screwdriver push up , from the otherside, any of the tabs that you filed. File off the burs on the edges of the tabs. Lubricate and install. There are 4 grooves in the cylinder housing, the retaining tab should go into the wider groove, when it is in all the way rotate the cylinder counter clockwise 180 deg. Now the retaining tab will hold the cylinder in. Good luck.[/QUO

Ok
Think I understand now.
Looks like there are slots for 6 tabs. The tab furthest from the key hole would be the locking tab.
On the two lock cylinders that I am holding in my hand, those 6th tabs do not exist.
Looks like they probably were filed down or removed and are indeed missing.
Any ideas on where to get a new set of lock cylinders?

·
Registered
15 Posts
locks

I'm not sure where to get complete cylinders, but you may be able to get the tab at a locksmith. If you look at this picture the round hole that contains the spring is dented over. Use a small tool to bend the crimp back to get it out.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts