BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've seen the thread on the turbulence some folks are getting after installing the Givi V46 top case. Anyone with experience with the Givi E350 of E450 top cases on a GT?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the V46 on an 03 K1200RS and have not experienced the instability being reported. A top case will definitely change the airflow over the bike, so not sure other Givi models would be much different. Note: I only use the Givi when riding two up on longer trips, so maybe there are issues when riding solo.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also have the V46 on my 2003 K1200GT. I use it when riding double with my wife and haven't noticed any instability up to about 85 MPH indicated, at which point I usually get the knees in the sides. I've used it with the Dunlop Sportmaxes as well as the Michelin Pilot Roads.

Rusty

·
Registered
71 Posts
V46 Instability

After some experimentation, I discovered that the instability on my GT w/ the V46 only was noticeable when riding solo. Two up, the problem seemed to all but go away.

I fabricated a bracket out of 1/8 aluminum plate to rigidly couple the Givi mounting plate to the stock GT grab bar (I double checked that the Givi plate mounting bolts were tight - they were). After putting on the homemade reinforcement to the Givi plate, the wobbles went away immediately, even w/ a heavy load in the V46. This result tends to confirm the following:

(1) The instabilities are definitely aerodynamic

(2) They are much worse when the top case is hanging out all alone in the turbulence (i.e. no passenger to be a wind break). The heavier the load and the more turbulent the air, the worse things get.

(3) The stock Givi mounting scheme can allow the case to resonate/vibrate in rough air at a frequency that couples directly into the bike. Stiffening up the mounting can address this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts