BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the ripe old age of 342 miles she laid down on her left side for the first time. Out for a ride, I found what might be the biggest parking lot on earth...at Lucent in Holmdel, NJ. It has inner and outer loops, and the most beautiful curves connecting them you've ever seen. I was working through preload settings to see if I could feel a difference and I pulled over to make another change.

What I guess happened was that I snicked into neutral, stopped the bike, and swung the sidestand down. Then I would have put my left foot down, swung my leg over, and squatted right in perfect position to adjust the preload. If it had worked it would have been really beautiful. Next thing you know we're both on the ground. I guess the bikey still had a little momentum left and rolled right off the stand.

The reason I'm telling you this is that if I hadn't recently visited a website which explained (with pics) how to get one of these bikes back on its feet I'd probably still be standing in that damned parking lot. I did the drill as instructed and up she went. It took a couple of tries before I got the geometry right (and my bionic back might never be the same) but I got it done.

I've had a quick look for that site URL but haven't found it. If someone could post it then it might save somebody else's bacon the way it saved mine today. There are a lot of guys talking about their new bikes here and I definitely recommend this site as a MUST READ. I hope that no one else ever needs this skill, but we're not gonna get that, are we? :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
BTW, I have found that it is easy for this machine and others like it to roll off the side stand. I now put mine in 1st to lock it in position. Almost did the same as you till I read a thread somewhere that it is good to lock in gear when parking. Hard lesson to learn, sorry about you mishap. I had a RT and it fell over twice in the garage and once in front of God and everone. Then again RTs are a bit more top heavy than these are. Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(. Sometime you wish it was just a dream.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not only put it in first, but...

roll it forward until the transmission stops further forward movement. Not a consideration if you are parked facing uphill.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yup, I am going to put her in first gear from now on...

Yup, I was out riding in the rain yesterday. And the Porky is pretty heavy on the top. I lost my footing when I came to stop a couple of time on the slippery pavement. Porky almost fell over.

From now on , I am going to put Porky in first gear just to make sure it doesn't roll off the sidestand when I park.

Plastics
99 K1200RS silver/blue

·
Registered
82 Posts
How muchy is the damage?

Hello BillA
What extend and how much is the damage when your love one fell over?

My older VFR fell over in the parking lot last year and it was $2,200 worth of damage..ugh!

Plastics

·
Registered
589 Posts
sincGT said:
But I see it's a Boxer. Between the heads and the side bags the bike is half-way up before she strains a muscle!
I've personally witnessed Skert use this method on a K12LT, a Goldwing, a Boxer RS and her current K12RS.
If you have a better method, please share it with us. TIA

·
Registered
21 Posts
WHY IS NO ONE SCREAMING about this with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love my bike and I think BMW's are the best - but there is a problem I repeat there is a problem, I have read hundreds of posts Internet wide where K bikes keep falling over onto their sides because of kick stand problems - someone (Not to mention our bank accounts) is going to get hurt, WHY IS BMW NOT ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE.

My bike had 600 miles when it fell of the stand - it was on the ground for 10-15 seconds and it cost $2,600.00 to get it right again.

Our top quality, best engineered motorcycles have a major flaw and it needs to be addressed!!!!!

My two cents

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mr BMW said:
WHY IS NO ONE SCREAMING about this with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love my bike and I think BMW's are the best - but there is a problem I repeat there is a problem, I have read hundreds of posts Internet wide where K bikes keep falling over onto their sides because of kick stand problems - someone (Not to mention our bank accounts) is going to get hurt, WHY IS BMW NOT ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE.

My bike had 600 miles when it fell of the stand - it was on the ground for 10-15 seconds and it cost $2,600.00 to get it right again.

Our top quality, best engineered motorcycles have a major flaw and it needs to be addressed!!!!!

My two cents
Ok, here we go.. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: F%*@#+g kick stand!!

Have you ever thought about taking the side stand issue up with the BMW dealership and possibly requesting factory assistance? Maybe if we all scream loud enough the BMW rep might do something about this.... just an idea...:think:

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
plastics said:
Not much, I'm pleased to say. A few light scratches at the bottom of the fairing, and a ding up above, where it's widest...just forward of the left handgrip. The bottom I've already pretty much forgotten about, and the top I think I can make go away by building up a little touchup paint.

The good news is that I no longer have to dread the first scratch. It's like getting your first dose of the clap out of the way. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
BillA said:
The good news is that I no longer have to dread the first scratch. It's like getting your first dose of the clap out of the way. :rolleyes:
That's a good attitude.

The '03 KRS I bought a couple months ago was pre-scratched! The prior owner slid it on its right side over about 25 feet of his yard. About a square foot of serious scratches (now what is that in square meters?). So I ain't worrying about any dings and scratches that I might add. Until I have it repainted.

Anyhow I bought it to ride, not to worry about every little blemish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of those stand foot expanders helps to steady the bike in loose dirt or soft asphalt. As it comes from the factory, its almost guaranteed to dig in and fall over somewhere.

Mary

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bobmws said:
I've personally witnessed Skert use this method on a K12LT, a Goldwing, a Boxer RS and her current K12RS.
If you have a better method, please share it with us. TIA
Now calm down Bobmws, I didn't mean to imply this was an ineffective method...just noting that with the cylinder heads and hard cases sticking out the bike was already part-way up before she started the lift.

Sheesh!

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally Posted by plastics

Not much, I'm pleased to say......

I spoke too soon. When I righted the bike I saw that the gearshift lever was cocked. I tightened it with the 5mm hex key in the toolkit. Yesterday I took it apart to examine it and reinstall with Loctite. It turns out that the shifter arm is damaged. Not the little angled piece with the rubber, but the arm itself....the part which has the little detents which can accomodate the shifter pedal in one of two positions.

This leads me to wonder if the so-called service CD also contains what I am used to calling a parts manual. I'd love to be able to supply my dealer with a part number so that it can be ordered and replaced when I go in for my 600 mile service. If someone has a copy of the CD I'd appreciate a little look-up. If someone is willing to do it, then PM me with a phone number and I'll call this evening. Thanks, Bill

1 - 20 of 31 Posts