BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably going to open a big debate.

I've ridden a car tire mounted on the rear wheel of a Suzuki Burgman 650 for over 14k miles without troubles.

Now I want to put a car tire on a K75S, since most if not all of my riding will be on highways cruising at speed.

Any K-bike owners ever tried to put a car tire on the rear wheel?

Which make/model car tire have you used?

Any pictures of your car tire mounted?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just talked a good friend of mine off of the "car tire on a bike" strategy (he has a Bergman) as false economy. Put on a mileage friendly motorcycle tire. You just stack the deck a little more against you.

Frank

·
Registered
478 Posts
Guess you'll be going in a straight line all the time. Turning might be a challenge ala HD. :teeth

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not long ago, no one would consider earth is round.. or that planes can fly.. plenty of car tires have been mounted on motorized 2-wheel vehicles and millions of miles have been ridden on them. No indication that incidents are more likely riding with car tires mounted on the rear wheel.

As someone who has experience riding with a car tire mounted on the rear wheel, I can say that it is safer in most applications when operator knows how to ride, just as any tire, moto specific or not. Just as any new tire mounted on a vehicle, moto or car specific, learning curve of vehicle handling is to be expected.

But to debate about this topic without actual experience is like telling someone the riding a motorcycle is dangerous shouldn't be attempted while never ridden a bike themselves.

I've ridden 14k miles on a single car tire ($85) mounted on a Burgman 650; 45% 2-up riding, never an issue, not even a flat.. still have plenty of tread when I sold the Burgman...that enough info for me to believe it personally...

Plenty of videos on Youtube with car tires mounted on Goldwings, Triumph Tiger, Rocket IIIs, leaned at steep angles in corners, just a search away.

Here are some samples:

SPORT Riding on the Darkside - Triumph Rocket III

Contact patch

·
Registered
430 Posts
crazy stupid...maybe i'll call it the lite side and put p4's on my car ,probably will handle great in the twistie's ..i mean for a crossover with motorcycle tire's and all..lol

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
Not a darksider myself but I've read enough posts by people who have done it to realize that it's not the end of the world/recipe for disaster that those who haven't predict.

The biggest downside I think would be that going straight in the wet might cause locking up when braking or hydroplaning the rear given the large contact patch and relatively light weight compared to the load a car puts on a tire. Then again, using a car tire that's got a tread designed for wet driving might mitigate that.

I think the widest tire you could put on a 3" three spoke rear without running into side clearance issues would be a 140, maybe a 150, width tire.

And I think it's awesome that you put a car tire on a scoot. If nothing else then to mess with people's preconceptions.

·
Registered
430 Posts
this is the worthless type of bike that street tire's are good for..if engineer's and racers use motorcycle tire's then so will i
this dam thing we do called riding motorcycle's (not scooters) is dangerous enough that i need every bit of engineering and saftey to come into play and with car tire's that aint happening
i have no respect for cheap ass people that do this ,to me it's like riding with out proper gear and even worse when you do it to a beemer :spank1: ..

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
mikes-ss said:
this is the worthless type of bike that street tire's are good for..if engineer's and racers use motorcycle tire's then so will i
this dam thing we do called riding motorcycle's (not scooters) is dangerous enough that i need every bit of engineering and saftey to come into play and with car tire's that aint happening
i have no respect for cheap ass people that do this ,to me it's like riding with out proper gear and even worse when you do it to a beemer :spank1: ..
Just the kind of people like you who criticize those who think differently that lead to failure of innovation and actual progress like flying and sailing around the earth.

Leave it to those who actually think for advancement and stop your non-contributing posts.

BTW, I likely ride more aggressively on my any of my scooters than you on your BMW, with or without proper gear.

Respect is to be given before you can receive; give no respect, you don't deserve none.

·
Registered
430 Posts
cat0020 said:
Just the kind of people like you who criticize those who think differently that lead to failure of innovation and actual progress like flying and sailing around the earth.

Leave it to those who actually think for advancement and stop your non-contributing posts.

BTW, I likely ride more aggressively on my any of my scooters than you on your BMW, with or without proper gear.

Respect is to be given before you can receive; give no respect, you don't deserve none.
sir i lost respect for you when you made the post ,and i alway's dress for the crash and can personally say i have not nor will not ever ride a scooter..cheers and good luck at discount tire...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mikes-ss said:
sir i lost respect for you when you made the post
Apparently you are conflicted about when you lost respect just between two of your posts..
but that doesn't surprise me because you have not established any credibility to deserve respect in this thread; and since you don't deserve respect, I certainly don't need any from you.

mikes-ss said:
and i alway's dress for the crash and can personally say i have not nor will not ever ride a scooter..
Always dress for crash doesn't free you from getting into crashes, nor getting injured when you do crash, you are just likely to crash as anyone; but riding skills to avoid crashing is more important than any gear.

Having never ridden a scooter yourself, you have no clue what you are talking about. Bike snobs that say they will never ride a scooter simply don't know what they are missing. Keep you mind closed like that no wonder you can't imagine the possibility of riding motorcycle with a car tire. Some of the most fun rides I've done are on 50cc scooters that get maxed out at their performance capabilities.

mikes-ss said:
cheers and good luck at discount tire...
Tire shopping doesn't require luck, just money..in case your mind is closed about that, too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
cat0020 said:
This is probably going to open a big debate.

I've ridden a car tire mounted on the rear wheel of a Suzuki Burgman 650 for over 14k miles without troubles.

Now I want to put a car tire on a K75S, since most if not all of my riding will be on highways cruising at speed.
I've had this discussion with others and I'll never be convinced that it is a good idea. There are significant differences in the types of tires and their intended use that I will never want to be the one to try it out. The only advantage is the amount of money spent on tires.

To each his own but riding is an accepted risk and I choose to eliminate as many as possible and not limit nor restrict my riding to cruising on the highway.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Cat0020,

Power to you. We need early adopters to take the risk to obtain the data to make a rational decision. I am not an early adopter in most cases, and not in this one. I most likely will never choose to put on a car tire. I do adopt early in cases where someone I trust has opted to take the risk and has had success. I do want to hear from the folks that are experimenting. Power to you.

Ignore the folks who haven't matured past the age of 14.

·
Registered
430 Posts
"Ignore the folks who haven't matured past the age of 14"
i think common sense applie's here not age ,i think a 14yr old is smat enough to put the correct tire's on proper vehicle's..just say'n :yeow:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a troll among this thread, yet moderator fail to see it.

I've been told by "J Shook" in a email: "you're starting to sound like a whiney little girl

might be time to STFU".

Not the kind of language I'd expect from a motorcycle riding community, let alone BMW riders.

As a member of this forum since 2005, I am truly disappointed at the level of posts in this forum.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
cat0020 said:
There is a troll among this thread, yet moderator fail to see it.

I've been told by "J Shook" in a email: "you're starting to sound like a whiney little girl

might be time to STFU".

Not the kind of language I'd expect from a motorcycle riding community, let alone BMW riders.

As a member of this forum since 2005, I am truly disappointed at the level of posts in this forum.
boo fooking hoo. disappointed ? I also told you that admins and moderators are not here to censor people you don't like.

Yo caME IN WITH NOT ONLY a STUPID QUESTION AND IDEA BUT GOT BUTTTHURT WHEN CALLED ON IT.
that's the truly disappointing level of posting in this forum.

NOW is the time to STFU. I'm not banning anyone for your convenience

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
shook sez said:
boo fooking hoo. disappointed ? I also told you that admins and moderators are not here to censor people you don't like.

Yo caME IN WITH NOT ONLY a STUPID QUESTION AND IDEA BUT GOT BUTTTHUTRT WHEN CALLED ON IT.
that's the truly disappointing level of posting in this forum.

NOW is the time to STFU. I'm not banning anyone for you convenience, least of all some one I've ridden with and respect.
Did I ask you to ban anyone? no.

Of the questions I asked you, how many have you answered? zero.

I never contacted you, I only reported non-contributing posts in this thread.
You took the initiative to send an email to my personal email address that is associated with this forum; which is very strange, since there is no indication of your roll in this forum.

I don't see the point of communicating if nothing I asked politely is just getting foul language from you.

Please stop yourself from posting foul language in a public forum.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
cat0020 said:
Did I ask you to ban anyone? no.

Of the questions I asked you, how many have you answered? zero.

I don't see the point of communicating if nothing I asked politely is just getting foul language from you. .

Your orgiinal complaint as it cAME tHROUGH
"
This is the reason that the user gave:
Non contributing, offensive post.
This poster needs to be warned from posting messages as such in the future."

YOU don't get to decide what isNon contributing, or offensive "

Please stop yourself from posting foul language.
You also don't get to judge my language.

se the big red letters in my name at the side of my post?

I pretty much do get to write how I want to.

you want Obama level moderation, join the IBMWR list, they'll be happy o accomodate you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts