BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve moved on to a 2014 RT, and I’m enjoying the light and more compact feel, while not missing the power or smoothness of the GT too much.

I’ve great memories and no regrets for riding the GT for the past seven years. When all is said and done, it was the best bike for me available at the time.

Thanks to everyone here for your posts. The GT is now on EBay for a low starting bid owing to high mileage and some issues. If you plan to hold on to your GT forever, you may want to consider it for a parts bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too considered a new RT, but have decided to keep my GT for a couple more years. By then hopefully there will be a few decent used RTs around for a bit of savings on the sticker price.

Enjoy your new ride, I took one out for a test ride and it is a superb machine.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Uh, you might just want to hang onto that GT for a little longer . . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
K1300GT-good-bye, Hello R1200RT....well sort of

so after 3 K bikes-1200s,1200GT,1300GT, I decided about a month ago to go for the new RT. Placed my order, and am waiting.... yesterday , my sales guy ,Roman, of Ride West-Seattle, called me about the rear shock problems , and that all RT's were on "hold" til it was remedied.....that's what I get for ordering a "new" design. Oh well.....
in the meantime, I still have the K bike to ride-- though i will miss the K for all of it's "ways"- the speed, the looks(I happen to like), and the power--- I will not miss the countless near tumbles at <5MPH due to high center of gravity.
so for now , I bid you all adieu, and see you on the RT side soon........ :boom:

·
Registered
77 Posts
A tiny part of my decision not to get a new RT was the newness factor of the model, but I suspect this shock issue is more one of quality control in manufacturing. Hopefully for all those early buyers, BMW can get this sorted quickly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m kinda of hosed by the RT’s shock problem. My GT as a problem of similar magnitude, so I decided I might as well proceed with eBaying it. I too was concerned about the newness of the RT, but hoped that, with the R1200GS wethead out for a year, I could at least count on most of the problems being hashed out.

Despite this being the Age of the Sport Tourer, I didn’t see a whole lot of options for replacing the K12. The K16 is just too big for me. I seriously considered the Triumph Trophy. However, judging from the posts on its respective forum, the Trophy has had more issues than the K12 did in its early years (or maybe Triumph owners just complain more). Maybe I should’ve taken a closer look at the Concours or FJR. Or maybe I should’ve gotten a used K13.

What’s with bikes these days? Why, before I rode BMW, I put 90,000 miles on a ‘85 Honda Sabre and I never had problems like these. Well, except for the starter motor. And the water pump. And that cam rocker arm and camshafts. And the cam chain tensioner. And that spontaneous cracking of the alternator cover. And the clutch bushing going. And the exhaust system. And the cooling fan. And the ignition coil and spark unit. And the front brake master cylinder and calipers and rotors. And the horns. And the oil pressure sender. And two voltage regulators. And two alternators. And the transmission. But I mean, other than that….

·
Registered
430 Posts
emzed said:
I’m kinda of hosed by the RT’s shock problem. My GT as a problem of similar magnitude, so I decided I might as well proceed with eBaying it. I too was concerned about the newness of the RT, but hoped that, with the R1200GS wethead out for a year, I could at least count on most of the problems being hashed out.

Despite this being the Age of the Sport Tourer, I didn’t see a whole lot of options for replacing the K12. The K16 is just too big for me. I seriously considered the Triumph Trophy. However, judging from the posts on its respective forum, the Trophy has had more issues than the K12 did in its early years (or maybe Triumph owners just complain more). Maybe I should’ve taken a closer look at the Concours or FJR. Or maybe I should’ve gotten a used K13.

What’s with bikes these days? Why, before I rode BMW, I put 90,000 miles on a ‘85 Honda Sabre and I never had problems like these. Well, except for the starter motor. And the water pump. And that cam rocker arm and camshafts. And the cam chain tensioner. And that spontaneous cracking of the alternator cover. And the clutch bushing going. And the exhaust system. And the cooling fan. And the ignition coil and spark unit. And the front brake master cylinder and calipers and rotors. And the horns. And the oil pressure sender. And two voltage regulators. And two alternators. And the transmission. But I mean, other than that….
These are machine's everything is going to have issues especially when you use the crap out them..i think the japanese have the most reliable but they are a dime a dozen ,except for the fjr (awesome bike) i dont care for the rest ..bmw stands for heritige engineering and they ride better than any other bike i've owned .infact i'm on my 4th beemer and have had good luck with all of them (i usually ride 15k-18k per yr weekends only) i also find that if i had to use my bike as a daily driver/commuter it would'nt be as affordable as you would think unless you do your own maintanance
with tire's and oil changes a dam car would be cheaper..lol good luck.p,s oh ya alway's get the warranty..

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
BMW has now offered to buy back the affected '14 RT-W bikes.

emzed said:
Or maybe I should’ve gotten a used K13.
And I could get you a great deal on a well-sorted K1300, in excellent shape, for a really great price. Hëll, I'd even ride it out to MA for you . . . :ricky

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Meese said:
BMW has now offered to buy back the affected '14 RT-W bikes.

And I could get you a great deal on a well-sorted K1300, in excellent shape, for a really great price. Hëll, I'd even ride it out to MA for you . . . :ricky
I'm thinking... I'm thinking.... I think I'll wait until Tuesday to see if the rumors of a loaner bike pan out. With no long tour planned this summer, maybe this is even an opportunity to sample something I wouldn't ordinarily buy. A GS maybe? Or an F800GT?

Meanwhile, today I stripped my K of it's farkle mounts in case I'll still need them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts