BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO this is very similar to a post somewhere else, so I apologize for the cross post. Also some beleive, elsewhere, that there is no way I have an 07. Maroni Sticker, VIN, Swingarm, and No Servo pump noise indicate its an 07....

Graphite, ESA, Computer, Heated Grips and Seat, I added an alarm. All was MRSP, 'cept the alarm was at his cost.

My only previous street bike was a HD sportster (it was never the right bike for me and should have never bought it).

WOW. Get it on the freeway for 5 miles, and take off like a rocket. Smooth. Next thing I know I'm doing 80, OK slow down. Get off the freeway. Take it through town. Then decide to go up Mt Diablo. Nice twisty rode, almost 3500 feet elevation change to the top. I took it easy 20-40 mph (Did not want a ticket). Lots of sportbikes and bicylist. Got above 2500 feet and turned around. Sweet handling. I have a lot to learn and this bike is way more capable than I. So I take a few backroads home. All in an hour.

Ride number 2. Took the side bags off. 10 miles of freeway, with about a 25mph headwind, even with the windscreen up I get some buffetting, but I'm 6'4" so I could proabably use a taller shield. Get off the freeway, and take a nice twisty ride up Redwood Road. Couple sportbikes come up on me and pass. The next straight, I open it up and catch back up. I decide to not let my ego kill me or the bike, so I let them take off.

THe bike is amazing. So after about 20 miles on the this twisty road, back on the freeway and meet the wife for dinner. Head home.

Ride 3. Quick ride at dusk. A somewhat curvy road, Foothill BLvd, near my house. By the time I get there its dark. Need to watch for dear. Have the high beams on doing 45 in a 40. Boom, big buck. Brakes work nice. Buck cannot make his mind up about where to go. FInally heads up the hill. I take it easy for the few miles back home.
Some basic observations.

1) Not sure if I have 7.x software. Like I said, I was so excited at the dealer I did not think to ask. Can I tell or can only the dealer tell? DId not notice any wierd pauses or anything, 'cept once at about 3000.

2) The new brakes work very well. Cannot compare to servo assist. THe tech who prepared my bike, pointed out that he heard a slight ratcheting sound. This is the first of this brake he has dealt with so he assumes its normal?

3) I think I may be one that does not like the seat, but we'll see.

4) THis bike just handles, I think it will out ride me for a long time coming.....

Finally, 3 years ago when I went to the BMW museum in Munich, and just fell in love with the the bikes, I knew I would be an owner one day.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
congrats of course

i hope that mine will be here tomorrow.... my dealer doesn't take delivery of new bikes off trucks today.... since service is closed/only sales is open on mondays....
i'll HOPEFULLY be able to get it when i leave work at 12 noon on wednesday

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you get yours in the next day or so, even though it wont be the 07 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops sorry! I was being a bit sarcastic. There was another discussion on anther board where 2 members thought it was impossible that A guy in California could have an 07 GT.

One was based on the fact that a general sales manger from a "darling of BMW NA" delarship told him no 07's were in the US (most car and bike sales guys I ever talked to always say there dealership is the best and like to bluster) . Another came from a guy in Germany. Who claimed that production did not start until the last week in AUgust. Not sure where his info comes from.

However,

The 10'th digit of the VIN says "7" which means its 2007, by US law Although the dealer has 2 years of lattitude on this number. The Marroni sticker, has it as an 07. The bill of sale, and DMV paperwork all say 07. No servo brakes pump noise, unless I'm deaf.... THe production date on the swing arm is stamped 0706, July of 06.

ANyway, Greg was involved with the thread defending my positistion, hence the rolled up eyes on the icon. BTW greg's and my VIN are only 30 off in the 2 far right posistions.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hazard said:
The 10'th digit of the VIN says "7" which means its 2007, by US law Although the dealer has 2 years of lattitude on this number. .
Oops,

SHould not say "dealer", but should say manufacturer has 2 years of lattitude on year code in the VIN.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm wondering if there's going to be a faster way to discern the '06s from the '07s. Maybe a difference of the calipers themselves, would be my first suspicion. Can you take some pics of the calipers (front and rear) when you get a moment?

·
Registered
68 Posts
messenger13 said:
I think Mr. hazard is just razzing dear ol' Greggie Poo. :D
i'm so buried in vomiting kids today that it didn't razz me one bit....
sorry to disappoint you :p

i hope that the bike will be there at 900am tomorrow
but....
only time will tell

there is farkling to do before i pick it up:
1. motolights
2. find a place to put an after-market horn
3. marsee corona bag.... not sure which one yet
4. larger top case
5. version 7.0 update... for sure
6. bmw nav iii installation

i hope to pick it up by 2pm on wednesday....
then, thursday morning.... i'm going to ride to georgia, i think.....
maybe not to tellico plains, though

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
messenger13 said:
I'm wondering if there's going to be a faster way to discern the '06s from the '07s. Maybe a difference of the calipers themselves, would be my first suspicion. Can you take some pics of the calipers (front and rear) when you get a moment?

Won't be for a day or two, but yes I'll try.

Oh yeah one other thing, the back of the seat has a bunch of stickers, and mention the model number as an 2007.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
hazard said:
Won't be for a day or two, but yes I'll try.

Oh yeah one other thing, the back of the seat has a bunch of stickers, and mention the model number as an 2007.
My seat just has a sticker on it that reads, "After 500 miles, this automatically becomes a torture devise.". :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I think I'm one of those guys, that will not like the seat.....

ANyway, here is the picture of the bottom of the back seat. Note the middle sticker on the left, mentions date, and the very far corner of the right mentions date. I took this picture last night and posted it when the debate started.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
there is farkling to do before i pick it up:
1. motolights
2. find a place to put an after-market horn
3. marsee corona bag.... not sure which one yet
4. larger top case
5. version 7.0 update... for sure
6. bmw nav iii installation

i hope to pick it up by 2pm on wednesday....
then, thursday morning.... i'm going to ride to georgia, i think.....
maybe not to tellico plains, though
You're kidding, right? Mine's got all the stuff except the Marsee bag and horn, but I added the AutoCom and a radar detector. They somehow managed to calculate 11 hours worth of $$ labor to do it all - and they upped it from the 4 hours they thought it would take.

It only took them 3 weeks to put it together (awaiting sundry parts) even though it was together on the showroom floor. Need I say they also did it wrong too (i.e. AutoCom didn't work, nor radar, nor GPS NAV II+. Motolight's worked though. Okay, the trunk worked too.

Maybe you meant next Wednesday?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
hazard said:
ANyway, here is the picture of the bottom of the back seat. Note the middle sticker on the left, mentions date, and the very far corner of the right mentions date. I took this picture last night and posted it when the debate started.
That sticker leaves no doubt in my mind that you definitely have an '07.

·
Registered
68 Posts
GMack said:
You're kidding, right? Mine's got all the stuff except the Marsee bag and horn, but I added the AutoCom and a radar detector. They somehow managed to calculate 11 hours worth of $$ labor to do it all - and they upped it from the 4 hours they thought it would take.

It only took them 3 weeks to put it together (awaiting sundry parts) even though it was together on the showroom floor. Need I say they also did it wrong too (i.e. AutoCom didn't work, nor radar, nor GPS NAV II+. Motolight's worked though. Okay, the trunk worked too.

Maybe you meant next Wednesday?
well....
everything is in stock

the nav iii is PLUG 'N PLAY
the motolights go right on as well
the marsee clip for the tank will take 10 minutes max (yes.... they'll charge me for 2 hours i'm sure)

and......
also 2 aux sockets up near the dash

now.....
the autocomm is what takes time and costs the most money
i won't have that done yet
not sure what solution i'll have for that "problem" yet

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Good grief man, all that stuff is just downright easy to do, including the Autocomm. But, then again, we all have our talents and I don't diagnose and treat the young darlin's.

ClearwaterBMW said:
well....
everything is in stock

the motolights go right on as well
the marsee clip for the tank will take 10 minutes max (yes.... they'll charge me for 2 hours i'm sure)

and......
also 2 aux sockets up near the dash

now.....
the autocomm is what takes time and costs the most money
i won't have that done yet
not sure what solution i'll have for that "problem" yet

·
Registered
497 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
Greg,

You should take a look at a couple of threads of mine in the GPS and Intercom sections of this site. I have had the Nav III installed and was discouraged to learn that while the Nav III does connect to your cell phone vial bluetooth and does wonderful things like make your phonebook just a touch away, it WILL NOT let you make or receive calls without a bluetooth headset. The audio jack on the unit is only 2 pole and only gives "line out" audio.

I am going to have to order the bluetooth module for my Baehr now @ $225.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
well....
everything is in stock
....except the bike.....!! :rotf:

If you ever seen one crated up and in a disassembled mode, I doubt if your time-line is gonna come true. They'll re-key the trunk an maybe have a hissy fit doing it. The Motolight's and wiring take time as they need to pull a panel or two to string the wires and switch. The plug-and-play Navigator will take some assembly time too (I needed to get a Gadget Guy bracket since BMW didn't have one then).

Good thing you omitted the AutoCom at this point. I doubt if they will have all the correct leads in stock along with the special "little red box one" (i.e. the ground-loop isolator one).

Dash mount accessory plugs....hours! Heck, it took me nearly two hours to put in a Powerlet socket into the third little hole down below the ones that I had the dealer install (left knee area). Wire needed to be fed under the side panel and frame from the top down. Then where the damn Torx stainless steel screw fell to was another mess (they cost $ 0.90 ea. and only from BMW-NA).

Seriously, here's to hopin' it comes to be. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
grifscoots said:
Good grief man, all that stuff is just downright easy to do, including the Autocomm. But, then again, we all have our talents and I don't diagnose and treat the young darlin's.
the funny thing is.... if i were installing all of these things with you watching, i'd be fine
but.... somehow, beginning to undertake all of this by myself has me a bit spooked

of course, i need a great intercom system
wish we could all get together and install these things in a group

·
Registered
68 Posts
bnblazer said:
Greg,

You should take a look at a couple of threads of mine in the GPS and Intercom sections of this site. I have had the Nav III installed and was discouraged to learn that while the Nav III does connect to your cell phone vial bluetooth and does wonderful things like make your phonebook just a touch away, it WILL NOT let you make or receive calls without a bluetooth headset. The audio jack on the unit is only 2 pole and only gives "line out" audio.

I am going to have to order the bluetooth module for my Baehr now @ $225.

Brian
there is always more money to spend
for me.....
and i have spent a lot of time talking on the phone while riding my '02 LTE with bmw-intercom...
i will be happy just to SEE the CALLERID and know how was calling so i can plan my next stop to check messages

1 - 20 of 27 Posts