BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Got It!

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  UncleRemus 
#1 ·
Well the long awaited moment has arrived, I have purchased a 2003 K1200RS. This has been a long process for me. 6 months ago I decided to sell my 1150GS and get a K1200RS. I have done a lot of reading and test riding. I sold the GS a few weeks ago and yesterday I purchased my K1200RS from BMW of Manhattan. I shopped around quite a bit until I found the right deal. I knew I wanted a least a 2002, a 2003 with some warranty left was what I was really looking for. I found it online in NYC. Just under 9000 miles with a year left on the manufacturer's warranty, plus an additional 24 months coverage provided by the BMW Certified Pre-Owned Advantage program, this kicks in at the end of the manufacturer's warranty. I drove up to NYC from DC yesterday and did the deal.

I know I will have lots of questions but for now I just have a big smile. I put my first 50 miles on today. For now the bike is completely stock. I will keep the stock riding position for awhile before making any changes. This bike is just the nuts man! What a blast.

I do have one question, in the high position the seat seems to have some lateral play (left to right) in the front. Is this normal and is there a fix? Thanks.

#3 ·
Jamie
There should be no seat movement at all. Is the seat locked in properly. You might feel, for the lack of better words: a rocking motion from cheek to cheek sometime. This is seat padding and takes getting used to, that is if you can get used to the seat at all.
Bruce C

#5 ·
My 04 RS seat rocks about 1/8th inch up and down as i push on each side of the seat. Once i put my fat self on it, nothing rocks. One time I did have the seat on wrong and it rocked so much that i pulled it off. Give it a good up and down motion on each side to make sure it is really seated.

#6 ·
GJBushman said:
I do have one question, in the high position the seat seems to have some lateral play (left to right) in the front. Is this normal and is there a fix? Thanks.
Enjoy your RS mate.
I own a 2004 GT, and only have the seat in the low position but I would suggest that you recheck the positioning of your seat to make sure it's located properly.
Apart from that, obviously seat stability should be very firm. Sorry I can't offer more info.
Interesting you have just made the change from the GS to the RS.
I'm seriously looking at a move from the GT to a R1200GS. My wife isn't really very supportive, and I must admit that I love my GT. It's such a lovely looking bike.
In all reality, I don't get too much time to just go for a long ride and camp out, so I'm not sure if the GS will be used too often in this role, so I may as well keep the GT.
Also, trade prices have really dropped due to BMW needing to ship 2006 stock of GTs before the new model comes out. Looks like I will just have to wait.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Ken.

#7 ·
GJBushman said:
[Snip]
Congratulations! :D

I ride with my seat in the low position, but it shouldn't rock in the high position. There's a bit of a trick to installing it in the high position. I'd suspect the middle catch has been missed. Assuming that you have an OEM seat (not aftermarket), try this:
Set the seat straight down, gently. Look towards the rear of the seat, and gently push it into the catch, first position (Not all the way down, the lock has two distinct clicks, you only want the first click)

Now lift the front of the seat, about an inch and a half, and push forward. If done right, it will be quite solid. It may take a few tries to "get it", but you want both the front and middle tangs to slip into place. It doesn't take much force, so don't push it off the stand! :eek:

It's easier to show someone how it's done than to describe it, and I'm not good with words, but I "think" you'll find it pretty solid once installed correctly.

Enjoy your new ride, it's a hoot. :D

Happy New Year :teeth

#8 ·
Congrats Mr. Bushman,
The seat shoud not move side to side. It may rock ever so slighty.
I know you will enjoy the smoooth power of this bike. Every time I get on my bike I wonder why I ever get off it.
I lived in Rockville/Sliver Spring for 30+ years. Get out while you still can!.. Just kidding. Enjoy the ride.

#10 ·
GJBushman said:
Bruce,

It does appear to be locked in. Perhaps I'm missing a part from the pan? I look at the photo in the owner's manual and looks different from what I see under the seat.
Jamie
I just looked at my seat assembly and noticed that the seat latch bar(for the lack of better words) is adjustable. The bar on my seat is all the way forward. Check yours, it's setting might be allowing your seat to rock.
Bruce C

#11 ·
solved, for now

Bruce,

The bar that you mention is forward. However, one of the ends of this bar is missing the cap that covers the screw. I have adapted a small rubber bushing to cover this screw and now the seat is solid. Its odd how in the low position there was no play in the seat, only in the high position. Fixed for now. I'll have to order that end end. Thanks for the help. Now I'll go out and ride that damn thing.

#13 ·
baytown said:
I'm seriously looking at a move from the GT to a R1200GS. My wife isn't really very supportive, and I must admit that I love my GT. It's such a lovely looking bike.
In all reality, I don't get too much time to just go for a long ride and camp out, so I'm not sure if the GS will be used too often in this role, so I may as well keep the GT.
Also, trade prices have really dropped due to BMW needing to ship 2006 stock of GTs before the new model comes out. Looks like I will just have to wait.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Ken.

R12GS is not worth the hit you're gonna take. You CAN go on fireroads and go camping on your GT.

I traded in an R12GS for a K12GT and am happy. I did some serious off-roading with my GS in Arizona when I first bought it, but now am in DC and prefer the linear smoothness of the KGT, plus the cruise control and heated seat in cold weather.

If you want to see how to pack your camping gear, check out Helen Two Wheels Packing System. I don't have it yet, but have seen it in action and it is the bomb. It's on my purchase list for Mar 05. http://www.helen2wheels.com/

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.