BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally surrendered the GT for the multiple recalls due to it. Wheel flange and mounting bolts-done. Fuel pump assembly, checked & replaced-done. Got $95 added (yes, I said added) to my credit card for the cam chain jump guard that I installed a while back :teeth .
Took the money ....and ran :later:

·
Registered
457 Posts
moymurfs said:
Well, I finally surrendered the GT for the multiple recalls due to it. Wheel flange and mounting bolts-done. Fuel pump assembly, checked & replaced-done. Got $95 added (yes, I said added) to my credit card for the cam chain jump guard that I installed a while back :teeth .
Took the money ....and ran :later:
I've been off this site for a year but after changing out the brake fluid I decided to come back and catch up with the K community and now I'm more than curious. Just how did you get $95.00 added to your credit card? I did the timing chain jump guard years ago and I just had the wheel flange done last weekend by the local dlr. No offer to add $95.00 to my card! Just curious.

Thanks.

John06KGT (Chesapeake)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I told Nolan up at Adventure that I had already done it and he punched info into his computer. The day I picked the bike up he said something to the effect of: Hey, I owe you for the jump guard. So we put it on my card. $94.39 to be exact. The repair invoice has
Job: Reimburse owner for Installation of Cam Chain Jump Guard.
Job for: 2008 BMW K1200GT (VIN)

Decription

Sublet Labor

Sublet Labor Subtotal ($94.39)

There was no parts breakdown only mention of labor. :dunno:

But.. as is poetic justice: I just, this week, received my reimbursement for a fuel strip I ordered from Max BMW online.....2 years ago :wtf: . That's after multiple calls and inquiries. They (Max) obviously got tired of no response from BMW and stroked me a check from their dealership and I guess will wait for BMW to send them the reimbursement.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
John06KGT said:
I've been off this site for a year but after changing out the brake fluid I decided to come back and catch up with the K community and now I'm more than curious. Just how did you get $95.00 added to your credit card? I did the timing chain jump guard years ago and I just had the wheel flange done last weekend by the local dlr. No offer to add $95.00 to my card! Just curious.

Thanks.

John06KGT (Chesapeake)
You think that's bad? I brought my K1200GT into my local for a variety of services a few months ago. The dealer logged the chain guard recall on the form, even though I had done it a year or two earlier on my own. No doubt they charged BMW for the "work" too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
moymurfs said:
I told Nolan up at Adventure that I had already done it and he punched info into his computer. The day I picked the bike up he said something to the effect of: Hey, I owe you for the jump guard. So we put it on my card. $94.39 to be exact. The repair invoice has
Job: Reimburse owner for Installation of Cam Chain Jump Guard.
Job for: 2008 BMW K1200GT (VIN)

Decription

Sublet Labor

Sublet Labor Subtotal ($94.39)

There was no parts breakdown only mention of labor. :dunno:

But.. as is poetic justice: I just, this week, received my reimbursement for a fuel strip I ordered from Max BMW online.....2 years ago :wtf: . That's after multiple calls and inquiries. They (Max) obviously got tired of no response from BMW and stroked me a check from their dealership and I guess will wait for BMW to send them the reimbursement.

Thanks for the info. I have to go back to the dlr for some parts later this week and I'll mention to Nolan that I did the jump guard a couple of years ago and see what his says.

·
Registered
457 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
You think that's bad? I brought my K1200GT into my local for a variety of services a few months ago. The dealer logged the chain guard recall on the form, even though I had done it a year or two earlier on my own. No doubt they charged BMW for the "work" too.
That almost made me feel better but that's definitely not right and someone deserves a :spank1:
Makes you wonder how often that happens.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't think I'm gonna be that lucky. Mine's in for those same recalls plus a clutch and a rear tire. I also asked about the fuel strip thing and they're gonna check into that too.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This must be the month when all of us diehards with early K12GT's take in their bikes for all the recalls. Just dropped my 2008, 17,000 mile bike at MaxBMW yesterday for new tires (Michelin Pilot Road 4GT's) and they pulled up my records and told me there were 3 outstanding campaigns on my bike: Wheel flange, Fuel pump and Cam Chain Jump Guard!

My fuel gauge, which was behaving badly on the trip from Fla to NY is working again, but I will rely more on the trip odometer than the gauge, because this pig is to heavy to push.

Previous PR3 tires were worn quite square and handling for the last 500 miles was horrible. They were great when new and lasted 8,000 miles no problem.

While there I wandered over to the new bikes on the floor to see what tickled me, and the temptation to have a bike with a warranty instead of a ticking time bomb is appealing, but not yet $20+K appealing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That's the same 3 they're doing to mine...plus the clutch, plus a rear tire. I'm looking at close to $2500 to get mine outta there. And that's with a 10% discount on the clutch! At 75K on the OE clutch, they said the plates were badly worn and the basket was shot.

·
Registered
677 Posts
dwsdad said:
That's the same 3 they're doing to mine...plus the clutch, plus a rear tire. I'm looking at close to $2500 to get mine outta there. And that's with a 10% discount on the clutch! At 75K on the OE clutch, they said the plates were badly worn and the basket was shot.
So, the three recall items are free, the rear tire is $200 plus installation and the clutch and basket are $2000. Yikes!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dang...forgot they are replacing the rear shock with a rebuilt one I took in as well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
dwsdad said:
Dang...forgot they are replacing the rear shock with a rebuilt one I took in as well.

Do you have ESA? May I ask who you used for the rebuild?

I have had the rear ESA shock on my R1200GSA rebuilt into a Wilburs WESA when it puked all its oil out.

On my R12GT it is the ESA function (rear preload sensor) that has failed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
lhendrick said:
Do you have ESA? May I ask who you used for the rebuild?

I have had the rear ESA shock on my R1200GSA rebuilt into a Wilburs WESA when it puked all its oil out.

On my R12GT it is the ESA function (rear preload sensor) that has failed.
Yep..I have ESA. The OE rear leaked it's oil all over the swing arm.

I picked up a used ESA on eBay and shipped it off to g-race.com for the rebuild. Check my post here about the work I had done to it: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10918&page=3

I'm recovering the stock shock from the dealer and hanging on it for the next rebuild, or maybe sell to help someone else out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks, good option to have.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just picked up my 08 GT from MaxBMW. I had two new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs installed since Max is now selling them for prices close to discounters, and I don't have my tire changing gear with me in NY. Installation is at shop rates (!) but what the heck, I hardly ever let them touch the bike.....

These Michelins are awesome, especially in the wet. The GT designation means they are stiff construction to support the mass of the beast, and the ride is a bit harsh, so I dialed the damping to "Comfort" on the ESA for the ride home over the bumpy 684 roadway. Cannot adjust the preload because that part of the ESA failed recently.

While Max had my bike they did three outstanding recalls, Cam chain jump-guard, wheel flange and fuel pump.

Bike at 19,700 miles is running very well, and the ride home was a real pleasure, even though the seasons seem to have changed from Summer to Monsoon.

Hoping for a few weeks of good, cool riding weather.

·
Registered
457 Posts
lhendrick said:
Just picked up my 08 GT from MaxBMW. I had two new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs installed since Max is now selling them for prices close to discounters, and I don't have my tire changing gear with me in NY. Installation is at shop rates (!) but what the heck, I hardly ever let them touch the bike.....

These Michelins are awesome, especially in the wet. The GT designation means they are stiff construction to support the mass of the beast, and the ride is a bit harsh, so I dialed the damping to "Comfort" on the ESA for the ride home over the bumpy 684 roadway. Cannot adjust the preload because that part of the ESA failed recently.

While Max had my bike they did three outstanding recalls, Cam chain jump-guard, wheel flange and fuel pump.

Bike at 19,700 miles is running very well, and the ride home was a real pleasure, even though the seasons seem to have changed from Summer to Monsoon.

Hoping for a few weeks of good, cool riding weather.
Good choice on the tires and congrats on the updates. The Pilots are great in the rain which is a good thing because I don't normally let rain slow me down but the down pour we got this week caused small lakes to appear on the road so I parked it.
By-the-way, how do you know that the preload isn't working?

·
Registered
677 Posts
ESA failure on preload function.

First indication was cannot select preload level with the ESA button, even when all conditions met (Engine on, stands up, no brakes, push and hold ESA button)

Second indication from GS911 diagnostic scan message. ESA rear sensor failure

Third indication: Bike height does not change at all, it appears to be stuck on one rider setting, could be one rider plus bags. I generally ride solo with bags half filled with miscellaneous spare clothing/gear.

I have already checked all three connectors to the ESA rear shock, no effect.

My plan is to ignore the lack of preload for now, look for a used replacement ESA shock and get it rebuilt with Wilbers shock components as I did for my R1200GSA when it puked out its oil. I wouldn't pay BMW $$$$$ for replacement though.

There is a slight possibility that the failure of the sensor is actually a result of me damaging the ZFE when I was repairing another problem, as that's when the ESA fault started. The ZFE, amoung the other 1,000 things it does with the Canbus, also reads that ESA sensor, etc.

·
Registered
457 Posts
lhendrick said:
ESA failure on preload function.

First indication was cannot select preload level with the ESA button, even when all conditions met (Engine on, stands up, no brakes, push and hold ESA button)

Second indication from GS911 diagnostic scan message. ESA rear sensor failure

Third indication: Bike height does not change at all, it appears to be stuck on one rider setting, could be one rider plus bags. I generally ride solo with bags half filled with miscellaneous spare clothing/gear.

I have already checked all three connectors to the ESA rear shock, no effect.

My plan is to ignore the lack of preload for now, look for a used replacement ESA shock and get it rebuilt with Wilbers shock components as I did for my R1200GSA when it puked out its oil. I wouldn't pay BMW $$$$$ for replacement though.

There is a slight possibility that the failure of the sensor is actually a result of me damaging the ZFE when I was repairing another problem, as that's when the ESA fault started. The ZFE, amoung the other 1,000 things it does with the Canbus, also reads that ESA sensor, etc.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I have one more thing to watch out for. Good luck on the repair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts