BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out which is the best GPS for my bike and where to mount it. Any and all help is much appreciated. Pictures always help if available.

Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Garmin Zumo's are top dog now as motorcycle specific GPS units. I'd run from BMW GPS units as they are usually slow to update their firmware over a Garmin unit - if at all. The BMW (Garmins) do have the nicer glove-friendly push-button cradles though but cost maybe $400 more too. The BMW branded ones seem to be a model behind the Garmin's as well.

The BMW GPS mount works okay the as does the gadgetguy.net monkey-bar stuff that accompanies more junk that you can grow into. He has all sorts of photos on his site, but it is pricey stuff. The RAM stuff is okay in a quick pinch, but I've never been fond of plastic mounts that look like,,,um...aftermarket plastic and are easily stolen.

Mack

·
Registered
132 Posts
I fashioned one out of a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and a 4" long piece of 1/2" round bar. The plate was shaped into a tear drop with a M10 clearance hole in the large diameter and a 1/4-20 flat head hole in the 1/2" diameter side. The rod was drilled and tapped 1/4-20 on both ends to accept a RAM ball and the bolt to attach it to the plate.

Pop the black cap in the top fork bridge and you'll find a M10 threaded hole.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is where i mounted mine. I used a gadgetguy mount www.gadgetguy.net excellent stuff

And this is where i mounted my XM Antenna of you are planning to go that route:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I originally purchased the ZUMO 550 and the XM receiver and had excellent results. If XM Radio/Weather/Traffic is something that you are looking for in your GPS then this is the way to go unless you desire the larger screen that the Zumo 665 offers. Some users have experienced some difficulties with the 600 series, but through my personal use the device has been a great performer. The 665 offers XM Radio/Weather/Traffic capabilities that the 600 can't offer. As far as support I have had fantastic support whenever I contact Garmin.

HINT: Join the AMA to enjoy substantial discounts on Garmin GPS products and accessories.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How's well is your set up insulated from road vibration?

Looks good

·
Registered
259 Posts
I thought the garmin 660 doesn't offer xm radio? I checked the garmin website?!!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I am using the Z-Technik Z6150 center mount for the KGT: http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z6150.html

The Z-Technik bracket offers a range of angles and positions. I agree that a heads-up mount has some advantages, but the lower display is less distracting (less glare) at night, and the position is very convenient to reach.

Here are photos...

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
@ Semper Fi.

The Zumo has some movement, but very little, and never enough to either be distracting or annoying, Given that its position now allows you to not have to take your eyes off the road ahead, this tiny level of movement is more than acceptable. .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Garmin mounts

Another option, if you have the Verholen bar riser - there's a garmin kit that replaces the M8 bolt that has the round rubber ball on the end for hooking up a standard Garmin mount.
I can give you part numbers if you want...

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
shadowBuff said:
Another option, if you have the Verholen bar riser - there's a garmin kit that replaces the M8 bolt that has the round rubber ball on the end for hooking up a standard Garmin mount.
I can give you part numbers if you want...
What's that little turncrank on the right side? Is that how you charge your battery? :teeth

·
Registered
52 Posts
which GPS

i have a Garmin 550 , which has been great, no real problems with it-- although i have an Auto-Com Pro as well, i started out "blue-tooth, ended up having to get a "dongle" and then the music didn't seem loud enough, so had the Zumo"hard-wired" to the Auto-Com, now have music, but no Bluetooth to my I-phone-- any thoughts
Also please tell me why i can't buy a BMW helmet in this country-- and i can't go to Canada and buy one either -- what the hell is that about? :yeow:

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
outlander123 said:
Also please tell me why i can't buy a BMW helmet in this country-- and i can't go to Canada and buy one either -- what the hell is that about? :yeow:
BMW does not sell Their helmets in the USA because of our liability laws and they do not want the exposure of lawsuits. At least that is what I have been told. I purchased my System 4 in France and I have to go to Paris to buy spare visors for me. It is a PITA, but someone has to make the trip(lol)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've attached a picture to try to represent the differences from a POV while riding, as you can see i have the shelf mounted just haven't gotten around to moving the GPS yet. :dunno:

I have a Garmin 2820 I bought refurb'd last year from a vendor on Amazon. Cost $150 and came with a 1 year warranty. I added the XM puck to it. It is currently mounted on the stock BMW mount that you can get to mount on the handlebar posts like shown in DGShafters and Semper FI's. I also have a Shelf that I bought from a fellow GT fanatic to move it up above the gauges.

Bar Mounted Area:
+'s:
Ease of reach to change view, XM channels, or routes w/o stopping (yeah i know its not safe! but that's they way i flow) :p

-'s:
Taking your view from the road too long to either view the display or do any of the changes, also mounted at that point and angle I tend to get a lot of sun hitting it, I assume that a more virt position would eleminate that.

Above the gauges:
+'s:
I think this position provides a much safer area to view the GPS as you are not moving your eyes too far off the road. I also would imagine that the glare from direct hits from the sun would not be as much as the angled mount on the bar area.

-'s:
I'm not sure on the reach to make any changes, however my 2820 does come with a remote that could be mounted on top of the tank bag but maybe Alpinerider or others could comment on the reach factor. Of course YMMV depending on arm length.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have recently purchased the zumo 660 and the Wunderlich GPS mount. Has anyone had the experience of installing these? I am interested in knowing what is the best wiring method as the Wunderlich kit includes a plug in with the unit. Whereas, the zumo 660 has its own harnest with additional connecting wires for earphones etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got a Quest II, the bar backs have a 6mm threaded hole in the top. Ram mount makes a ball with a 6mm thread on it. I put a drop of lock tight on it and have no vibration problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mantmich said:
I have recently purchased the zumo 660 and the Wunderlich GPS mount. Has anyone had the experience of installing these? I am interested in knowing what is the best wiring method as the Wunderlich kit includes a plug in with the unit. Whereas, the zumo 660 has its own harnest with additional connecting wires for earphones etc.

Thanks
What did you end up doing? I just ordered a Wunderlich mount and a Zumo 660. The $100 rebate made me pull the trigger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts