BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on mounting a GPS on my '98 K12RS.

PO delivered it with a dashboard - I have to say, not only did I find it unattractive, but it also made it a pain to get the key in & out of the ignition switch. I'm pretty sure anything I mounted on it that wasn't flat (like a radar detector or whatever) would block my view of the idiot lights anyway.

I picked up one of the clutch/brake reservoir cover RAM plates, but it hits the windshield - makes me think I might have an aftermarket windshield. If I left the w.s. in the "up" (or out) position all the time, it'd be OK, but I don't want to do that.

I was thinking it might be feasible to mount a flat-plate RAM ball to the handlebar plate (triple clamp? triple tree? can't remember what it's called any more); on the left side between the ignition & the left handlebar, there seems to be enough space to screw something directly to the plate. Has anybody done this? It would obviously be a permanent modification, as it'd put holes in the plate, but I don't have a problem with permanent.

Something like this, bolted straight on

Curious if anybody's done this before.

--chiba

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've used the exact piece you pictured, except I mounted it with a u-bolt to the handle bar. One on each side (for GPS and 2-way radio). No permanent modifications or damage to the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mango - I have the GPS mounted on my GS with a u-bolt, but i don't see how (with the clutch fluid reservoir & barbacks) I would get it on the clip-on - of course, I don't know how much adjustment there is there, so I think it's time to find out!

--chiba

·
Registered
227 Posts
GPS mount

I looked at a lot of different set-ups, but I didn't like blocking the key area.

My ancient SP III sits up here, and it's more in my line of sight than if it were down lower.

Only the top part of the tach is blocked when I'm seated (I'm 6' 2").

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Go to www.ram-mount-com and follow the motorcycle section to get everything you need. I just ordered the RAM-B-182U setup for my '03 K with a 2610 GPS. I used a similar mount with my Connie and it was all I wanted. Come to think of it, I mounted an Garmin iQue unit on the Connie, too (same base, different holder).

Ram-Mount, AFAIK, doesn't sell directly. I use MountGuys for all of my Ram-Mount orders (use 'em on my boat, too). link

·
Registered
350 Posts
Clean Ram mount

Ram offers a ball with a 1/4 standard thread bolt for mounting a camera. I took this ball and threaded stud, drilled the aluminum plate that my clip on bars mount to on my 2004 GT, tapped it and screwed the Ram ball in - my GPS mounts to that easily and securely. :clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts