BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, Great thread on mounts, but descriptions would be helpful!

What size is the rail mount shown here:

My bar looks like it is 1 1/2" in diameter at that point, but the largest RAM mount I can find is 1 1/4"

Is that a RAM mount? That's what I want to go with.

thanks,
hank

·
Registered
37 Posts
this one

That is the RAM-BAR+UBOLT. Yes it says that it's for up to 1.25 but I just got one from cycles gadgets and the ubolt etc that came with it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
and the arm length

also... that ram arm length is the middlesized one... I believe it's 3 inches... I also have the 5.25 inch one... it's longer than what I needed..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. That's what I ordered (including the 3" arm.) :)

And now the GPS is backordered until next week. :(

thanks,
hank

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the 2720. It was a bit of a tough call. The 2610 is highly regarded and they dropped some niceties in the user interface when they designed the 27xx series. On the other hand, the 27xx series has a higher resolution screen that should be more viewable in sunlight. (I figured since I hadn't already owned the 2610 I wouldn't miss things like transparent display.)

It seems like the 2610 would have required a 2GB CF card to hold the maps that come installed on the 2720. That means I'm comparing the 2610 at about $600 ($499 + about $100 for the CF card) to the 2720 at about $750.

thanks,
hank

·
Registered
486 Posts
GPS for motorcycles with harddisks

The Garmin 2720 has a harddrive disk to store the maps. WARNING: Vibration is bad for disk drives. There is a greater possibility of failure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mudbug said:
The Garmin 2720 has a harddrive disk to store the maps. WARNING: Vibration is bad for disk drives. There is a greater possibility of failure.
You're thinking of the 2620. The 2720 has flash memory.

thanks,
hank

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Here's another way, using the RAM-9M mount:

All it takes is a longer handlebar "pinch bolt" and a spacer.

Works equally well with my StreetPilot-sized 295.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Size of yoke

HankB said:
Hey, Great thread on mounts, but descriptions would be helpful!

What size is the rail mount shown here:

My bar looks like it is 1 1/2" in diameter at that point, but the largest RAM mount I can find is 1 1/4"

hank, this is a more public reply to your question, hope the attached photo comes with this reply.

peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts