BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Leon here from digitalbrushes.com (the T-shirt guy) Had to put a little plug in there.

Anyhow, I went out to take a ride on my 2004 GT Piedmont Red, (With out question THE Fastest Color!) 20k on it, and when I backed her up she seemed a little harder than normal, Easy Guys!, sure enough, it was soft in the rear! (That's what he said!) Ha!

Well, then I inspected it from the rear and there was a 3 inch kind of silver nail in there.
Kind of kinky. SOOoo, I pulled it out and she let out a large breath of air! Now it was really soft.

So, I did a little net research on tires and found a great buy on the Conti-Road Attacks.
From http://www.tireexpress.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=7709

My cost was $214.99 including the shipping. Very easy to deal with. I got them in 2-days from Ohio to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. You know, The Panthers, who almost made it to the superbowl! Look out next year!

This is the 4th set of tires in 21k and the 3rd flat on the rear. Just bad luck. I will say that we have an on going building and economic growth boom here in the greater myrtle beach area. I talked to a couple of local bike dealers and they have all said that has been a lot of tire replacement due to flats. If you have'nt used these tires, They come highly recommended from me! This will be my second set. Pretty sticky and very good milage, very good in the rain, and pretty quite. I still had a few K's of life left on the Pilot roads, They were Ok, but to darn noisy.

Anyhow, thought I would pass the word on the good deal.

Ride Safe & Ride Far!

Leon

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Leon......your neighbor here.......OkeefenokeeJoe.

I took just took delivery of a set of Conti Road Attacks for $205 delivered. Great price. I got mine from http://tires4fun.com out of Paintsville, Kentucky. Actually, I got them off their E-Bay store, which is under a different name. Their EBay store sells cheaper than their web store.....go figure. If you go to EBay, then enter Continental Road Attack in their search engine, it will take you to the right spot.

By the way, I'm giving your name and contact information to the local Blue Knights GA VIII chapter. The are getting ready for their annual charity poker run for "COPS" (children of police survivors). The COPS organization provides support for families of slain police officers who are killed in the line of duty. Also, when children of slain officers graduate from high school, COPS provides scholarships so they can attend college. The local Blue Knights chapter donates the proceeds of this highly advertised poker run to the COPS organization. Anyway, to make a long story short, they are looking for a new vendor to make the T-Shirts, which will be sold at the Poker Run. I mentioned your name and business at the last meeting........someone will be contacting you.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
264 Posts
Leon,
Good price but they don't offer the size for those of us that still have a 5" rear wheel (anybody got a spare 5.5"er?) Nor do they have the right size rear for my R bike. Kindo strange.

www.mawonline.com has both tires and I've used them before with good results. About the same pricing. Shipping may be a little better for us on the left coast since their warehouse is out here, I think, in Nevada.

But the best price/shipping total cost I've found is on ebay. The seller is accessorysurplus and I just got the front delivered to my front door yesterday (didn't need a rear.). $92 and change shipped.

Damn I love online shopping. A few clicks and it shows up at my door.

--Jerry

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Leon,
You mentioned the 5" wheel problem...do you see an advantage of the 160/60 Conti over the 170/60 Avon or Z6? I too have the 5" and would like to try the Conti but don't want to lose footprint.
Thanks, JMc

·
Registered
589 Posts
Flat Avoidance

southerndude said:
Hey Guys,

Leon here from digitalbrushes.com (the T-shirt guy) Had to put a little plug in there.

This is the 4th set of tires in 21k and the 3rd flat on the rear. Just bad luck. I will say that we have an on going building and economic growth boom here in the greater myrtle beach area. I talked to a couple of local bike dealers and they have all said that has been a lot of tire replacement due to flats.
Ride Safe & Ride Far!

Leon
Usually the front tire will stand up the nail so it punctures the rear tire. A small mudflap, maybe one of those bristle types you see on the back of RV's, mounted inconspicuously on the belly pan might clear the nails away from your rear tire. Might be woth a try considering the frequency of flats you're having.

·
Registered
828 Posts
awk, no way

Bobmws said:
Usually the front tire will stand up the nail so it punctures the rear tire. A small mudflap, maybe one of those bristle types you see on the back of RV's, mounted inconspicuously on the belly pan might clear the nails away from your rear tire. Might be woth a try considering the frequency of flats you're having.
I like the idea, but not on my bike.... that would look extremely ridiculous. But I guess new tires are the price of vanity. My suggestion is head to the optometrist for a new set of eagle eyes. Then you can steer around the nails prior to puncturing your tire.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looking for Leon's nail gun

Leon,
Now how can we take the recommendation for a tire from someone that averages 5k per tire and throws nails in them?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cheap prices are one thing, stale tires another. Is anyone checking the DOT codes on these tires to see how fresh they are?? Or are you getting a great deal on 2yr old tires??

GTRider

·
Registered
264 Posts
GTRider said:
Cheap prices are one thing, stale tires another. Is anyone checking the DOT codes on these tires to see how fresh they are?? Or are you getting a great deal on 2yr old tires??

GTRider

My e-bay tire was about 4 months old. Hard to get-em into the retailer much quicker than that. --Jerry

·
Registered
222 Posts
My EBay tires also came from accessoriessurplus (aka: tires4fun.com).

The front tire was 5 months old.

The rear tire is just over a year old.

I consider a manufacture date of 16 months or less in the acceptable range. Nothing scientific to base that on, that's just me.

Tires were delivered in a timely manner and packaged well. They looked new and had a deep "waxy" sheen. They were not scuffed or dirty and did not look as if they had been dragged all over a warehouse (as some I have seen) or "sitting" for awhile.

The owner of the bike shop that installed my tires is a Metzler dealer and does not carry the Continental line. My Road Attacks were the first he had seen. He checked them out throughly and was real impressed. He particularly liked the tread pattern and the stiffer sidewalls, which are essential with heavy sport tourers like the K-Bikes, the ST1300, and the FJR 1300. He asked me come back by after a couple or three thousand miles or so, so he can see how they are wearing. Perhaps he will pick up the Conti line for his shop.

At $205 per set delivered, I am well pleased....to say the least.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
222 Posts
Oh yes....one more thing.

I rode my bike to the bike shop in Savannah....no I did not carry just the wheels in. My wife followed me in the car with the tires. Superbike Specialties charged me $60 total to remove the front and rear wheels and, mount and balance my new tires, then reinstall. They used stick-on weights and did a really nice job.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Have to agree...and

Have to agree about not only how quiet they are, but how noisy the Pilot Roads are, YIKES! One thing I leftout of my post on the Conti Road Attacks is this. The little road imperfections, or holes to some, when you hit them, the R/A's do NOT transmit the vibration to your hands. With the Michelins, I felt everything. The R/A's seem to absorb small hazards much better. That adds up on those 8 hour riding days.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just in case.....

OkeefenokeeJoe said:
Hi Leon......your neighbor here.......OkeefenokeeJoe.

I took just took delivery of a set of Conti Road Attacks for $205 delivered. Great price. I got mine from http://tires4fun.com out of Paintsville, Kentucky.

Just in case you are looking for Metzeler's (I checked these two sites above^^, they don't sell them) I got my new tires (K12GT '04) from:
http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=Z6
$224.00 total (free shipping) in four-five days from Arizona to upstate N.Y. .
Just for FYI

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Proof is my belief

Well, someone in the thread asked how I could recommend the R/A's with a 5 k average on all my tires. I actually got 8.6 k on a set of R/A's when I got a flat on the rear.

I think I could have gotten 9.5 pretty easy. They were my first set after the OEM, terrible Z4's. What was BMW thinking. I think that is great milage for a tire on the GT. I especially love the way the front wheel feels in the handeling. I agree with the R/A's soaking up a lot of vibes. I think its the 0/degree belt design that works so well.

I'm struggling with doing a major suspension upgrade to the GT. Part of me wants to do the whole front and rear Ohlin thing, but, I want to really test ride the new GT. Even though I keep telling myself that I won't pay 21K for a bike.

Ok you real experienced riders, how do you know, or what do you feel for in the stock suspension that tells you it's either pretty worn out or getting there? Tire pattern wear?
I would think that most tire pattern wear happens due to the design and the maintained tire pressure's. I have 20 K on her now.

Leon

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
cobbler said:
Have to agree about not only how quiet they are, but how noisy the Pilot Roads are, YIKES! One thing I leftout of my post on the Conti Road Attacks is this. The little road imperfections, or holes to some, when you hit them, the R/A's do NOT transmit the vibration to your hands. With the Michelins, I felt everything. The R/A's seem to absorb small hazards much better. That adds up on those 8 hour riding days.
Just remember, you're comparing new RAs to old michelins...I'm an RA fan and not a Michelin fan but wanted to be fair. I've several times thought how much better the new tires were than the old and then after a few thousand miles figured out they're about the same.

--Jerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts