BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks... been a long-time LT owner (and member on bmwlt.com), and just in the process of acquiring a very neat K1200GT (2004/05) with low k's so that I can spend some lazy service time on the LT and still get to work and back without resorting to bloody public transport.

Plenty or research to do, and expect I'll be asking a few questions about its intricacies.. particularly where it differs to the LT.

cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the site

Hey welcome to the site Cws and congratulations on your new acquisition.
I've owned the 2006 K1200GT model for the last 7 years and still love it, great for day rides and still good enough to load up the missus and a bit of gear and tour for a week.
Anyway happy and safe riding.
Regards Filodian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome aboard CWS!!

Glad to see you are so pleased with the LT that you have gone for another BMW.

I'm very pleased with my 2009 K1300GT after 2 years of ownership. My only complaint is that I haven't been able to carve out more time for riding it. I've only add 6,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chris

Did the same here in NZ, on a K1200GT 2008. Had some great runs, latest was around the East Cape from Auckland in a day... she is a nice machine, though doesn't have the glassy smoothness of the LT/RG brick engine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome, love my 04 GT. Can't speak as to the difference from a LT. The touring bikes never apealed to me. But, the GT has been more than comfortable for 2 up cross country trips and handles well enough in the twisties when you get there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
longwayfromhome said:
Chris

Did the same here in NZ, on a K1200GT 2008. Had some great runs, latest was around the East Cape from Auckland in a day... she is a nice machine, though doesn't have the glassy smoothness of the LT/RG brick engine.
Hi Ralph... hows NZ been looking after you?

The GT I picked up is the same brick as the LT.. (2004 build, not reg till Feb 2006) one of the reasons I bought it. Means I pretty much only have to remember how to maintain 1 x type of bike whether I'm working on the LT or the GT :) (apart from the tupperware of course).

Interestingly the GT's motor sounds quite "throaty" compared to the LT, and the power is just brilliant with the lower weight.
Put new tyres on it last weekend and now it turns and sticks...
Its really only for commuting to save the LT for longer trips and so I can do maintenance on one while still riding the other.
Have just upgraded the lo-beam to HID, and installed a Stebel Nautilus, added my old comms system in the tank bag for tunes and phone, a garage door opener, and a go-pro on the tank... think I"m ready for Sydney traffic :)

About the only thing I'd like to change would be to get the bars about another 2" higher and 2" closer to me so I sat a little more upright..... and get the balls off that tank! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts