BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
K1200RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks, is a GS 911 Diagnostic Tool worth the investment for a 2004 K1200RS? (It's only got 52K Kms on it.) This is my first bike with fuel injection and a brain. My Sportster and KZ650 are old school with points and carburettors so I'm on a learning curve, here.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Folks, is a GS 911 Diagnostic Tool worth the investment for a 2004 K1200RS? (It's only got 52K Kms on it.) This is my first bike with fuel injection a brain. My Sportster and KZ650 are old school with points and carburettors so I'm on a learning curve, here.
If you do not have any current specific issues, it might not be worth it. However keep in mind that nowadays any visit to the BMW dealer is probably $100 to $200 minimum so for any check / tests in case of problems related to EFI or ABS it can become an investment. Of course, I am assuming you are a competent do-it-yourself...

These older Motronic EFI system are pretty limited in terms of data they can give to the diagnostic tool , so some limitations are nor specific to GS911 but to the Motronic older technology.

For these K1200RS-GT the GS911 will serve mainly to:
1) read EFI system (Motronic) fault codes if any
2) read ABS fault codes if any
3) test some ABS functions - this is only for integral-ABS with servos - it does NOT apply to 1st generation K1200RS having older ABS2
4) gather real-time data from all EFI sensor and see these on screen as graph. This is very useful to check Oxygen sensor ..OR.. to troubleshoot an issue related to EFI system. These sensors values can also be saved into a file (comma delimited data column) and later be studied in an EXCEL spreadsheet.

On older GS911 version like mine (Yellow version) you could only do this engine running (data gathering) in garage with PC connected into GS911. On more recent version (since approx 2012), you can actually go for a ride with GS911 gathering real-time engine data into its own memory - this is very useful to solve intermittent EFI issue.

ALSO, keep in mind that the newer RED version can also do all newer BMW like K1600 and S1000 and water-cooled R1200-R1250 boxers. So if you have some friends with any of these you could potentially split the cost. On most of these more recent BMW models, a do-it-yourself guy that does his own oil changes and maintenance needs a GS911 to erase / reset the pesky warning on dash that keeps reminding your bike is due for maintenance.

·
Registered
K1200RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you do not have any current specific issues, it might not be worth it. However keep in mind that nowadays any visit to the BMW dealer is probably $100 to $200 minimum so for any check / tests in case of problems related to EFI or ABS it can become an investment. Of course, I am assuming you are a competent do-it-yourself...

These older Motronic EFI system are pretty limited in terms of data they can give to the diagnostic tool , so some limitations are nor specific to GS911 but to the Motronic older technology.

For these K1200RS-GT the GS911 will serve mainly to:
1) read EFI system (Motronic) fault codes if any
2) read ABS fault codes if any
3) test some ABS functions - this is only for integral-ABS with servos - it does NOT apply to 1st generation K1200RS having older ABS2
4) gather real-time data from all EFI sensor and see these on screen as graph. This is very useful to check Oxygen sensor ..OR.. to troubleshoot an issue related to EFI system. These sensors values can also be saved into a file (comma delimited data column) and later be studied in an EXCEL spreadsheet.

On older GS911 version like mine (Yellow version) you could only do this engine running (data gathering) in garage with PC connected into GS911. On more recent version (since approx 2012), you can actually go for a ride with GS911 gathering real-time engine data into its own memory - this is very useful to solve intermittent EFI issue.

ALSO, keep in mind that the newer RED version can also do all newer BMW like K1600 and S1000 and water-cooled R1200-R1250 boxers. So if you have some friends with any of these you could potentially split the cost. On most of these more recent BMW models, a do-it-yourself guy that does his own oil changes and maintenance needs a GS911 to erase / reset the pesky warning on dash that keeps reminding your bike is due for maintenance.
Thanks, John. I think I'll hold off on the GS 11 until I get a more recent bike. I'm pretty competent with the basic stuff (changing plugs, adjusting valves, changing and bleeding brakes, etc.). I've not made the investment or taken the time to get into the electronic side of things so I'll be happy to take the bike in every couple of years to have the ABS flushed and checked. The mechanic can do the brain scan thing at that time and charge me a bunch for the privelidge.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
The GS-911 is definitely worth the investment. I finall bought one last month and it diagnosed a bad O2 sensor that was only a few months old. I would have never guessed a new sensor could go bad in several thousand miles, but it did. As these bikes age little problems will pop up and I for one can't afford to runn it to the dealer all the time and MANY techs out there don't know this bike and some dealers, like one in particular in my area refuses to work on them for that tech knowledge shortage. I bought the WiFi model and yes it does have an emergency mode if you are without a hotspot/WiFi so don't worry about getting stuck without it. I carry it with me everywhere now. Cry a little now, save a lot later.

·
Registered
K1200RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jim. You've thrown the cat in amongst the pigeons. Now, I'll have to rethink the purchase. I do have a friend with a R1200 boxer. I'll have to see if he's willing to split the cost. If not, I'll just wait until he needs it and then charge him a "reasonable" (for me) rate to use it.

Ride safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts