BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. Just bought my first RS, 2003.
Can anyone tell me if the factory seat can be raised in the front? I feel like my crotch is sliding down into the tank all of the time. A little uncomfortable.

Also. The bike has deep oil stains on the valve covers. The silver head plates are stained. Can anyone tell me how to get this off? I tried rubbing compound, degreaser, Plexus, everything.

Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
help

cant help u with the stain, but can relate to the sh*t seat. save your time and energy, i spent a full yr trying to make that seat rideable, including repositioning, refoaming, recovering, replacing(sargent). it got so bad i was considering selling my kgt for lack of comfort. i finally forked over $500 to my friends at russell seating in CA. i now can ride 15hrs in the saddle, no discomfort at all in seating. it has become a non-issue. bike is now all smiles. good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ditto

A+1 for Bills Comment. I also use a Russell on my 04KGT and have no issues doing 1200 mile days. I did take a trip down to the Keys on my stock seat about a year ago and could not walk after the third day.
If you love the bike, buy the DAy-Long from Russell.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The seat is junk. I replaced it as fast as I could after getting the same bike. The GT comfort seat is a good option for short trips and city riding. Over the road a daylong or equal is necessary. You can also wire up the GT comfort seat and have heat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
rjoelshipp said:
Hi Everyone. Just bought my first RS, 2003.
Can anyone tell me if the factory seat can be raised in the front? I feel like my crotch is sliding down into the tank all of the time. A little uncomfortable.

Also. The bike has deep oil stains on the valve covers. The silver head plates are stained. Can anyone tell me how to get this off? I tried rubbing compound, degreaser, Plexus, everything.

Thanks
Have you tried the factory seat in the high position? There are two notches in the front of the seat pan to lock into the bike. Lower notch for "high". It's kind of tricky to get. Lay the seat in position on the bike without pushing down. Open the lock for the latch in the back. Keeping the seat in the high position and look under the front of the pan and pull the seat forward so the lower notch engages.
In
the high position the seat seems a little more level.
It's worth a try

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Seat comfort is a personal issue. Three times I've ridden over 1,000 miles in one day on the stock seat (did it just last weekend, Minden to Denver, about 16 1/2 hours). The stock comfort seat is not a problem for me, but my ass has a bit of extra cushion.

To put the seat in the upper position:

1. Remove the seat,
2. Stand behind the bike, grasp the seat on each side at the pillion position,
3. Place the front of the seat into the guides, and put the rear of the seat on top of the latch,
4. Push down until the latch clicks once but is not fully seated,
5. Lift the front of the seat so it's in the upper position,
6. While holding the front of the seat up, briskly push the seat down and towards the front, while taking care not to push the bike off its side or center stand.
7. The seat should now be secured in the latch, but with the front in the upper position.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Stock seat for me sucked.And the high position left me so I couldn't touch the ground with both feet.Had stock seat cut and recovered.A lot better, not great, but doable now.The stains you mentioned are permanent I think. Repaint is only option.I would check to see what caused the stains as the tank connections are prone to leakage. Also some earlier models had issues with fuel pump seal, my 98 did.A cheap sheep skin thrown over the seat will help as will the wooden bead pad.Using a sheep skin in the rain in Wyoming tho is a hazard, as the smell of wet wool seems to bring out some strange cowboys trying to take you to dinner, be warned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jimmm said:
Stock seat for me sucked.And the high position left me so I couldn't touch the ground with both feet.Had stock seat cut and recovered.A lot better, not great, but doable now.The stains you mentioned are permanent I think. Repaint is only option.I would check to see what caused the stains as the tank connections are prone to leakage. Also some earlier models had issues with fuel pump seal, my 98 did.A cheap sheep skin thrown over the seat will help as will the wooden bead pad.Using a sheep skin in the rain in Wyoming tho is a hazard, as the smell of wet wool seems to bring out some strange cowboys trying to take you to dinner, be warned.

NOW that's funny, I don't care who you are! :rotf:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts