BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In it's stock form...I would say no. Too many Ergonomic adjustments are required to increase comfort to go the distance. It's like trying to turn a GT into an RT. Why not just buy the RT? It would be much less expensive. RT or GS might be the way to go!

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
:manure:

Gonna call bull-puckey on this one.

I've done two Saddle Sore 1000's (one certified, the other not) and several 700+ mile day rides, and several multi-thousand mile, multi-day rides with stock seat, stock bars, pegs in the high position, and RS windscreen. It's a great and fast long distance tourer with the stock equipment. The stock ergos are plenty good enough for long distance touring. :yesnod:

·
Registered
372 Posts
He's trolling again so don't encourage him. Anyone who rides a GT will attest that it's a very capable long distance ride in stock form.

:troll:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
rhhall said:
:manure:

Gonna call bull-puckey on this one.

I've done two Saddle Sore 1000's (one certified, the other not) and several 700+ mile day rides, and several multi-thousand mile, multi-day rides with stock seat, stock bars, pegs in the high position, and RS windscreen. It's a great and fast long distance tourer with the stock equipment. The stock ergos are plenty good enough for long distance touring. :yesnod:
+1 on this!! I have 2 SS 1K's and many multi-day LD trips on my '04KRS, with only a Sargent seat, barbacks and a GT windscreen, as changes. If I wanted a twin, for long distance riding I would have bought one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No doubt the GT is the perfect bike for a competition rally such as the saddlesore1000. Were you a bit tired after any of those runs? Did you neck hurt from tucking in behind the windscreen at 100mph most of the way there? I'm sure all that blazing accelleration didn't exert ANY G-forces on your body. The GT is an exotic, day trip/weekend trip, pack light, get there fast type of bike. Your body will grow old quickly competing in cannonball type rallys! Suit yourself! I'm going to an R1200GS one day soon!

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
BigHausLittleFalsy said:
No doubt the GT is the perfect bike for a competition rally such as the saddlesore1000. Were you a bit tired after any of those runs? Did you neck hurt from tucking in behind the windscreen at 100mph most of the way there? I'm sure all that blazing accelleration didn't exert ANY G-forces on your body. The GT is an exotic, day trip/weekend trip, pack light, get there fast type of bike. Your body will grow old quickly competing in cannonball type rallys! Suit yourself! I'm going to an R1200GS one day soon!
I'm 51 years old and comfortably do a 1,000 mile day on the GT. Bars all the way down, stock pegs, though I do have a Cee Bailey. Then again, I live in south Tejas and my brain was fried by the heat many years ago (try running fence line on your land at 106 degrees where the breaker bar and post hole digger could fry eggs).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Come on. Any bike is a touring bike if you're tough enough.

·
Registered
43 Posts
pouser

Yo brotha: Quit wax'm and start rid'n. I'll be a wav'n as I go by on the KGT do'n any long distance ride. Compared to an all day 1000 miler; an Rt maybe, a GS no way. U cant hang on the straights or even in the curves. The only thing I can conceed is the mo-fo stock seat. But, go a-head and throw some more dough at it and scratch that leetle problem off u're list. Could u please send me what ever u're smok'n to come to the conclusion that a GS is the all day way to go. GO FIGURE.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
davidk63 said:
He's trolling again so don't encourage him. Anyone who rides a GT will attest that it's a very capable long distance ride in stock form.

:troll:
I have to agree...

Last four years it's been a two-week vacation to get to, ride in, and ride away from the Texas Hill Country.
1800 miles to get there, ~1000 miles riding there, 1800 miles back.

To say it can't tour fully loaded (and then scoot around some nice twisties) is a bit short-sighted.

IMHO, of course :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes it's capable, as is any bike, of touring. Is it comfortable? Not really. Does it get outstanding fuel economy? Not really...I've run out of gas a few times doing triple digit speeds on the open hwy. Mileage can vary from 20mpg-45mpg depending on how fast you want to get there. Many times I've had to slow down to 50 miles per hour just to make it to the next fuel stop. How does it handle the tight technical stuff? Not very good...I'd rather have a more nimble bike for tight twisties.What would you expect? The GT was built for speed. Getting back to the comfort level......I noticed most of you guys have put bar backs on and foot peg lowering kits and taller windscreens and aftermarket seats and backrests and it still doesn't compare to the standard riding position of the GS or the slightly laid back position of the RT. So once again in stock form..I say no it's not comfortable. The sport riding postition is not the preferred position for touring. The object of touring isn't to get there as fast as you can..a misconception I've had....it's to slow down and enjoy the scenery and get there in comfort with all your gear. I see ALOT of 1200 GS's and RT's on the interstate. It might be the better and more practical way to go! The shorter wheelbase and lighter weight plus less throttle input=better real world touring! Not to mention the basic upright position. I like the rider position on the GS better than the RT.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Yet, most GT folks leave the bars alone, leave the pegs alone (or raise them up and back) and are very happy with the seat. Most...

Yes, it's not that well built for tight, twistie roads. Get some nice sweepers, though, it's in its element, and far, far better than a GS. Just don't take it off the pavement.

For the purpose the bike was built, it does just fine. If you're happy with a sissy twin, by all means, enjoy. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
BigHausLittleFalsy said:
Not really...I've run out of gas a few times doing triple digit speeds on the open hwy.
Just how does this happen? and a few times? Sound like you ignored the low fuel light....a few times.....not the bike's fault!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Tourer?

BigHausLittleFalsy said:
Is this a touring bike? It's comfy. The GT is a tough act to follow...but if you could get another bike...what would it be? Japanese?
Does the GS have cruise?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
milkman said:
Just how does this happen? and a few times? Sound like you ignored the low fuel light....a few times.....not the bike's fault!
MPG is directly inversely proportional to RPM on the GT. In other words...MPG really goes down further than you think at 100+mph. Four cylinders, 16 valves!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Razel said:
Yet, most GT folks leave the bars alone, leave the pegs alone (or raise them up and back) and are very happy with the seat. Most...

Yes, it's not that well built for tight, twistie roads. Get some nice sweepers, though, it's in its element, and far, far better than a GS. Just don't take it off the pavement.

For the purpose the bike was built, it does just fine. If you're happy with a sissy twin, by all means, enjoy. :D
It has occured to me that I may not want an air/oil cooled twin either...but it's still 1200cc's..so I hardly think it's a sissy...just a different torque delivery.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
The GT is a Sport - Touring motorcycle. Although I'd say it leans more towards the Touring aspect and less Sport as compared to the FJR or Connie14.

So yes, it is a touring motorcycle. It's also a sporting motorcycle. That's why I bought it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts