BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone.
I have my dealers Demo 06 GT for the weekend, and want to make a purchase however can't compare an S with the GT (bugger), so I'm seriously on the edge of buying the demo bike.
It's fitted with the Xenon headlight (great light output). Accordingly, does any know of a supplier of a suitable head light protector the the new GT?
I dread smashing this light, and asked the same on VICs list 2 1/2 years ago for my new 04 GT. Someone came back saying that a stone hit wont happen, and for some reason, I took this stupid advice. One week later I had a smashed headlight!
This will be expensive on the new GT.
Iv'e been to Jerry's site, but no joy. I would prefer to deal with him any day.
Thanks for any advice, and best wishes.

Ken.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
easyman05 said:
Check with Cee Bailey - they offer.

Zdravstvuite.
Thanks for the reply, but they don't list a headlight protector for the 2006 GT, windshield yes, but no headlight items.

Всего наилучшего!

Ken.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I'm not sure you really need one on the new GT. The headlight is high impact plastic, unlike the glass of the previous generation RS/GT. Sure, the replacement of the unit is still expensive (about $400), but it's not glass and the $600 plus for the RS/GT replacement.

I assume that if anyone begins selling them, Pirate will carry them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good on you Jeff.
The light on the bike I'm looking at purchasing is Xenon, and I'm sure a one piece unit, so any protection I can give it on our goat tracks we call highways in this part of OZ is certainly needed. Ideally, the soft lens protectors as that offered for the prior model GT (Purchased from Jerry, and was a great piece of kit).

Ken.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ken,

I had the entire front end (leading edges) wrapped in a Clear Bra product. While they were at it, I had them put a piece of 17 mil plastic over the headlight. I have a Crystal Grey GT and they installed a blue film over the headlamp. I think it looks pretty cool. They use this same product on the headlamps for automobiles with Xenon lights so I think that the heat would not be an issue.

I know you can order a kit or film stock from: www.stickercity.com.

Ask for Andrew. I'm sure they would be happy to send to OZ.

Pete D.

Simi Valley, CA

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly the info I need.
Thanks for the help Pete.
I still have a bottle of the slippery stuff Jerry supplied for the 2004 GT head light protector, so positioning it shouldn't be an issue.
All I have to do is pay for the bike now (then I won't have to give it back!)

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
messenger13 said:
I'm with Jeff on this one. I don't think this polycarbonate lens needs any protection at all.
Agree, but the saddle bag lids and a couple other spots might. I ordered some stuff, but only because my wife is sooo much more better at that than me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see that Sticker City now has dedicated 06 GT headlight protection kits in stock. $35 US.
I went to place an order however their postage rate to me in Australia for a thin film of this sheet was $45 US!
Jerry, you need to stock this stuff!
I'll see if I can contact some one over there to order through, as opposed to paying silly money for postage. (I use the US Postal Service for most US postage and have a good idea of costs for airmail to and from OZ)

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The cost to replace the zenon headlight unit in the UK is over 600 pounds, however it is a polycarb unit and should be ok with flying stones etc. Afterall, how many cars have headlight protectors? I smashed mine in a crash, but I don't think a protector would have helped there.

Brian

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
G'day Brian.
I'm amazed with the replies on the list who say that a Polycarbonate lens will be fine.
The stones in the US and UK must be a lot less damaging than in Oz. (Actually, I driven 8000mile on US roads and the main highways and secondary highways are nothing like Aussie Goat Track 1 up here in Nth Queensland) I've seen numerous broken head light covers on vehicles here.
Where I live consists of narrow two lane highway, with loose shoulders, resulting in lots of stones thrown up by trucks and cars. I replace at least two wind shields per year! (We drive 130 - 160 kms per day along this road).
In Oz, most non urban cars up here have headlight protectors!
I'll be buying a protector for sure.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
Registered
108 Posts
baytown said:
G'day Brian.
I'm amazed with the replies on the list who say that a Polycarbonate lens will be fine.
The stones in the US and UK must be a lot less damaging than in Oz. I've seen numerous broken head light covers on vehicles here.
Where I live consists of narrow two lane highway, with loose shoulders, resulting in lots of stones thrown up by trucks and cars. I replace at least two wind shields per year! (We drive 130 - 160 kms per day along this road).
In Oz, most non urban cars up here have headlight protectors!
I'll be buying a protector for sure.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.
Fair point, and thinking about it, USA might be similar. Most of the roadsides in the UK are made up or cultivated, and the main stone problems come from the small chippings used to resurface the tarmac. Anyone know who makes a good headlight protector?

Brian

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Hey Brian,

Either I haven't been paying attention, or missed it completely. I did know about your crash, but how'd it all turn out? How are you recovering? Did the bike get totalled, fixed, replaced?

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
baytown said:
I see that Sticker City now has dedicated 06 GT headlight protection kits in stock. $35 US.
I went to place an order however their postage rate to me in Australia for a thin film of this sheet was $45 US!
Jerry, you need to stock this stuff!
I'll see if I can contact some one over there to order through, as opposed to paying silly money for postage. (I use the US Postal Service for most US postage and have a good idea of costs for airmail to and from OZ)

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.
Ken, if you purchase this stuff and have it sent to me, I would be happy to forward it to you. If this solves your shipping I will send you my address.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts