BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a lurker on this forum for years and have the opportunity to finally tke the plunge and get a 2007 or 2008 GT. I'm a little worried about getting a bike almost 10 years old. If something breaks on these things how likely am I to still be able to get parts in a few years? I am worried thatI won't be able to get elctronics if they fail or other crucial parts. I expect to be keeping the bike for at least 3-5 years, maybe longer if it proves an enjoyable as all the reviews lead me to believe.

Thanks, and stay safe out there.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I am already aware of new replacement parts availability issues from the dealers. Here are two examples for my 2007 K1200GT that I know about:

* Side panels are not available.
* Replacement ESA shocks for my 2007 K1200GT are not available. These are the earlier potentiometer type. Compatible ESA shocks (2008 Hall Effect type) are available, but they require an expensive replacement onboard computer (ZFE?) for my 2007 model, which costs ~$750.

There is an active used part market, and many consumables can be rebuilt or replaced with third-party versions of those products, e.g., shocks, brake pads, etc.

Genuine BMW parts from a dealer are very expensive.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The parts BMW stopped making for the 12 GT are the ones that can be used from the 13GT and are readily available.

·
Registered
178 Posts
moymurfs said:
The parts BMW stopped making for the 12 GT are the ones that can be used from the 13GT and are readily available.

....What he said...

Buy the bike...you won't be sorry.

If you look at the availability of parts from the older bikes BMW has made, parts are almost always available.
Hard to get? Yes.
Expensive? Yes.
Available? Yes

Kbikeinbc
07 Kgt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts