BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been discussed and I missed it.

A few people have commented on how their saddlebags straps have come undone and their lovely painted saddlebag door falls freely to the ground and scratches it all up. :mad: But I think I may have discovered the problem. The problem is that these straps are NOT being installed correctly at the dealership (Mine wasn't!). When they are installed correctly, the straps are almost impossible to come off. See pic below...

I hope this thread saves someone some aggravation. :)

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Joe,

You are correct. I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post, but your picture shows what is so difficult to explain in words only.

Too bad I had to learn this the hard way. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Clip SWITCH

I looked at mine and sure enough, they are as you photographed and labeled as being incorrect in FIG A.

I attempted to switch it around to "as you pictured as being correct" FIG B.

To make the switch would require forcing the fixed bracket on the case into a wider position to allow the strap clip in.

I AIN'T GONNA DO IT. NO F****** WAY.

Sure as H*** that would snap off and then I wouldn't have any at all.

MY SOLUTION: When I open the case, it opens onto my leg and I will ease it open further if required.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sumner said:
What say you?
Yes, it's a really tight fit. That's the point. I used no tools, just kinda wiggled it and it went into place. You could use a lubricant...WD-40, Honda cleaner, etc., etc...

·
Registered
636 Posts
The Aussies are mucking it up as well.

G'day fellas.
I just checked mine, and yep, the Aussie BMW dealerships are screwing this fittment up as well.
I also tried to refit, and yep, bloody tight fit which I was loath to force.
I'll wait till I get home and use some lithium grease to see if that helps.
Thanks for the info re this issue.

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
baytown said:
G'day fellas.
I just checked mine, and yep, the Aussie BMW dealerships are screwing this fittment up as well.
I also tried to refit, and yep, bloody tight fit which I was loath to force.
I'll wait till I get home and use some lithium grease to see if that helps.
Thanks for the info re this issue.
Glad to see all is well 'down under'. It would be a real shame if only us Amarikans were getting special treatment. :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
messenger13 said:
Yes, it's a really tight fit. That's the point. I used no tools, just kinda wiggled it and it went into place. You could use a lubricant...WD-40, Honda cleaner, etc., etc...
Joe,

I've had a look at this and it would seem my retention straps would take on a "twist" if I follow this recommendation. Do yours twist, or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's twist again, like me did last summer!

SKIZIKS said:
Joe,

I've had a look at this and it would seem my retention straps would take on a "twist" if I follow this recommendation. Do yours twist, or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks.
Either way (correct or incorrect) that the clip is installed, the strap HAS to do a 90° twist. No big deal. Just make sure it's not twisting more than 90°, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
838 Posts
messenger13 said:
Either way (correct or incorrect) that the clip is installed, the strap HAS to do a 90° twist. No big deal. Just make sure it's not twisting more than 90°, and you're good to go.
Joe, mine retract straight in without any twist???

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SKIZIKS said:
Joe, mine retract straight in without any twist???
Impossible. The clip on the door holds the strap perpendicular to the ground. Meanwhile, the strap comes out of the reel parallel to the ground. It HAS to twist 90°. Know what I mean?

Post a pic. Yours might be different than mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts