BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be pulling my 08 GT later this summer. I'm familiar with securing my 06RT with BMW's paralever/telelever suspension. What about with this new duolever front end? Anyone experience trailering one of these. Thanks ahead of time.

Larry

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I trailer all the time...My soft tires are too expensive to waste slabbing it.. I recommend buying a Baxley chock and forgetabout primitive front tiedowns...The Baxley is not cheap but not only will you have total piece of mind knowing your GT is secure, but your loading and unloading time is cut down to a matter of minutes..or even seconds. You'll have no fears of straps loosening or the bike shifting.. or straps marring the paint.. or compressing the front end too far, or getting the straps on one side tighter than the other.. etc..

I ride my bike right into the chock.. get off, flip the lock switch on, put 2 ties downs on the rear and walk away.. Takes me under 60 seconds to lock my bike into place or unlock.. I'm not kidding.. these things are man's greatest invention next to the microwave and A/C

·
Registered
414 Posts
Jerry is correct, the Baxley is a slick setup. I usually use two tie-downs per side in the rear, for peace of mind. :) I have never had a tie-down come loose, but I have heard plenty of horror stories.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I need a little help, as it will hard to carry Baxley along for ferry rides.

Will be taking the Ferry from Portland MA, to Yarmount NS this summer.

What suggestions for tie down points, and should it be on the sidestand or the centerstand.

It was easy on the R with telelever, lots of secure reachable places.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
414 Posts
aj7840 said:
I need a little help, as it will hard to carry Baxley along for ferry rides.

Will be taking the Ferry from Portland MA, to Yarmount NS this summer.

What suggestions for tie down points, and should it be on the sidestand or the centerstand.

It was easy on the R with telelever, lots of secure reachable places.

Thanks for the help
I wouldn't tie it down on the center stand, because the GT center stand stops have been known to bend.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Bent stands and trailers

JamesM said:
I wouldn't tie it down on the center stand, because the GT center stand stops have been known to bend.
It's not the center stand that bends, it's the (thin) stops that keep it from going too far past vertical. But yeah, once these start to bend the problem will only get worse and trailering it with any weight on those little tabs would be a horrible idea. I wouldn't trailer a bike on the centerstand anyway, might as well have the suspension working in your favor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts