BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried an LED low beam bulb? I had another Sylvania Silver Star burn up on our last day in Utah.

I'm to busy/lazy to research and install an HID kit. I replaced the fog light bulbs on my truck withe them and like them, but didn't use a reflector type bulb. Great performance but not very fair to others on the road:sad. I save them for real weather.

Trying to think outside the box - and improve performance of course!

·
Registered
549 Posts
After blowing through too many H7 low beams to count, I finally bit the bullet and installed an HID. That was several years ago the HID is still going strong.

As for the LED replacement, they weren't an option back when I did my conversion. I'm haven't seen one in person, but looking at pictures I'm not sure how it would fit. Those fins look almost to big to fit in the housing.

NOTE: I recently went to a Jap bike dealer to get my Texas state inspection done and they kicked it back saying they could not inspect it because it had an HID and HID was only allowed on bikes that came with it. I think that's BS, so I'm taking to a place that does inspections on bikes and cars and see what they say. If they give me any grief I'm just going to tell them it was an option on that bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking the same thing - not enough room without reworking the access hatch, and I don't want to do that.

Regarding the inspection, it was an option so you are not fibbing there. But I believe it used a completely different reflector set up to shade the center of the HID bulb. Not sure as I have never looked closely at one.

H7 bulbs have an area at the tip of the bulb blocked to prevent the bright center of the bulb from projecting forward. Too bright. If you put in an HID bulb it doesn't have that block, so is extremely bright. Brighter than legal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I recently went to a Jap bike dealer to get my Texas state inspection done and they kicked it back saying they could not inspect it because it had an HID and HID was only allowed on bikes that came with it.
I live in Texas and my R12RT had two HID bulbs. Never had an issue with an inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone tried an LED low beam bulb? I had another Sylvania Silver Star burn up on our last day in Utah.

I'm to busy/lazy to research and install an HID kit. I replaced the fog light bulbs on my truck withe them and like them, but didn't use a reflector type bulb. Great performance but not very fair to others on the road:sad. I save them for real weather.

Trying to think outside the box - and improve performance of course!
"Timing is everything" they say. I just put an H7 LED (low beam, upper hole) in my 2000 K1200RS this weekend (Fri nite) and then drove it all day Sat. When I first pulled the cover off the rear of the headlight I thought there is NO WAY this big fan on the end of this LED will fit, but being hardheaded I tried it anyway. And IT FIT!! NO problem. Actually there is much more room that looks possible.

These are the LED's I got. 5000 lumens each bulb, only sold here in pairs so I have an extra. There are plenty on AM and Ebay. [URL="H7 LED"]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07332XYDP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]

I was hoping to get better pics of the install. None show exactly how well it fits in there.

The real problem is the H3 high beam LED fit. This one is a problem.

Here are all the pics, I hope. This website is being very balky righ now. Hope this works..

https://goo.gl/photos/V7sQJGJHnZ92XrrG8

·
Registered
549 Posts
"Timing is everything" they say. I just put an H7 LED (low beam, upper hole) in my 2000 K1200RS this weekend (Fri nite) and then drove it all day Sat. When I first pulled the cover off the rear of the headlight I thought there is NO WAY this big fan on the end of this LED will fit, but being hardheaded I tried it anyway. And IT FIT!! NO problem. Actually there is much more room that looks possible.

These are the LED's I got. 5000 lumens each bulb, only sold here in pairs so I have an extra. There are plenty on AM and Ebay. [URL="H7 LED"]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07332XYDP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]

I was hoping to get better pics of the install. None show exactly how well it fits in there.

The real problem is the H3 high beam LED fit. This one is a problem.

Here are all the pics, I hope. This website is being very balky righ now. Hope this works..

https://goo.gl/photos/V7sQJGJHnZ92XrrG8
So how do you like the LED? Do you think it's better than HID?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts