BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put the R1200GS handguards on the bike. Ordered the handguards and picked them up today. We test fitted the right side with a M6 x50 hex head bolt and a washer on a floor bike at my local dealer. Did not install the mirror bracket. Just the bar end part.

Came home and installed the right side promptly with the mirror bracket swap. Left side would not install due to the clutch cable being in the way. Took a dremel with a cutoff wheel and proceeded to trim the inside edge back. Leaving the top intact. Just cut away the bottom edge on an angle. Still it was a tight fit and had to stretch the plastic piece to line it up with the mirror bracket hole.

All in all. Turned out very good. This will come in handy on my trip to Death Valley starting Thursday. My riding buddies tell me it got down to 16 degr F on the way back last year.

Just waiting for electrified tank bag to show up so I can power up a couple of items.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
It looks like you discarded the aluminum washers that come with guards, then used a standard washer between the bolt head and the guard?

I went back and used a dremel as well to make cut-outs after the guard buzzed againt the clutch line elbow at 6000rpm.

I just rode home in the rain (our first rain in 120 days and the highway was slick as snot) and enjoyed the lack of drops hitting my hands. I haven't had handguards before and I like them.

What screen is that and do the handguards allow full steering?

Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Which Part umber for Handguards?

Are these R1150 or R1200 model handguards. What part number(s) needed? Worth it?

THX

·
Registered
217 Posts
They are from the R1200GS (at least mine are). I got them from BMW of Santa Cruz for $70. After I did mine I posted a how-to on the BMWK1200S site.

Someone else has done the same but without bolting the end on, feeling that they pop over secure enough on their own, and this thread looks like another variation. The result looks OK to me and is very functional. No more painful fingertips in the cold, though I do use ski gloves and heated grips.

I have a picture of mine with guards at the link below, and there is also a BMW Santa Cruz link there.
http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2253

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did replace with flat washer and allen bolt.

That's the tinted sport screen. It is an available option from BMW.

I was inspired by your writeup to do this. Didn't want to pay $400 for a CF one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
DoH!

Just saw that your orignal post said R1200GS, plainly. Senior moments happening to me more often. Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, not senior. I am so used to typing K1200LT or K1200RS or K1200R, that I naturally typed K1200GS insteead of R1200GS. So I edited my post and fixed my error.

Sorry,

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks Good Raffy!

but the KTM handguards look sooo much better! in my humble opinion of course..the GS handguards just look too square for the KR.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ignore Amos said:
but the KTM handguards look sooo much better! in my humble opinion of course..the GS handguards just look too square for the KR.
I tend slightly towards functionality over looks. I have this bike because I think it's the best bike, but don't mind the GS "ears" on it. Do the CF ones provide the same protection?

·
Registered
121 Posts
HuecoDoc said:
Do the CF ones provide the same protection?
I don't have CF- mine are from a KTM 950 (about $45) and I do believe they provide the same level of protection as the K1200GS's just a little purtier in my view.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
raffyk said:
...My riding buddies tell me it got down to 16 degr F on the way back last year...
Howdy Raffy,

It was 15F, but who noticed ;)

Seriously, the hand guards will be much appreciated if it it gets cold....and it will get cold.

Wish I was going :(

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good catch.

I did end up removing the Sport screen and replaced it with the stock screen. The handguard would hit the Sport screen when trying a full left or right steering turn. Glad i tested it the night before the trip.

Thank you for the heads-up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't suppose either the BMW or the KTM handguards would work with the throttlemeister set up, huh?

And, BTW, thanks Raffy and Amos for posting pics.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wondering the same thing...

If I had to guess I would think so but since I'm waiting for another throttle control besides the Throttlemeister (I think they're too hard to use compare to others) I going to find a Kaoko and see if it'll work (it's much easier to use) but nothing I know of besides the T/M is made specifically for the K/R- let us know if you try it and your results..

·
Registered
349 Posts
I friend with a 1200gs with hand guards also has a throttlemeister installed. So I have to believe it could be made to work on an R.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the Throttlemeisters for the K12R but did not use it for my trip. I can certainly try to see if I can get it to fit.

The one specific for the GS comes with a longer bolt and a washer/end cap from Throttlemeister. I guess if there are enough inquiries to Throttlemeister, they would make the same available for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There is Kaoko control for the K1200R and the GS handguards do not interfere with it. At least, I got a Kaoko from Adventurer's Workshop and remember some thing about it not being listed or pictured. It still is not listed there.

Kaoko-CCF500 on the invoice, for the K1200S and R.

I really haven't used mine much as I haven't taken any long trips.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried it. Yes and no. It will fit fine. Problem is when the bolt is installed through the washer then handguard and then through the Throttlemeister (TM), it is tightening up solid and the TM is no longer turning. I even added extra washers and removed some. I reinstalled the TM without the handguard with the stock TM supplied bolt. The bolt head nestles inside the TM. So maybe that is the problem or I need a spacer washer between the TM and the handguard.

Will have to test a few more options to see if I can make it work. Didn't have much time this morning before work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts