BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new GT home the other day and thought I would readjust the handlebars. I may be a little slow mechanical wise but it seemed pretty straight forward. I loosened the spring loaded screws and moved the bars to the new position, easy enough, but now I am unable to retighten the screws.

It seems as though they will not go in far enough to snug the handlebar assembly back in place. Am I missing something here? It's like the screws have hit some kind of internal stop, like there is no thread left.

Any help in solving this mystery sure would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
You may not have it in one of the grooves. When you loosen the bolts, loosen them ALL the way. The assembly will not let the bolts out, so you don't have to worry about them falling out. Move to new position and make sure the parts are meeting properly, then tighten the bolts. They don't need to be real tight, but the parts will mate properly.

I'm not saying that is what the problem is, just saying that procedure worked for me. :yeah:

·
Registered
98 Posts
You need to remove the black cover on the inside of the bars and loosen up the retaining nuts first. then you can adjust the bars. after you have done that, tighten the torx screws on the outside of the bars, making sure the screws don't lock up against the inside nuts. after the torx screws are tight, tighten the inside nuts and replace the plastic cover. after you do it once its real easy - but the first time its a bit wierd.

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! I didn't remove the end caps from the rear of the adjustment screws and it was binding up. Kinda feel like an idiot, seems really obvious now. Guess it's all part of the learning curve.

·
Registered
650 Posts
bombteck said:
Thanks for the help! I didn't remove the end caps from the rear of the adjustment screws and it was binding up. Kinda feel like an idiot, seems really obvious now. Guess it's all part of the learning curve.
Glad to hear you got it sorted but you shouldnt need to undo the the securing nuts on the rear to adjust the bars.
Next time you try it, give it another go by just using the front screws and see if it works and if not find whats binding it.

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean, I wouldn't think that the end caps would even come into play. After examining the setup, other than to serve as some sort of thread protector I don't see any purpose to the end caps. After retightening the assembly and replacing the end caps there is about a 1/4in of thread visible between the caps and the handlebars. I guess I should have took more of a mental picture of what it looked like before messing with it. Anyway, the bars are readjusted and tight and all seems ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a bit of a time with refitting my 1200gt bars i had to take them off to fit a GPS bracket, Can anyone tell me the correct sequence of bolts,washers etc.
I think it is from the tank side (onto the bolt) spring,Ushape plate, Tee bolt then lock nut.
Does this sound about right?

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Here you go, mate.

Last November I installed a set of Suburban Machinery bar backs, and took photos with the intent of posting a How To someday. This is a photo showing the order of the original parts. The washer goes on the "top" side. Everything else goes on the tank side.

Oh, and put another shrimp on the barbie for me. :)

Attachments

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Here you go, mate.

Last November I installed a set of Suburban Machinery bar backs, and took photos with the intent of posting a How To someday. This is a photo showing the order of the original parts. The washer goes on the "top" side. Everything else goes on the tank side.

Oh, and put another shrimp on the barbie for me. :)
How are those bar backs working for you? I've been thinking about getting a set.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
slowflyn said:
How are those bar backs working for you? I've been thinking about getting a set.
It is a very personal thing. Each person's response will be different.

I put them on for a very long ride last November (Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000) and was very glad to have them. I was too lazy to take them off, but I don't really like them for most day-to-day riding. I have another very long ride planned in the near future, so I will leave them on until afterwards. As soon as I get back, I will definitely take them off until the next long ride.

Note: You can only set the handlebars in the first three positions on the bar backs. This is simply a matter of cable length of the original cables, so it applies to any handlebar extender that matches the bar back's positioning. If you want to use those last two positions, you must buy and install extended cables. In my opinion, it is not worth the cost and effort.

Bottom line (for me, YMMV):

Very Long Rides: Bar Backs on. Couldn't live without them.
Medium Rides: Bar Backs off. Handlebars in the high position.
Daily Commutes and Twisties: Bar Backs off. Handlebars in the low position.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Handlebar Adjustment

As X Magna said; ¨"the longer cables do not justify the expense..." Believe me I know. Silly me got the risers ordered longer cables. WRONG!!! Should have gone to my wrench and asked about price to do the cables. Got there with the cables. This machine is very tech when you start digging into it. Bottom line was somewhere in the area of 8 - 12 hours shop labour! That was if there no glitches!

Bryan
NuKGT
`06 CGM
The Fastest Colour!!!
Oakville, Ontario

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Thanks for the opinions on the bar backs.

Sorry for the hijack.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Bryan, did you get the cables installed after all? Or decide not to do it?

Where did you get the "longer" cables from?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts