BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Not wanting to re-invent the wheel.
Looking to provide that more upright position, and the standard adjustment isnt enough. Had a look at the wunderlich site, but Im sure there are others.
Beside the expense, is it a drama replacing/extending brake lines as required, and then bleeding. Ive got the Integrated ABS so from what Ive read, that means a pressure bleeder??
Im 5'8, havent had the sore wrists as yet, but havent done a lot of miles either.. Ive got a big trip coming up (16000 klms) in June.
Not sure if the shorter barbacks will be enough or rather longer ones, and extend the brake lines etc.
Maybe I should wait a while and see if the standard is ok, but I have them on the far back position and feel more would be better.
I guess you guys have covered this a zillion times, but any feedback is good.
cheers all
Marty Aust.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
barbacks

Oooops, I forgot to mention, the bike.....RS1200

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Two thoughts on this...barbacks is one, the other is get used to it. Pull the bars back to the furthest rearward position, and follow Master Yoda's riding position document. Based on previous posts, there's a 50/50 chance that the bars will be fine, once you're used to them. I've got 60k miles on my GT, and wouldn't even think of barbacks. On long distance trips, I put the seat in the high position, but that's about it. Coming from a K75RT, the riding position was a bit too forward, but now that I'm used to it, it's good for a three-day-ride to THCR.:ricky

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ray, worth a thought for sure..
I came off a 93 K1100RS, and felt really comfy on that. Im sure it was a lot more upright.
But I guess, more upright means more wind....
Ive been looking at screens as well.
Cheers

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hello:

I put Suburban II Barbacks on my GT and love them. Had to replace the clutch and brake cables, but it was worth it. Initially I had the Type I's installed and they were not enouth for me so I had them replaced with the type II's which fit me better.

I think that your body type really makes a big issue with respect to your comfort level on the bike. While I'm 6'2", I only have a 30' inseam so I have more upper body than most my height. I guess that is why the stock position just wan NOT for me.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I installed 30mm. American Machine barbacks from Pirate. Did not have to replace any control cables or hoses. They made a big difference in comfort for me.
Bruce C

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wonder which

I wonder which risers are fitted to your bike from new? Here in the States, BMW offered two different bar risers. When the bike was first introduced, they used a lower riser and offered " comfort " risers as an option. When the bike was redesigned in 2002, they switched to using the taller risers as stock and offered the original, lower risers as an option. Having compared the old risers with bar backs and the newer, taller risers without, I feel the new risers are a great compromise. I have heard the BMW stuck with the lower risers in other markets. You might check to see which are fitted to your bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Razel said:
Two thoughts on this...barbacks is one, the other is get used to it. Pull the bars back to the furthest rearward position, and follow Master Yoda's riding position document. Based on previous posts, there's a 50/50 chance that the bars will be fine, once you're used to them.
I agree with Razel. Let your body get used to the stock position over some riding time. I had an '03 RS and now an '04 GT. In both cases, I tried barbacks and ending up taking them off. BMW has thought it out well.

IMHO, the problem is the minute you change the bars, your changed seating position will affect desired windscreen height, comfort on your on your thighs and buttocks, and perceived change of confidence in handling.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I echo GilaMonster. Change the bars, then you'll be doing the seat, the screen and the peg lowering and have all the wind noise helmet issues. My wrists still ache a bit, but I do a lot of city riding. You need speed and lots of air in front to push you rearwards and I think that's how the K's ergos are designed. Below 50-60 mph with a comfort screen, the stock seat is always trying to push you forwards on to the tank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Although I use the 30mm on the comfort risers, I must say you guys are right. I bought my bike used with a Corbin seat which is appx 1 1/2-2 inches taller than my stock seat. With the Corbin all is great...with the stock seat, the barback are not user friendly.
JMc

·
Registered
522 Posts
barbacks

I had the 30mm ones from American Machine(1 season) and replaced the cables, even though i didn't have to. I found they were even worse because they changed the angle and made you ride with your elbows out and up.

Now I'm back to stock and find it more comfortable; give it a chance before you change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I posted elsewhere, my 2001 K1200RS isn't too uncomfortable for solo commuting, but leaned too far forward for 2-up distance touring. I carry too much of my 160lbs on my wrists, and my 100lbs girlfriend has to tip her head back because our helmets bang. The "just get used to it" advice doesn't work for me! My slow, unreliable, upright R100R is much more comfortable for both of us.

My RS appears to have the 2001 factory "comfort" option bar back. Does anyone know what size that corresponds to in aftermarket parts so I can choose something bigger?

·
Registered
50 Posts
hanblebar barbacks

I can't agree with the position, "Get used to it." I had my GT out on a 14 day, 6000+ mile trip and in my mind that is plenty of time to "get used to it", but I didn't. I had hurts all through my back and neck and shoulders that any number of positions would not relieve. Believe me on a trip that long one has plenty of time for trying out things. I will say that the Master Yoda position worked for me for several days, particularly the part about using your stomach muscles to take some stress off your back. but that in the middle of the ride things started to break down.

When I got home I put on some Suburban Type I barbacks, which I think will help. These are not too radical and one can still appy the Master's position to keep the stress off one's wrists and arms. These machines in stock trim are comfortable enough for a one day ride for anyone, but when you start stringing the days together, all the little irritations become big and they carry over from one day to the next. Maybe if you conditioned yourself over a period of time, increasing the time in the saddle progressively, you could build a level of fittness that would hold you in good stead on any long trip, but most of us don't have the time for this.

Ride safe.

Larry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks all

This site is terrific.
After all the info, I got the pirate to send me the American Machine version, and I got a laminar Lip.
Really happy with both.
I'm only 5'8" so maybe that makes a difference.
Im heading off (in 5 sleeps time :D ) for a lap of Australia.
42 days, 14,000 or 16,000 klms. YEEHA
I'm hoping these things improve the long distance comfort.
I also put on the rear footpeg lowering kit for my girl. He says they made a huge difference for her comfort. She is travelling part of the trip also (about 5,000 klms, 14 days)
Ive also got music, good friends and a few bad habits to keep me company.
cheers all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.