BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why I have problems selecting 1st gear when the transmission is in neutral standing still? Thanks

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
For the last 50,000 miles ....

GT5_33 said:
Does anyone know why I have problems selecting 1st gear when the transmission is in neutral standing still? Thanks
I just slip out the clutch as I press down on the shifter. I think the twin guys call it "character". ;)

p.s. Put a dab of oil on the felt washers on the shift linkage every once in awhile. It won't help 1st, but 2nd thru 6th will like it.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Shift from neutral to 1st is difficult...

Shift from neutral to first should be pretty much as easy as it is to go from 1st to 2nd gear (unless your doing this on a very cold day or your bike is new.
This could be a sign of something else. You don't mention miles on odometer, but if not new, check you slave cylinder for leakage or any oil leakage. Look at back of motor (Left side) and also get a good light on it so you can really see the metal. Check front of motor (behind front wheel, on Right side) for any fluids weeping. Also check belly pan for anything which may have leaked down that far.
If you see any fluids (oil, clutch fluid) it's time to either pull plastics off or get it in to shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Open the reservoir and check the rubber gasket.

If it's depressed and deformed, take it out, reshape it to normal, and re-assemble.

You can thank me later. ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
The answer to your question is that when you are in neutral with the clutch in and the bike isn't turning there may be no relative motion of the gears so if the teeth, dogs or whatever meshes aren't lined up right, they will never mesh. If you're on a hill you can try rolling a little but I just let the clutch out a little and then put it back in as I push on the shift lever. --Jerry

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
just engage the clutch and release it so as to get the gears moving again...cold oil will make it so when you disengage the clutch the gearsstop turning.....thats all....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard Shifting GT

Thanks everyone for your help. I live in Ft Lauderdale Florida and I tried just barely engaging the clutch while shifting to 1st gear. It worked great. It was in the mid 40's in the morning and the gear lube was cold. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Question

Glad you found a solution. May I ask if you put it in neutral every time you stop for a light?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard Shifting GT

Yes, I put the bike in neutral at lights if a long light. The lights in south Florida can last two minutes or more. I don't like holding the clutch disengaged for that long. Most of the time after the initial startup, I don't have any trouble getting from neutral to 1st.

·
Registered
437 Posts
same problem

my '04 kgt does the same thing in tampabay. the guy with the gearmesh story is right and gets bonus points........shift into first IMMEDIATELY after engaging clutch, initial engagement synchs the gears. she should slip right in.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Bingo

CABNFVR said:
You should have added,
" ... after checking the mirrors."

People will post.
Cabn, you win the prize. That is where I was going. One riding tip that stuck in my mind, and my mind is like teflon at times, that I read in Pirates Lair (riding tips link) is the story about leaving yourself an escape path at a stop light in the event someone's head is not where it's supposed to be when coming up behind you. Just lookin' out for ya. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard Shifting GT

I understand your comments about leaving your bike in gear while at a stop and always looking for an escape route for traffic from behind, side and/or forward. I have taken several classes and know the preferred method is to leave the bike in gear with only one foot on the ground ready to move. I appreciate everyone's comments and/or suggestions. However, I do bend the rules in some cases. As I stated earlier, I do not like to have the clutch disengaged for long periods. While I am stopped and in neutral or in gear, I'm always on the look out for traffic and/or possible hazards. Thanks again for you help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts