BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow GT'ers,
I am having a bit more trouble than I should be installing my Centec fuse panel on top of my battery. How is everyone mounting the panel in this area? I know some of the guys have said they used velcro type products, but what are you attaching the velcro to beneath the fuse panel? I gotta figure it is not safe to screw the mounting screws into the top of the battery. If I mount the panel on top of a small piece of metal, then I have the nuts on the bottom of the metal piece that would prevent the velcro from making good contact with the battery top and the bottom of the panel's attached metal base. I MUST be making this harder than it has to be. What am I missing here? :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ken,
I mounted the Centec to a small piece of Plexiglas (counter sunk the screw heads), and then stuck the Plexiglas to the top of the battery.
If you are just mounting one Centec, a better place is on the small shelf under the left panel. I also have one mounted there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I mounted it on the metal piece that hold down the battery. I drilled two holes in it and bolted it to the two botton mounting holes on the fuse pannel. It is centered and on hte edge of the battery facing the rider position. It worked out very well, looks neat, and is easy to access.

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JamesM said:
Ken,
I mounted the Centec to a small piece of Plexiglas (counter sunk the screw heads), and then stuck the Plexiglas to the top of the battery.
If you are just mounting one Centec, a better place is on the small shelf under the left panel. I also have one mounted there.
The plexiglas idea sounds great. I already used the shelf by the ABS unit for my strebel horn and bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
centec mounting

Mount Centec To Small Piece Of Plexi-glass. 1/8" Thickness; Screwed To Centec @ The Corners. Use Velcro, "loop/furry Side" On Bottom Of Plexi-glass. This Will Cushion Screw Heads That Stick-up Slightly. Afix "hook" Side Of Velcro On Battery And Attach. Easy Enough.

·
Registered
135 Posts
RadioShack Dual-Lock

For any project where velcro <might> be used I prefer using Dual-Lock which can be picked up at RadioShack (I think they sell similar at Home Depot etc.)

The reason I use this product is that the lock is a lot more aggressive than velcro. Both sides are plastic 'loops' - and when they're put together it's significantly more secure than velcro.

The only downside is it's greatest strength (although I don't think you'll have an issue w/ the Centech unit) - the locking of the two sides is very aggressive. If your using this product to mount something flexible it can be difficult to separate dual-lock. You might have to pull on it a bit - or use a flat blade screwdriver or the like to start separation. In any case, you'll NEVER be concerned about the unit coming off on it's own.

·
Lieu
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mjkuhno said:
For any project where velcro <might> be used I prefer using Dual-Lock which can be picked up at RadioShack (I think they sell similar at Home Depot etc.)

The reason I use this product is that the lock is a lot more aggressive than velcro. Both sides are plastic 'loops' - and when they're put together it's significantly more secure than velcro.

The only downside is it's greatest strength (although I don't think you'll have an issue w/ the Centech unit) - the locking of the two sides is very aggressive. If your using this product to mount something flexible it can be difficult to separate dual-lock. You might have to pull on it a bit - or use a flat blade screwdriver or the like to start separation. In any case, you'll NEVER be concerned about the unit coming off on it's own.
This is the stuff I ended up using. It is specifically designed to hold up to the higher temperatures that you might get from the engine. I also went with the plexiglas. I only had some thin stuff so I ended up gluing together several pieces to make some thickness so I could counter sink the screws. Worked out great. I will take pics tonight.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts