BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hardwire my gps. i have a gps hardwire cable and want to know how to wire it on a k1200r sport. Can it be wired directly to the battery

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
gps

Is there anyone who has hardwired a garmin 550 on a k1200r sport using the existing harness right in front of the battery? I found the connecting wire harness , part #83300413585 and want to know if I can use a mini usb to hardwire the gps?

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Mark, I had the same thought about wiring my new Garmin 1490. It turned out the voltage was different and I would have fried my GPS if I had done it. My solution was to get a cigarette accessory adapter and wire that to the battery, then use a cigarette lighter plug/accessory power cord to the GPS. It's always hot, but I don't leave the GPS on my bike when I'm not there anyway. All the wiring is under the left side tupperware. I like the idea that if I get a new GPS, all I have to do is get a new cradle and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I hardwired my NUVI 455 to the harness in front of the battery on my '07 GT without a problem. Works fine and powers down about 20 seconds after turning off key. Be aware that there are two power leads from the plug and one ground. The ground on mine is brown and the power is red/white and the third wire is a blue/green that is a pulsed power cable that is to be used with the stock BMW GPS only. :teeth

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I ended up doing is I bought the powerlet cigarette adapter that hooks up with a SAE connector directly to the battery tender SAE plug . Powerlet has a solution for many different applications and if they dont have what you need they will make it. Thanks Guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts