BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 with 74K has started to ride really harsh....almost like it's stuck in 2 up with luggage. I know the shocks are old, but I would have thought that if they were shot the ride would be really mushy and wallowy, not harsh.

I did a search on here and found a few references to applying 12v directly to the top of the shock and toggling the ESA between 1 and 2 up several times. I haven't tried the toggling yet but does anyone have a how to on applying 12v to the shock? Like where is the wire I need to hit?

And lastly, will 07 - 08 shocks work on my 06?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
The dealer did that to "free up" my ESA shock once, but I didn't see which wires they used.

At 74K though, you're probably well past needing new shocks.

The factory ESA units are stupid-expensive, but you can go with an aftermarket vendor such as Öhlins or Wilbers, although that means losing the ESA function.

Works Performance can supply ESA-compatible shocks for a reasonable price, but they need the controller off of your old shocks, so the bike stays down while the shocks are being converted.

That should give you some options to think about . . .

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I read all that in the search I did. I'm hoping I can free it up, but if not I guess new shocks are in order. I did read during my search that there's a place that will rebuild the originals, but I haven't called them yet to verify.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, sir! I'll check out that post and Wilbers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You may find they've lost their gas which results in a harsh, and lower ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts