BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone out there removed thier bikes luggage rails and rear luggage rack, it it a big deal? Any tricks? How does the key hole look without the luggage rails? Also I notice that when the luggage rack is removed there is a grab bar left, is that the front of the luggage rack? Do you have to leave the grab bar or can it be removed completely?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
It has been a while since I removed the luggage rack and rails for hard cases.
As I remember it was fairly straight forward.

1. There is a plastic piece which extends the lock from the frame to the right rail. ONce the rail is removed, nothing holds this extender in place so be sure to secure it.

2. Removing hte rear panels was requred.

3. Allen wrenches with ball end jonts were helpful to get into some of the hardware.

4. Answer to your second question is yes.

·
Registered
828 Posts
prretty simple and striaght forward

I remove the luggage rails and rack when not in use. Since I have become an extremely light traveler (containing everything to my tank bag) I am more seldom putting the rails back on the bike.

Removal of the rails are pretty simple, 8 bolts total (6 - torx and 2 - 8mm hex). As said before the barrel lock uses an extender - keep this part in a safe place along with all the screws you are removing. Remove the lock from the rail is pretty straightforward, put your key into the lock and use a screwdriver to depress the security mechanism. THen you should be able to pull the lock straight out. Use a screwdriver to depress the security mechanism while you insert back into the tail section.

Removal of the luggage rack uses 3 - torx screws. I use the angled wrench provided in the tool kit, which makes getting at the screws easier. Or just leave the rack on, doesn't look too terrible on the bike.

As for the grab bar, I leave that on the bike. No problems are created if you do remove the bar, but it will leave somewhat of a gap between the seat and the tail.

Installation is the reverse of taking everything off, with the exception of the lock. The biggest pain is removing the barrel lock. I find it easy to use a 1 mm allen wrench to depress the security stop.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
274 Posts
rear rack

The only reason I leave the rear rack on is to provide some shade for the brake light;
I figure, the sun is not hitting the top of the brake light directly, so it helps to have a little more contrast back there.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I just put some rails on! Although I don't put the oem luggage on much, I've got a seat tail bag and the rails now give me some fixing points in the right place, which I didn't have before.

If you take the rails off, try to put the small black plastic plugs back in the seat grab rail, as the threads will corrode easy and may foul up refitting rails in the future.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
828 Posts
plastic plugs?

voxmagna said:
If you take the rails off, try to put the small black plastic plugs back in the seat grab rail, as the threads will corrode easy and may foul up refitting rails in the future.
Sounds like a decent and low cost idea. Where can you get these plugs? Dealer? I have seen them before in pictures, but I never realized where to make the purchase.

ONON-
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts